Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 5,118
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post

...cut...

If others have installed the Safe-T or other devises and are happy, or not with them I am glad to hear about it. If someone has no experience with adding these things or doesn't even have a large MH with handling issues, then don't try to hijack the thread with false facts about front end blow outs being less dangerous compared to rear ones.
I did not hijack the thread. Period.

You're the one that changed the subject from wanting one of these devices because it makes it easier for some drivers to drive their motorhomes (which is understandable), to claiming that these things are needed for safety in case of a blowout. That's on you, not me.

You and a couple of others keep pushing the "blowout" safety marketing crap without producing one single credible bit of data that these devices safe lives, or prevent accidents. Repeating a company's marketing slogan isn't proof.

And for what it's worth, you need to slow down and read what's written instead of making stuff up -- which you've done over and over again. Please don't keep misquoting me out of context.

I've had a tire failure in a motorhome at speed, which is more than most here have experienced. I also have more miles driving large motorhomes than many here. So what does my present vehicle have to do with anything? Your logic trying to attack me personally because I disagree with your "safety" claims is ridiculous. Enough.

__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Hudsoner's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
Posts: 248
THOR #5756
OK, can we stop now the private vendetta between you guys?
I am interesting in a steering dampener, mostly because of the handling benefits (if there are any?).
I have a steer safe unit installed, that should take care of any blow out problems, but it does nothing (in my opinion) for the handling of the unit. I still have a certain amount of front end wobble feel (and yes, I have brand new tires that are pretty well balanced (my son did that, and I trust him and the quality of his work). The new tires feel exactly the same as the old ones did. Will such a steering dampener take care of that wobble, or will it just be throwing good money after bad?
Any experience out here?
__________________
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 5,118
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Sorry, but I fail to understand how a rear blowout is more dangerous.

The statement was not made about motorhomes or trucks with DRW but about SRW to demonstrate that keeping the wheel/tire from turning (like these devices claim) is not enough. The problem is far more complex. Unfortunately it was repeated out of context.

As previously stated, rear blowouts in SRW vehicles that have significant load with a high center of gravity were found years ago to be particularly dangerous. The government did extensive research, and the following is a report that unfortunately documents real world accidents (not tests), with real people, and real casualties.

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/HAR0303.pdf

There were many other similar accidents which lead to these two case studies. Since we drive one of these vehicles I've been concerned about the findings.

Further discussion should be in a separate thread.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 809
THOR #5246
Had the alignment completed this morning. Needed some toe in and other minor adjustments according to shop mechanic. Took it for a test drive in about 15mph cross winds and it made a difference. So between CHF and alignment I feel I am about half way to where I would like to be.


Thanks to superd, hudsoner, bobmontgomery, davidgebo, pal351, and others that have made suggestions on this subject and followed the thread. As always I welcome your advise based on your MH experiences.


Unfortunately I responded initially to an individual on here who has another agenda. Without owning a Thor RV he has racked up almost 1,500 posts on a Thor forum. I knew better than to respond in the first place and I openly apologize to all for having to read the garbage instead of just reading what this thread was suppose to represent.
I will refrain in the future from engaging these types.
__________________
Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #45
Kev
Senior Member
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
Posts: 742
THOR #3918
Stabilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Had the alignment completed this morning. Needed some toe in and other minor adjustments according to shop mechanic. Took it for a test drive in about 15mph cross winds and it made a difference. So between CHF and alignment I feel I am about half way to where I would like to be.


Thanks to superd, hudsoner, bobmontgomery, davidgebo, pal351, and others that have made suggestions on this subject and followed the thread. As always I welcome your advise based on your MH experiences.


Unfortunately I responded initially to an individual on here who has another agenda. Without owning a Thor RV he has racked up almost 1,500 posts on a Thor forum. I knew better than to respond in the first place and I openly apologize to all for having to read the garbage instead of just reading what this thread was suppose to represent.
I will refrain in the future from engaging these types.
I know it's hard but by ignoring them you don't give them a platform. This way they don't take up people's time who actually own a Thor RV and have experience with the product.

