Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Freedom Elite 30FE Mods

Bought our (used, had 1063 miles on it) 2018 Freedom Elite 30FE just about two months ago. We transitioned from a 26 ft TT. The ONLY thing I miss from the TT is the outdoor kitchen.
I knew when I bought the RV that I was going to have to do a few mods to make it like we wanted it.
First off was the bed extension. I'd prefer a King bed but can live with a Queen as long as it's long enough for my 6'3" body. The RV Queen just doesn't hack it. I had to extend the bed in my TT so I had a good starting point.
When the bedroom slide is in the stowed position, the cabinets actually touch the foot of the mattress. Fortunately, the existing mattress extended over the bed platform so there was some room for me to add a fold down extension.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2253-1.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	13809
Originally I bought a foam block to insert between the wall and the head of the mattress that pushed the mattress down to make it long enough for me to lay on it. But, the existing mattress proved to be uncomfortable so we decided to replace it with a more comfortable one.

After a lot of research, we had a custom mattress made by Mattress Insider in Colorado. https://www.mattressinsider.com/
Had the mattress made to our dimensions (H, W & L) and due to its length, had a hinge incorporated so it folds up out of the way in order to retract the bedroom slide.

Name:	IMG_2368-1.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	13810

Name:	IMG_2369-1.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	13811
Now when we are ready to pack up and leave, I flip up the mattress foot, fold down the bed extension and retract the slide without breaking anything. (I did put a placard by the slide switch to remind myself (and others) to fold the bed extension down.

Next was the Dinette. I don't think the designers were thinking about comfort when they designed this unit. The dinette is on the passenger's side and the back of the forward dinette bench rests solidly against the upright passenger seat in the cab. This makes it impossible to even slightly recline the passenger seat.

Name:	IMG_2342-1.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	13812
At first I thought about rebuilding dinette bench to allow the back to be folded down, but since that would have eliminated the storage under that seat anyway, I decided to just remove the bench entirely any use two chairs instead. I found two nice folding chairs on CW website and ordered them. They actually look like they were intended for this use. When we travel, the chairs are folded up and stowed with the ladder on the over cab bunk.

Name:	IMG_2347-1.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	13813

Continued in part2.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #2

THOR #12827
Re-posted, this time with photos that are viewable.

When I test drove the RV for the first time, for me, the steering felt loose. After researching steering stabilizers I decide to buy the Roadmaster RSSC Reflex Stabilize Unit and mounting kit. After a fairly easy installation, the RV drove a lot better in my opinion.

Name:	IMG_2332-1.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	13842

We didn't like the fact that the entry door had frosted glass. While I know it was used to help with privacy, I wanted to be able to see out the window in the door before opening it. On my TT I had installed a Zarco window shade kit.

Name:  Window Shade.jpg
Views: 2786
Size:  11.7 KB
It comes with a clear piece of glass and the shade itself. It can be easily installed and opens and closes fine.

Name:	IMG_2289-1.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	13844

Name:	IMG_2290-1.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	13845
While I was at it, I installed a better handrail at the entry door because DW has hip and knee issues.

My TT had an amber porch light that I could use when the fur babies had to go out on patrol in the middle of the night. On this unit, the only outdoor lighting was the bright LED strip under the awing. I found a motion detecting amber outdoor fixture on etrailer and ordered it. I wired it to a new switch I installed on the side of the cabinet in the entryway (also installed a small panel that has a 12v DC outlet and USB ports as well as a meter that shows the battery charging.

Name:	IMG_2362-1.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	13847

Name:	IMG_2363-1.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	13846
I can either manually turn on the outside light or leave it armed so any outside motion within range will turn it

Lastly, for now, I mounted the folding 7 ft ladder I had used on my TT. on the rear bumper of this unit.

Name:	IMG_2358-1.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	13848
Name:  20319nnew.jpg
Views: 2773
Size:  2.0 KB

More to come at a later date.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #3

THOR #12827
The latest Mods to our Freedom Elite 30FE
Installed roof vent covers. I had problems with a previous camper that the roof vents wold open while driving (differential pressure I guess) and rain would get in.

