Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2022, 03:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds
State: Florida
THOR #25115
Rough Ride

Went up to S. Carolina from Florida. S. Carolina has the worst roads. The ride was awful and we could feel every little bump. The RV was also doin some rattling. All caused mainly from the roads. So, do I need to be concerned or is this normal. I was wondering if there’s an upgrade that’ll give her a smoother ride.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:41 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Nothing you do to your RV will fix the crappy roads in SC, particularly I95 south of I26.

Your experience with SC road conditions is well documented.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:59 AM   #3

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by burch View Post
Went up to S. Carolina from Florida. S. Carolina has the worst roads. The ride was awful and we could feel every little bump. The RV was also doin some rattling. All caused mainly from the roads. So, do I need to be concerned or is this normal. I was wondering if there’s an upgrade that’ll give her a smoother ride.
I will probably get push back for these comments but you need to have your coach weighed and air your tires up according to the actual load on the tires. Don't just blindly put the max air pressure on the sidewall in the tire. If you have tires running close to the max then up grade to a commercial tire for vans. The load index is very important and you need to know not only the Load Range but the index. The factory will put Load Range E tires with a lower index on the Class C than what is available in a commercial version. Below is a link to a commercial tire that fits most Class C coaches. Notice the load index is 121 and the load capacity is 3195 pounds. That is at 80 PSI. If you know your coach weight at each tire you can reduce the air pressure to cover the actual load and significantly improve the ride on harsh roads. I have also included a Load Range E inflation chart by load index. Look on the sidewall of the tire and find the load index. It should be after the tire size and may have two numbers like 120/121. The first number is for dual tire application as on the rear and the second number is for the front.

https://tinyurl.com/y3jdoaxy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tire inflation chart.pdf (252.2 KB, 101 views)
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:32 AM   #4

Model: Fourwinds
THOR #25115
Awesome
Old 01-11-2022, 02:07 PM   #5

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
I will probably get push back for these comments but you need to have your coach weighed and air your tires up according to the actual load on the tires. Don't just blindly put the max air pressure on the sidewall in the tire. If you have tires running close to the max then up grade to a commercial tire for vans. The load index is very important and you need to know not only the Load Range but the index. The factory will put Load Range E tires with a lower index on the Class C than what is available in a commercial version. Below is a link to a commercial tire that fits most Class C coaches. Notice the load index is 121 and the load capacity is 3195 pounds. That is at 80 PSI. If you know your coach weight at each tire you can reduce the air pressure to cover the actual load and significantly improve the ride on harsh roads. I have also included a Load Range E inflation chart by load index. Look on the sidewall of the tire and find the load index. It should be after the tire size and may have two numbers like 120/121. The first number is for dual tire application as on the rear and the second number is for the front.
https://tinyurl.com/y3jdoaxy
I agree with Bob whole heartedly. Weigh and adjust if possible. Replace tires if necessary.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:49 AM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Air pressure and tires make a difference for sure. But some states roads are just terrible. Coming back from Disney and we came through Louisiana and they were gawd awful!
Old 01-14-2022, 12:15 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34 B
State: Virginia
THOR #22976
Bob said it.

One more thing, though: inflate your tires before you start driving. A few miles may still work, but you would be amazed how much pressure the pressure increases once you drive more than a few miles. Once that happens you can no longer accurately fill them.

Also, I would get a TPMS.

One last thing: always use a torque wrench on your wheels to tighten the nuts and make sure any shop you go to does as well.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:11 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
yeah i have to disagree on the whole airing down mentality. tires are not meant to be the cushioning effect in a poor riding vehicle. things like springs, shocks, weight transfer, and so forth are designed to provide ride comfort. their is a reason they were called shock absorbers, and there is a reason why they matched spring rates to load carrying capabilities. but feel free to air down... jeeps do it all the time on the trail.... having mix and match tire pressures may look good on paper at the scale, but in real world driving scenarios it just isn't safe or practical IMO. i run full 80 psi all the time, had the rear leafs on my Class C built by a big truck spring shop ($500), big truck alignment, and i run 75 all day down the highway with the cruise. 35000 miles and tires are wearing really nice.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:45 AM   #9

THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
yeah i have to disagree on the whole airing down mentality. tires are not meant to be the cushioning effect in a poor riding vehicle. things like springs, shocks, weight transfer, and so forth are designed to provide ride comfort. their is a reason they were called shock absorbers, and there is a reason why they matched spring rates to load carrying capabilities. but feel free to air down... jeeps do it all the time on the trail.... having mix and match tire pressures may look good on paper at the scale, but in real world driving scenarios it just isn't safe or practical IMO. i run full 80 psi all the time, had the rear leafs on my Class C built by a big truck spring shop ($500), big truck alignment, and i run 75 all day down the highway with the cruise. 35000 miles and tires are wearing really nice.
I once helped design a weigh-in-motion system for the Air Force so they could load vehicles faster on cargo planes. That is when I learned about the tire footprint. For a tire to perform optimally it should be aired according to the manufactures load tables which will result in the correct contact with the road surface. To much pressure and the tire will wear in the middle and not have as much traction. To little air and the tire will wear on the edges and over heat.