Kev
__________________
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #46
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29m
State: Louisiana
Posts: 41
THOR #3932
Hi, I have a 2017 29m hurricane and read about the chf adjustment, did u have to get the front realigned or is it ok...I have all the tools I would need, already fixed a loose dash generator connection and a ac fan power line that was spliced and came undone? Not sure way but must b something when changing truck dash to rv.. looking for a wind noise top driver side now..Thanks
__________________
W5hjs@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,692
THOR #5196
W5, we have a 17 Windsport 29M. I have not had the time to have front end aligned but did do the CHF. I made a 2,000 mile trip before the CHF with no unusual handling other that the usual semi issue. After the CHF we did a 600 mile trip, big difference in my opinion, as validated by many others who have done the same. I'm glad I did the CHF, would do it again, like driving a different coach!
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:37 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
TyCreek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
Posts: 533
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I know it's hard but by ignoring them you don't give them a platform. This way they don't take up people's time who actually own a Thor RV and have experience with the product.

Kev
Wow ... really? Shut out reason and common sense? Only listen to people that will comfort you with support for whatever gizmo save the world gadget you've decided to buy?

That is not a logical thought process that I easily understand. Further defying logic is how "owning a Thor product" is relavant to this thread's topic?

I've read and understand what Chance has contributed to this thread and see his input as an attempt to help others make an "INFORMED" decision. Personally I consider Chance a pretty smart person because he seems to search relentlessly to actually UNDERSTAND things. Maybe a bit overboard at times ... but hey, I'm like that too sometimes. So I actually enjoy reading his thoughts/perspective on things. Typed words sometimes get interpreted wrong or out of context.

My only hope is that rational thinking is achieved by one or two of the people that read a few key points mentioned in this thread ... because that "understanding" might save a life or two someday.

Have you ever heard the saying; You can lead a horse to water but you can't make'm drink...?
__________________
Axis 24.2 "was" tug'n a JK
TyCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:23 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,692
THOR #5196
Chance, I read the NTSB report you posted the link for, thank you by the way. When I asked my question I was referring to a blow out on a vehicle equipped with duals, I should have made that clear and didn't. The report clearly states one of the factors was an inexperienced driver applying the brakes. Tests conducted by Michelin, and validated by others, in the event of a front blow out, state the first thing a driver should do is accelerate to unload forces on the affected wheel. I didn't go in to detail in my earlier post, my fault. I believe, as I feel you do to, in making informed decisions. I have done a lot of research in to front stabilizers from many different sources, not just what manufacturers put out. My research may be flawed but I firmly believe that for an average driver, driving a vehicle in good condition, a stabilizer is a good thing. Like I stated before, to me it is like any other device designed to improve safety, like anti lock brakes, which are a standard on almost all vehicles now.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 809
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Further defying logic is how "owning a Thor product" is relavant to this thread's topic?

I've read and understand what Chance has contributed to this thread and see his input as an attempt to help others make an "INFORMED" decision. Personally I consider Chance a pretty smart person because he seems to search relentlessly to actually UNDERSTAND things.
OMG....what in God's name are you and your buddy Chance smoking? How can you even ask how owning a Thor product is relevant to this thread's topic?

Did you even read my thread starter? Are you kidding me? When someone who owns a Thor MH (that stands for Motorhome) asks for suggestions to correct handling issues then that poster would expect whoever answers that to either own a Thor (this is a Thor forum) or own a similar RV, or work as a Ford mechanic, or have some extensive RVing experience.

Chance might be a smart person, he obviously uses his computer to do some research. For all I know you may be a smart person also. Maybe you spend your time researching things. The problem for me is I would rather get advise from an experienced RVer that has actually went through the problem I am trying to fix, not someone who just likes to sit at home and read about it and then develop opinions.

