Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #12692
SeriusXM Satellite Antenna on Roof

We have 2018 Thor Vegas 24.1 and have an EX receiver that plays thru the dashboard radio thru Aux In.

First antenna attempts were to mount on the front of the dash near the window. Worked fine in some directions and not so hot in other directions.

Want to mount on roof behind the depression where the front clearance lights are. I would drill thru roof down into coach and caulk and insert a copper tube flaired on the top and run the wire thru the tube.

My question is...has anyone done this. Concerned I might nick of otherwise cause trouble with the clearance light wiring as it is totally invisible from inside the coach.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:11 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Idaho
THOR #11186
Idk if you have a bunk over the driver/passenger area, but, I placed my antenna under the mattress up there and it works almost flawlessly. Drove almost 3k miles this summer all over the northwest with no issues. I ran the wire under the dash and up the passenger side wall to the bed area. I used tan cable covering from Lowes that matches the tan interior perfectly. I did not feel comfortable drilling a hole in the roof.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I am considering that
Old 08-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #4

THOR #4735
we placed our antenna 'puck' on the front middle of the roof, with a dab of silicone to keep it in place, and just rant the thin wire down the driver side and thru the top corner of the slide seal, into the driver side of the coach. The antenna wire is PLENTY long enough to reach the portable Radio unit, on the dash.

No drilling necessary.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
I am considering that
So am I... fewer holes; means fewer chances for "Murphy & his Law", to show up!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:24 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: California
THOR #5720
We did the same as TurnerFam. I used Flex Glue and stuck a metal bracket on the roof. The magnet on the antenna is plenty strong. Ran the wire through the slide and then under the dash to the portable XM unit. Works great and always get a good signal.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:38 AM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spc19498 View Post
Idk if you have a bunk over the driver/passenger area, but, I placed my antenna under the mattress up there and it works almost flawlessly. Drove almost 3k miles this summer all over the northwest with no issues. I ran the wire under the dash and up the passenger side wall to the bed area. I used tan cable covering from Lowes that matches the tan interior perfectly. I did not feel comfortable drilling a hole in the roof.
We did the same thing, placing the antenna under the mattress of the front bunk. No directional problems and no drilling.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:34 AM   #8

Model: ACE
THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
We did the same thing, placing the antenna under the mattress of the front bunk. No directional problems and no drilling.
Seriously? Being in the overhead bunk, covered with (under) the mattress, roof etc. still works better that laying the ant in the windshield on top of the dash exposed to the most of the world?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:55 AM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
Seriously? Being in the overhead bunk, covered with (under) the mattress, roof etc. still works better that laying the ant in the windshield on top of the dash exposed to the most of the world?
Seriously, it works. I tried the front dash and sticking it with museum clay to the top of the inside windshield which only worked if heading in a southernly direction. Someone in this forum mentioned placing it under the front mattress. I tried it. Took it out this weekend again and it never skipped a note.