Shock absorbers were named incorrectly and they do not absorb shock. They will actually transmit sock to the frame of the vehicle. The stiffer the shock the worse the ride. If you don't believe me buy some adjustable shocks and try them at each end of the setting. Shocks are actually dampers and reduce rebound motion. If you see a vehicle hit a bump and then move up and down for several cycles it is a good indication the shock absorbers are worn out.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:10 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Most tire side wall failures are due to using the tire for a suspension upgrade

And side wall failures are the most common blow out
Old 01-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #11

THOR #22586
Quote:
I believe you have missed the point of the lowering pressure discussion. Let's take a car for initial discussion. Manufacturers select tires and recommend pressures for comfort not load. That recommended pressure is well below what is on the tire sidewall of maximum pressure which you will note, has a load carrying weight associated with it. Typically cars don't carry that much weight so soft ride is what manufacturers want the owner to have. Trucks, real trucks not soccer mom grocery getter 1/2t, will usually have a heavier tire and the displayed pressure, sticker, is likely to be what is on the tires side wall for the maximum pressure. Pressure to carry the maximum rated weight. Many RV manufacturers will put that on their Tire and Loading sticker because they have no idea what weight will be actually loaded so they take the lawyer approach, "safe side it to the maximum pressure". The end user, us the owners, are responsible for safe loading and operating and tire pressures are a tool and setting to be used.

No knowledgeable person is advocating using tires to soften the ride or gain traction like in your "jeep analogy" but rather put air in the tires to support the weight being carried by the suspension. That of course means a trip to the scales to verify what the RV weighs so the owner knows, isn't guessing. Without weighing another approach is take the Tire and Lading sticker (yellow sticker) as fact and weigh each item going in and don't exceed the OCCC listed. One problem with that is correctly loading and not exceeding an axle weight rating.

As Bob above said incorrect tire pressure can result in overheating or loss of contact patch and faster wear, poorer ride, and/or catastrophic failure. Blindly setting the pressure to the sidewall rating, which is likely the manufacturers sticker pressure won't hurt much except make the ride a bit rougher, cause faster wear to the center, and a bit of loss of traction. Under inflating also will increase wear but with the potential of the overheating and failure. There are some who take the anti-weighing position of ridiculously and continually adjusting pressure based on individual trip loading. Kind of a grasping at straws position as most RVs stay at fairly consistent weights so daily pressure changes isn't desired or necessary.

Sorry for the lengthy posting but an RV owner gets the platform and the tools to have a successful trip. It's up to the owner to learn what can and can't be done. There's that whole lead a horse to water thing.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-14-2022, 01:40 PM   #12

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
No knowledgeable person is advocating using tires to soften the ride or gain traction like in your "jeep analogy" but rather put air in the tires to support the weight being carried by the suspension. That of course means a trip to the scales to verify what the RV weighs so the owner knows, isn't guessing. Without weighing another approach is take the Tire and Lading sticker (yellow sticker) as fact and weigh each item going in and don't exceed the OCCC listed. One problem with that is correctly loading and not exceeding an axle weight rating.
I added this to discuss what Bob and I referenced as weighing. A 4 corner weighing is best but some scales won't have that capability. Some will have enough clearance on the side to do a second weigh and put 1/2 the vehicle on the scales with a tire on the section and the other side off. Not 100% accurate as a real 4 corner weigh but close. Then do the math. Second weight if done right away is about $5 extra. I advocate this method since often the RV isn't built with even weights left and right. My Itasca Horizon DP was 700# heavier on the right. My previous Raptor toy hauler was 20# different. I couldn't get the side weights on the previous omni but was good in axle vs total weight ratings. I haven't been to the scales yet with the Valencia but have an alignment scheduled next week and will go to the scales on the way home. Based on my scale tickets I can accurately and intelligently set the tire pressures and make adjustments if necessary to balance the weight loading.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-14-2022, 02:28 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I believe you have missed the point of the lowering pressure discussion.

