Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 27 ft ACE
State: California
THOR #1318
Generator issues

I have a 2013 27 ft Thor ACE. Recently I was driving to Utah from So Cal and had to run the generator and AC to keep the passengers in back comfortable After a short time the genie stopped running and after turning it back on it kept doing the same thing. I take it that the genie was possibly overheating since it is near the V10 motor. Any ideas on correcting this issue

Old 11-20-2014, 05:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
One issue I have had with my generator is due to lack of use, it can often fail when you need it.

If, under load - the generator tends "RPM-cycle"; that is - to vary it's RPM... where the RPM raises, then falls, then raises again and falls continuously (which is a very common issue), then it might have difficulty in supplying the load and may eventually quit (not to mention is not healthy for your air conditioner as the generator's output voltage will vary with the RPM cycling).

The problem when this happens is the generator has not been run enough, and there is fuel-varnish in the carburetor that may be partially obstructing the needle valve. In extreme cases, you have to take it in to be serviced as someone has to disassemble and clean the carb.

But sometimes you can fix it yourself with carb cleaner. Get the kind of cleaner that you can squirt into the throat of the carburetor. Most cleaners specifically warn against this (as these are intended to clean a disassembled carb), but there are a few that are made for the "squirt in carb" method (with the generator OFF).

Last summer, I turned on an electric heater (at night), which was about a 50% load, and the generator rpm-cycled for about 10 minutes then stalled. I'd start it again, and same thing. And, it got worse and worse.

I got some carb cleaner, turned the generator OFF, removed the air filter, then squirted some cleaner into the carb. When restarting, there was all kinds of smoke coming out of the exhaust, and the generator ran rough for a few seconds until it ran through the cleaner.

I did this about 5 or 6 times, and after doing so, the generator would then run the 50% load with no issues.

The genny is a couple of years old (2011), but only has about 3 hours on it, so it is "gummed up" due to non-use. Even then, since I first bought the coach (bought it used), I did run the genny once a month, but not under load (which I'll dope-slap myself as I know better than not to put it under load).

Since then though, I have run the genny every couple of months under the 50% load with the same heater, and I have had no issues since.

I need to caveat that using carb cleaner can be dangerous, so you are on your own if you decide to do it.

So the lesson learned here for me was that it is not sufficient to just start the genny every so often, but to run it under load for 30 minutes or so when you do.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #3

Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
FW28z,
I just want to say that you are so helpful and full of information and experience! I'd love to meet you in person.
Thanks for all that you do to make this forum successful!
John & Gail
Athens, GA
Old 11-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Just providing my life's experiences... which may or may not always be correct.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #5

State: Delaware
THOR #1273
FW28z, i agree and second what JDHoge said.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z
So the lesson learned here for me was that it is not sufficient to just start the genny every so often, but to run it under load for 30 minutes or so when you do.
This is exactly what the Cummins tech told me. When we first picked up our Axis the genny ran great. Then on our first trip it quit somewhere along the road. Turns out that Onan/Cummins have a fuel pump issue with some of their more recent genny's (took him about 15 minutes to swap out the pump).

The tech told me a few things about genny:
  • Always run it: if your main engine is running, run the genny
  • Over winter run it about once a month with a load so that the secondaries open up in the carb

So now I run it either with a small heater like FW28z does, or use another novel way to get a load:
Another novel use for the FFE | Some spare electrons from driving a Focus Electric
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Arizona
THOR #1124
I have a 2013 ACE 29.2 and have battled the same issue of the genset shutting down in the heat. There is another forum where this problem has been discussed for over 2 years and resulted in mostly failed attempts to correct by Thor....if they did anything at all. Some installed push pumps which seemed to help, but leaves an open debate as to whether this will create other problems down the road by "forcing" the unit to run in extreme heat conditions when it should shut down from overheating. Others had Thor move the unit to the back cargo bay which put it directly under the bedroom and decreased the storage of that bay. That also left many not wanting that change because of the noise levels. Insulating the fuel lines and genset bay proved useless. Personally, I received no support from Thor as my unit is out of factory warranty and was told it was an Onan problem and to contact them and they would do nothing about it even if it was under warranty. Great customer support eh?. Although FW28z has some good info, I would look at what code you get when it shuts down. I encourage you to talk with Thor, I would be very curious to hear what their response to you would be. There is alot of very upset owners because of this issue and this issue alone. For me, the way Thor handled my concern and issue and their lack of support has convinced me that this is and will be my last Thor product.