Name:	Vent covers.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	14513

I didn't like the slider type thermostat that came on the vehicle, so I replaced it with a digital thermostat. Very easy to install. Was a wire for wire swap. The new thermostat can now control the temperature within 1 or 2 degrees

Name:	Thermostat.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	14514

For me, the outdoor TV was not an option I would be using. On the other hand, the lack of a TV in the bedroom was a negative. So, I removed the 32" TV from the outdoor location and installed it in the bedroom at the provisions provide by the factory. As for the outdoor location, I have plans to build a folding table that I can use for outdoor cooking.

Name:	TV.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	14515

I wanted to upgrade the Radio in the Dash. We like XM radio so I found a Kenwood unit at Crutchfield that fit in the same location. With an add on module, the Kenwood became fully XM capable.It took me a lot longer to r&r the radio than I expected. I got instructions on how to remove the dash but it wasn't as simple as you would think. While I was at it, I replaced the crummy sounding cabin speakers with some Kenwood's.

Name:	Radio.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	14516

Name:	Speaker.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	14517

That's it for now. More to come when the weather gets warmer.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:42 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
nice coach. reminds me i need to make a mod thread for my 31E.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:02 AM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I would be interested in seeing more pictures of the bed extender that you made. We have the same model that you do but put in a sleep number I ours but the end of the mattress hangs over so it would be nice to make a support for the end.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #6

THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
I would be interested in seeing more pictures of the bed extender that you made. We have the same model that you do but put in a sleep number I ours but the end of the mattress hangs over so it would be nice to make a support for the end.

I used a piece of particle board I had laying around for the extension (plywood would work just as well). To stiffen the extension between the support brackets I glued and screwed a piece of 1x2 to the underside.

Bought these

Name:	Bed bracket.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	14528
From Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are rated at 330lbs each.

I used pieces of 2x4 inside the bed frame to reinforce the attach points for the brackets. This puts some of the load into the floor instead of just the bed frame.
Here is a better photo of the support brackets.

Name:	Bed.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	14533
Old 12-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Awesome writeup. I love all of your ideas.

I never seen anyone remove one side of the booth and untilizing chairs. Thats a great Idea. Most of the time its just me and my wife... that would open up the RV some but yet you can add two chairs as needed.

You have been busy!

Keep the MODS updates comming (after it warms up).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #8

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
I used a piece of particle board I had laying around for the extension (plywood would work just as well). To stiffen the extension between the support brackets I glued and screwed a piece of 1x2 to the underside.

Bought these

Attachment 14528
From Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are rated at 330lbs each.

I used pieces of 2x4 inside the bed frame to reinforce the attach points for the brackets. This puts some of the load into the floor instead of just the bed frame.
Here is a better photo of the support brackets.
Attachment 14533
Perfect thank you. I have wanted to do this and was trying to decide what was the best way. I wasn’t sure if making folding legs would work but I think I like this better
Old 01-07-2019, 02:56 AM   #9

THOR #12827
Latest Mod to our Freedom Elite 30FE

The overhead LED lights are fine for most conditions. However, I wanted a "softer" form of lighting especially in the evenings when we are inside watching TV or at night when the fur babies need to go out to water the grass.

I found some LED strip lighting on Amazon that interested me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought two strips, and today I installed the first one.
I installed it on the backside of the header of one of the slide outs so it's a form of recessed lighting that reflects off of the ceiling.

It's installed using double faced tape. The system uses a remote control that has many many modes, more that I will ever use. It can be set for solid colors or multiple colors that can scroll.
I will probably use a solid color. Anyway here are a few photos.

Name:	Lights 1.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	14950Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights 2.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	14951Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights 3.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	14952Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights 4.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	14953
The second strip will be installed on the bedroom slide at a later date.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #10

State: Mississippi
THOR #14190
Hello I'm a new owner of a Freedom Elite 30FE and don't really understand them not installing a TV in the bedroom myself. How did you install yours? This is our first motor coach and am a real time newbie and like to watch tv in the bedroom.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileyra View Post
Hello I'm a new owner of a Freedom Elite 30FE and don't really understand them not installing a TV in the bedroom myself. How did you install yours? This is our first motor coach and am a real time newbie and like to watch tv in the bedroom.

