Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2017, 02:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Front Windshield/Windows curtain

Have a 2016 Thor Hurricane 35C. Looking to upgrade the "cheap ass" curtains had as original. One year and they are disentagrating. Any suggestions. Would consider motorized.

2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:49 AM   #2
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We are considering replacing our curtains too, but have not found anything we like ! In the interim...we cut out the white liner which disintegrates when you look at it ! So far, the actual curtain has not fallen apart and curtains look good without that white junk as a liner.

In the off season, if I find a material we like, I may make new curtains.

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:58 AM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I had the same issue. I went to a fabric shop and bought some curtain backing. Then I paid a seamstress $30 to replace the crumbling backing.

I also paid a seat cover store to recreate the flimsy curtain hold-backs with ones made of naugahyde.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:27 AM   #4
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
I had the same issue. I went to a fabric shop and bought some curtain backing. Then I paid a seamstress $30 to replace the crumbling backing.

I also paid a seat cover store to recreate the flimsy curtain hold-backs with ones made of naugahyde.
I think you made a wise decision on both accounts....honestly, we don't miss the liner/backing at all. Until we find something, that we both agree upon, I am going to leave them alone !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
We had the curtains and tie backs copied (made 4 inchess longer) and replaced using a material called "SunBrella" material last winter approx $125. No liner is needed with this SunBrella material.
Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:59 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We went to JoAnns and bought the thickest blackout curtain liner fabric to fit the curtains. Ripped off the remains of the shredded liners and Mrs S dusted off her old sewing machine. In a few minutes, she had sewed the top and sides, leaving the bottoms unsewed. Has held well for 2 years, stored outside in the Florida sun.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:38 AM   #7
vkb

THOR #3510
Doc and Mr S ... thanks for the info...will keep that in mind !

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-24-2017, 02:54 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Not sure what curtains you are referring to but if they are the side front driver/passenger compartment ones, I replaced the crappy plastic accordion style side curtains with standard roller shades that were custom color matched and cut by one of the online window treatment retailers. Granted they are not the slow rise shades, which cost a bundle, but they work great and also act as a sun visor now that they are horizontal and not vertical. My front windshield has a power shade so no issue there.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:06 AM   #9
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Not sure what curtains you are referring to but if they are the side front driver/passenger compartment ones, I replaced the crappy plastic accordion style side curtains with standard roller shades that were custom color matched and cut by one of the online window treatment retailers. Granted they are not the slow rise shades, which cost a bundle, but they work great and also act as a sun visor now that they are horizontal and not vertical. My front windshield has a power shade so no issue there.
thankyou for your comments. The units in this conversation are Axis/Vegas . We all have the front power shade...the curtains on the side windows, up front, are the problem.

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