Good luck in your endeavor (s) working this problem.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
When my genny shut down last summer under load, there was no error code.

For your heat related issue, are you sure it is a fuel delivery problem?

I saw that the specification from Onan for RV generators is a max operating temp of 120Deg F. Perhaps in Arizona, you are simply exceeding the operating parameters of the generator?

If that is the case, I might try something like an axillary cooling fan on the generator to keep it cooler.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #9

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Arizona
THOR #1124
FW28z, maybe there isn't a code for what the problem you encountered, and that is only a guess on my part. I received a CODE NO. 36 (Engine stopped without command by controller) which "generally" means an overheat issue. This is the same code discussed in length on the other forum and I'd bet is the code the OP is getting.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #10

Model: 27 ft ACE
State: California
THOR #1318
Thks for the help where do you find the code if there is one
Old 11-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
The status light on the generator (the light that comes on at your start panel) will blink a series of blinks.

For example, if you encounter a sequence of two blinks, a pause, then four blinks - that means code 24.

You can then look up the code in the Operations Manual of your genny (this is for Onan generators).

If you don't have an owner's manual, you can download one from Onan.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:10 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Maryland
THOR #5251
How long can I run my generator continually for my Axis 24.1?
Thanks
Old 05-27-2020, 09:17 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21793 View Post
How long can I run my generator continually for my Axis 24.1?
Thanks
Until the gas level in you tank reaches the level of the generator pickup tube - generally 1/4 tank.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:22 AM   #14

State: Arkansas
THOR #19338
In the motorcycle world we use a can of seafoam in the gas tank (found in most auto parts stores). Run the generator long enough to get the mix up into the generator carb and let it sit over night. From experience, I would say two full cans in half a tank of gas in the RV. Seafoam had saved a lot of folks from carb rebuilding on their bikes. Best wishes
Old 07-01-2020, 05:42 AM   #15

Model: Vegas Windsport Chateau C
State: Texas
THOR #14643
Generator shuts down while driving

If generator runs fine without the engine running but shuts down in 30-45 minutes with the engine running = BAD BATTERY.
Meter might say 12. Might pass the little silver box’s so called load test. Might be less than one year old. Drained completely dead and recharged is a common thing for house batteries. Like at the dealership. Chassis’s battery is more isolated when not in use so they don’t fail as often.
Just generator on - 120 volts to converter - 13.6volts from converter to house and house batteries with plenty of amps to maintain the batteries for the generator and run the house systems
With the engine running the alternator now charges the house battery, the chassis battery, runs the vehicle 12 volt system and the generator draws from the house battery. I have seen many many cases where the battery is the problem.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:33 AM   #16

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #19095
Newbie Generator Question

I'm the new owner of a 2017 Axis 25.5 and thought I might display my ignorance with the forum.

I am able to start the generator while the engine is running, but have no luck trying to start the generator when the motor is off. I'm sure I've got something in the wrong mode, but my review of Col. Felker's manual still has me scratching my head.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:16 AM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxster08 View Post
I'm the new owner of a 2017 Axis 25.5 and thought I might display my ignorance with the forum.

I am able to start the generator while the engine is running, but have no luck trying to start the generator when the motor is off. I'm sure I've got something in the wrong mode, but my review of Col. Felker's manual still has me scratching my head.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
I assume you mean it won't even turn over?

What's the status of your house batteries? Have you measured the voltage at the batteries?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #18

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #19095
16ACE27 - Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I have 13.6 V on each battery.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #19
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxster08 View Post
16ACE27 - Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I have 13.6 V on each battery.

While you may have the voltage, the house batteries may be failing under load.

With engine running, the chassis and house batteries are joined, and alternator supplying power.

Hold down the emergency start switch and try starting the genny... if that works, I would suspect house batteries unable to handle load.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #20

Model: Outlaw 23h
State: New York
THOR #13693
Great post as I've had the same issues. Why do you have to have something running when you are exercising the genny though?