The why is easy...it’s cheaper that way! When I got my Freedom Elite it had a place for a TV but no TV. I went to Best Buy and bought a simple fixed mount for about $25. We had an unused 19 inch TV in our guest room so I just used that. I used a stud finder to find a wall “stud” - which wasn’t more than 2x2 (if that). I was able to use short lag bolts into it on one side and metal hollow wall anchors on the other. Take care not to drill all the way through the wall. I also put a DVD player on a shelf I mounted near the ceiling in the corner. Was able to pull the cord and the feed through the hollow wall.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:00 AM   #12

State: Mississippi
THOR #14190
Yes I have a solid wood cover that lifts up with two shelfs behind it as well as the tv cable outlet, will probably just attach a tv wall plat and make it an easy fix.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:31 AM   #13

THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileyra View Post
I bought an inexpensive mount at Walmart and installed it on the solid wood panel on the closet. Drilled through the wood panel and installed the mount using screws with large diameter washers under the nuts on the backside.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11266
Where is the light strip plugged in?
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #15
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Bought our (used, had 1063 miles on it) 2018 Freedom Elite 30FE just about two months ago. We transitioned from a 26 ft TT. The ONLY thing I miss from the TT is the outdoor kitchen.
I knew when I bought the RV that I was going to have to do a few mods to make it like we wanted it.
First off was the bed extension. I'd prefer a King bed but can live with a Queen as long as it's long enough for my 6'3" body. The RV Queen just doesn't hack it. I had to extend the bed in my TT so I had a good starting point.
When the bedroom slide is in the stowed position, the cabinets actually touch the foot of the mattress. Fortunately, the existing mattress extended over the bed platform so there was some room for me to add a fold down extension.
Attachment 13809
Originally I bought a foam block to insert between the wall and the head of the mattress that pushed the mattress down to make it long enough for me to lay on it. But, the existing mattress proved to be uncomfortable so we decided to replace it with a more comfortable one.

After a lot of research, we had a custom mattress made by Mattress Insider in Colorado. https://www.mattressinsider.com/
Had the mattress made to our dimensions (H, W & L) and due to its length, had a hinge incorporated so it folds up out of the way in order to retract the bedroom slide.

Attachment 13810
Attachment 13811
Now when we are ready to pack up and leave, I flip up the mattress foot, fold down the bed extension and retract the slide without breaking anything. (I did put a placard by the slide switch to remind myself (and others) to fold the bed extension down.

Next was the Dinette. I don't think the designers were thinking about comfort when they designed this unit. The dinette is on the passenger's side and the back of the forward dinette bench rests solidly against the upright passenger seat in the cab. This makes it impossible to even slightly recline the passenger seat.
Attachment 13812
At first I thought about rebuilding dinette bench to allow the back to be folded down, but since that would have eliminated the storage under that seat anyway, I decided to just remove the bench entirely any use two chairs instead. I found two nice folding chairs on CW website and ordered them. They actually look like they were intended for this use. When we travel, the chairs are folded up and stowed with the ladder on the over cab bunk.
Attachment 13813

Continued in part2.
Love the mods you've done. I'm wanting to take the other side of the dinette out - wondering if anyone has done this as there is a sensor and an outlet there. Can anyone help with what to do with these?
Old 04-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #16

THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Where is the light strip plugged in?
For the light strip on the passengers side slideout, I used an outlet in the bedroom, behind the panel the TV is mounted on.
For the light strip on the driver’s side slideout, I added a new outlet on the panel behind the microwave. Since the light strips are low current draw, I wasn’t worried about loads on the existing circuit breakers
Old 04-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #17
Cpd

THOR #14097
I'm wondering the same. The back on ours is slowly breaking�� and we want to remove that side
Old 04-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Those light strips look great!
Congratulations on the great job, that your modifications have done for you.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:55 PM   #19

THOR #12827
I finished up my latest modification yesterday.
We never liked the jackknife sofa that came with the unit. So, this year’s tax refund was earmarked for replacing it with loveseat/recliners. Searched diligently, compared and finally decided on the Recpro products. Went ahead and purchased the electric recline and glad I did.
Before:

Name:	B020E138-A1F7-4882-B386-37B5A4129707.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	16485
After:

Name:	A62A6F34-4DB6-48BB-9D31-67418AFD3C13.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	16486
Old 04-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #20
Cpd

THOR #14097
Quote:
I finished up my latest modification yesterday.
We never liked the jackknife sofa that came with the unit. So, this year’s tax refund was earmarked for replacing it with loveseat/recliners. Searched diligently, compared and finally decided on the Recpro products. Went ahead and purchased the electric recline and glad I did.
Before:
Attachment 16485
After:
Attachment 16486
What did you do with the heat under the sofa.
The mods are beautiful but you lost a lot of storage....