No knowledgeable person is advocating using tires to soften the ride or gain traction like in your "jeep analogy" but rather put air in the tires to support the weight being carried by the suspension.
The thread topic is "ROUGH RIDE" and a proposed solution appears to be air down! As for the jeep analogy it lends itself that airing down does little or nothing to soften the ride.... and you run the risk of damaging the tire.... and the four corner post was an analogy from an aircraft tire study... which is no more far fetched than my jeep analogy. Just depends on which side of the opinion you are on... so for me... I will continue to air up, and look to the proper alternative to resolve the topic... which is Rough Ride!
Old 01-14-2022, 04:21 PM   #14

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Temperature affects durometer(hardness scale) ratings on tires.
We all know that.
Temperature affects air pressure.
We all know that.
Few owners will run out of tire miles before they timeout. So the maximum longevity thing is a ruse.
We all know that.
Altitude affects changes in air pressure.
We all have seen the potato chip bag inflate/deflate over wolfcreek or some other altitude change.
Changes in tire air pressure are changes in tire diameter.
We all know that.
Changes in diameter are changes in steering.
We all know that.
Lasting and correct steering changes are made by wheel alignment.
We all know that.
Your 115° tire is not your 28° tire.
We all know that.

My tires will read 65lbs on the sunny side and 58lbs on the shady side at 80mph. And then swap as I turn into the sun.
Many don't know that.
My tires read 110° on the sunny side and 77° on the shady side at 80mph, then swap as I turn into the sun.
Many don't know that.
Z measurement is GENERALLY your frame to ground height/differential.
Many don't know that.
Springs can be tweeked/spaced to accommodate anything height related that alignment can't.
Many don't know that.
Roads are crowned. (Look it up) it makes your rv lean and pull. The taller the rv the more aware you are.
Everyone knows this, few seem to remember.

You're chasing ghosts.

Please don't lead us into it all.

Put some psi reasonably close to sticker/tire rating in the tires and
'drive on lil' dogie'.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:31 PM   #15

THOR #13932
Of course airing down changes the ride on a jeep.
The difference on my offroader between 22psi and 30psi(31.5x11.5x15 mtr kevlar's) on the road is teeth jarring.
At 15psi it runs forest service roads at 70mph(my comfort max max) and will do 115mph for someone more talented. At 30psi it'd throw itself off the trail within a mile at 40mph.
It weighs 6,000lbs.

Let's do an extreme.
Discount put 35psi in my Chenoweth sandrail 32" tires because that's what the tire was rated that's what they had to put in. It was undrivable for even a block. I thought they'd bent the axles on my portals. Aired down to 8 psi, life was fine.

Maybe I misread what you typed.

Old 01-14-2022, 04:33 PM   #16

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Personally I would NOT air down tires, by doing so you've created tire issues due to under inflation along with the rough ride. Again personally I'm not going to have 6 tires all with different pressures because it only weighs XXXXlbs on that tire, whatever pressure I run will be in all the tires..
If by chance you do weigh the rv I think most would be very surprised to find that they are very near, if not at or over, the GVWR of whatever rv they may have, stuff seems get loaded but never gets unloaded.
As to the rattling & noises, traveling down our wonderful highways, in about any state, that rv is going through a 5.0 earthquakeat at 65-XXmph every time you move it, those noises/rattles are to be expected & surprisingly the rv holds together.
Most class A gassers & class Cs are built on some type of Ford truck chassis which WILL have rough ride regardless of tire pressures or any other suspension mods you may do, it's a TRUCK, it's the nature of the beast!
These are MY opinions! Please do as you wish with your tires!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:18 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
The "air down tires" was aimed at people that drive with the max inflation on the tire sidewall, not at people that run with PSI close to the sticker numbers. I don't think anyone is recommending lowering tire pressure below what the vehicle manufacturer recommends (or the tire weight dictates) to improve ride comfort.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:18 PM   #18

THOR #13932
Decibel meter checked:
My 24.1 Thor, fully loaded
Exactly matches decibels with
my f150 King Ranch
when driving on the marvelously smooth stretch of i40 between flagstaff and Williams Arizona.

We couldn't shout to each other on i80.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:16 AM   #19

THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The "air down tires" was aimed at people that drive with the max inflation on the tire sidewall, not at people that run with PSI close to the sticker numbers. I don't think anyone is recommending lowering tire pressure below what the vehicle manufacturer recommends (or the tire weight dictates) to improve ride comfort.
AMEN! I never suggested folks should air down to improve ride. I was trying to get across that you should pressure your tires according to the manufactures load tables by the load on the axle. My experience has been that most RVers don't have a clue how much load is on their axles because they never weigh the unit and just air their tires to the maximum allowed pressure. Folks should read chunker21's post, he gets it.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:58 AM   #20

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
There are plenty of air pressure threads already on this forum. The OP (I’m getting the hang of abbreviations) asked about rough ride. You’re riding on a truck chassis. Not some cushy car chassis. Put that truck chassis on an older asphalt paved road and it’ll ride like a truck. And yes, SC roads suck. I95 is the most traveled road in the US by heavy truck traffic.