Since you like to quote sayings.....here is one for you: DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ.
__________________
Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:31 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Baddad53's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
Posts: 443
THOR #2526
I have the Safe-T-plus unit on my Thor Axis and to get back on topic. i had the unit that the chart said to use for an E450. My question is has anyone installed the next larger unit? and how is it performing. The reason I ask is I feel the unit is under spec'd for the size (class A and weight) of these Axis and Vegas. I would like a tighter feel to the steering. There is too much play in the RV in my opinion. It's better than it was prior to it being installed but I think it could be better. If no one had done this fine.
__________________
2016 Thor Axis 25.3 w/ 2011 2dr Wrangler in tow
Demco tow bar with Patriot braking
Bigfoot Automatic Levelers.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:37 AM   #52
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,152
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
I have the Safe-T-plus unit on my Thor Axis and to get back on topic. i had the unit that the chart said to use for an E450. My question is has anyone installed the next larger unit? and how is it performing. The reason I ask is I feel the unit is under spec'd for the size (class A and weight) of these Axis and Vegas. I would like a tighter feel to the steering. There is too much play in the RV in my opinion. It's better than it was prior to it being installed but I think it could be better. If no one had done this fine.
Happy to see you ask this question...as we have wondered the same thing. When visiting their site, you see a gold colored unit recommended for the Axis/Vegas E450...however, it appears there is a blue unit which is used more often...what is that ?
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:44 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Baddad53's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
Posts: 443
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Happy to see you ask this question...as we have wondered the same thing. When visiting their site, you see a gold colored unit recommended for the Axis/Vegas E450...however, it appears there is a blue unit which is used more often...what is that ?
CW did mine and they used the same unit (I checked) that Safe-T listed on site. It's blue. Perhaps they changed the unit recommendation since then???
__________________
2016 Thor Axis 25.3 w/ 2011 2dr Wrangler in tow
Demco tow bar with Patriot braking
Bigfoot Automatic Levelers.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 809
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
CW did mine and they used the same unit (I checked) that Safe-T listed on site. It's blue. Perhaps they changed the unit recommendation since then???
I am still going back and forth between the Safe-T and possibly a RoadMaster. If I end up ordering a Safe-T though I will probably drop a call to the factory and question them about my exact part numbers.

I would certainly want the most "bang for the buck" by getting the maximum size unit that would work correctly.
__________________
Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:36 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
Posts: 1,032
THOR #1020
Joe-FL we put on the Roadmaster mainly in an attempt to make our coach as safe as possible in the event of a front end blowout. I watched a couple of videos of a coach crash resulting from a front end blowout and allowed that the $350 was fairly cheap to help me deal with that problem. I also remind myself (while driving) "don't stomp on the brake" if I sense a blowout. Not sure how much it helps with driving but the only other change I've done is the CHF. I feel very comfortable on interstates at 65-70 mph up to a 20 MPH wind. At 25 MPH, I am not liking it. At 30 MPH - I am parking it (the great part about being retired - rarely on a fixed schedule). Passing trucks have virtually no influence. I have logged about 34,000 miles in 2 years at the wheel of 2 different motorhomes. The last 28,000 miles in our Challenger - the 252" wheel base and a 22.5" tires are the principle reason we upgraded.

Just our 2 cents.
__________________
US Army Retired - Loving The Road Trip
Challenger 37TB
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 809
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Joe-FL we put on the Roadmaster mainly in an attempt to make our coach as safe as possible in the event of a front end blowout. I watched a couple of videos of a coach crash resulting from a front end blowout and allowed that the $350 was fairly cheap to help me deal with that problem. I also remind myself (while driving) "don't stomp on the brake" if I sense a blowout. Not sure how much it helps with driving but the only other change I've done is the CHF. I feel very comfortable on interstates at 65-70 mph up to a 20 MPH wind. At 25 MPH, I am not liking it. At 30 MPH - I am parking it (the great part about being retired - rarely on a fixed schedule). Passing trucks have virtually no influence. I have logged about 34,000 miles in 2 years at the wheel of 2 different motorhomes. The last 28,000 miles in our Challenger - the 252" wheel base and a 22.5" tires are the principle reason we upgraded.

Just our 2 cents.
Thanks for input. Now that my alignment is done, the CHF is completed, and my tires have some increased psi, we will test while on a short camping trip in December. No matter if it handles good now up to 20mph winds I will still install one of the front stabilizers. Since we have almost the same model I should see same results. Thanks again.
__________________
Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2