Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #1

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Gas grill

Has anyone connect lp hose for grill on axis. Is there a connect point anywhere other than the lp tank which is on the wrong side.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:36 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
What year is yours? My 2018 has on stock but was sticking out the side. I moved it to the back.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #3

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
2016 axis 25.2 rear slide out
Old 10-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #9050
I connected at the tank before the regulator and use either 1 or 2 12' hoses depending on where I place the grill or smoker. I've thought about plumbing a couple quick disconnects on the other side but not high enough on the list yet.
Mods - Safe-T-Steer - Roadmaster Sterling Towbar - Tow Defender - KarGard - Thermopro In/Out T-Stat - SS Kitchen Sink - Garmin RV770 - Propane Tee Grill Adaptor - Custom Center Console - Oxygenics Shower Head - 10" Rear View Safety Monitor - Verizon Hot Spot - Radiator Guard - Sumo Springs - Cylinder Locks
Sprinkler-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler-Head View Post
I connected at the tank before the regulator and use either 1 or 2 12' hoses depending on where I place the grill or smoker. I've thought about plumbing a couple quick disconnects on the other side but not high enough on the list yet.
Is there an advantage to connecting things that way?
We just bought a grill that is supposed to work with the outside propane access on our rig. (It took over an hour to find one that was compatible!)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We just bought a grill that is supposed to work with the outside propane access on our rig. (It took over an hour to find one that was compatible!)
The advantage is you can use any grill that would normally use the 1 lb cylinders without converting the grill to low pressure.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I guess that for us: this point has been rendered moot...
We just went shopping for a grill that would work with the existing setup, and finally managed to find one.
Having one dedicated for use in the Motorhome (for us...), isn't going to pose a problem anyway.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
I guess that for us: this point has been rendered moot...
We just went shopping for a grill that would work with the existing setup, and finally managed to find one.
Having one dedicated for use in the Motorhome (for us...), isn't going to pose a problem anyway.
Can always use with bottle or on high pressure side with a regulator in the line.

Have a low pressure grill I used with my last RV which had a low pressure quick connect... This rig has a high pressure tap.... Just added a regulator in line to it.

On the other side, you can often remove/bypass the regulator on high pressure grill to use with an RV low pressure disconnect.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:17 AM   #9

THOR #6582
I'm new to the exterior propane outlet. While I understand the convenience of using our backyard grills and smokers with their regulators, I'm concerned about having a rubber hose, that if cut would be an open outlet from the LP tank. Perhaps a very rapid discharge of a highly flammable gas. I'd be happy to be convinced otherwise.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
I'm new to the exterior propane outlet. While I understand the convenience of using our backyard grills and smokers with their regulators, I'm concerned about having a rubber hose, that if cut would be an open outlet from the LP tank. Perhaps a very rapid discharge of a highly flammable gas. I'd be happy to be convinced otherwise.
A couple of items....
Look at the lines leaving your tank/regulator... They are likely rubber already... (Yes, they are downstream from regulator)

On the upstream side of regulator (assuming that is more your concern), rubber high pressure hoses are used... Not the same hose used on the other side of the regulator. These hoses are typically only attached when stationary (at least what I do connecting to the extend-a-stay only when parked)

All tanks (DOT portable and ASME built in) has safety features including check valves to prevent the rapid release of gas in a leak situation.

A good description I found:
Propane 101-The basics
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 10-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #11

THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
A couple of items....
Look at the lines leaving your tank/regulator... They are likely rubber already... (Yes, they are downstream from regulator)

On the upstream side of regulator (assuming that is more your concern), rubber high pressure hoses are used... Not the same hose used on the other side of the regulator. These hoses are typically only attached when stationary (at least what I do connecting to the extend-a-stay only when parked)

All tanks (DOT portable and ASME built in) has safety features including check valves to prevent the rapid release of gas in a leak situation.

A good description I found:
Propane 101-The basics
Thanks gmc, that link was really helpful. Following thru, I understand now that the "extend-a-stay" components allow utilizing portable cylinders to provide propane so you don't have to drive the coach to refuel when staying at a campsite.

Do you carry additional cylinders to increase your range before refueling also? How do you carry those cylinders?
Old 10-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #12
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Thanks gmc, that link was really helpful. Following thru, I understand now that the "extend-a-stay" components allow utilizing portable cylinders to provide propane so you don't have to drive the coach to refuel when staying at a campsite.

Do you carry additional cylinders to increase your range before refueling also? How do you carry those cylinders?
Extend-a-stay allows both (different connections) running an external high pressure appliance on RV gas - and supplementing the RV supply by running off a portable bottle (instead of RV tank...)

I've only used the latter mode once - on a multi-month trip.
I carried the extra cylinder empty - stored vertically (normal orientation) in the back of my toad (Wrangler).
I filled it locally before using it.
Was much easier than moving the rig to get propane... and much cheaper than paying the 'delivered to your site' gas.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 10-02-2017, 11:48 PM   #13

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
What grill did you get. I haven't figured out the connectors yet?
Old 10-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
What grill did you get. I haven't figured out the connectors yet?
There's no name on the outside of the box...
I'll have to open it up, and get back to you
(We haven't taken it out of the box yet...)
Old 10-05-2017, 05:31 AM   #15

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
There's no name on the outside of the box...
I'll have to open it up, and get back to you
(We haven't taken it out of the box yet...)

Did it come with a hose to hook up to rv?
Old 11-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Quote:

Bob,

Does the side RV connection need a regulator? I was thinking I would just build up an adapter hose.

We have a portable propane fire pit that has a regulator on it so would’nt need one.

wenz
Old 11-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #8264
We bought a Weber portable grill. On our Windsport it was easy. We just removed the regulator from the grill and added a longer hose with a quick connect to the rv. The regulator on the the grill is to reduce high pressure to low so without it you have a low pressure enabled grill. We did change the connector on the rv to match the size of the quick connect.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #18

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
The LP hose is extremely tough, doubt you cut it with a knife without a VERY determined effort, many of the hoses have a steel braid under the rubber to prevent cutting.

There are many portable gas grills on the market that are setup without a pressure regulator to be used on the low pressure side of your RV tank. We have the Aussie grill that came with our coach plus another grill from our previous coach. Love not having to use the 1 lb bottles or carry an LP tank, just hook to the coach and use.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:54 PM   #19
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzOmatic View Post
Bob,

Does the side RV connection need a regulator? I was thinking I would just build up an adapter hose.

We have a portable propane fire pit that has a regulator on it so would’nt need one.

wenz
Assuming the side RV connection is AFTER the regulator - it would just need an adapter hose to connect to an appliance WITHOUT its own regulator...

The portable fire pit with a regulator on it would need to connect to high pressure LP - BEFORE the regulator (like an Extend-a-Stay connection) - or would need the regulator removed to run off the low pressure side.

You can't 'double regulate' LP... (well - of course you could plumb it that way - you just wouldn't like the results...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 11-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #20

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
All,
New to this topic. I just "won" a small Weber "Go Anywhere Gas Grill". Just 160 sq inches with one burner that uses the 1lb canister of LP. Does that make it a low pressure gas grill?
I saw on the new 2018 Vegas 27.7 a gas outlet behind a closeable door that comes out on the passanger side in the far rear. Does anyone know if that is a low pressure outlet? Also has anyone reached out to Thor to get a part number on that particular setup? I thought I would ask before starting out to research it, no sense reinventing the wheel.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote