Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2018, 12:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 2015 30.1
State: Texas
THOR #8978
Generator noise and cooling mod

On our 2015 30.1 the 4000 owan gen is just behind the driver seat. In an effort to quiet, just completed wrapping the entire gen exhaust with header heat wrap. Completely changed the noise level to about 10 db quieter, sounds more mellow and after running an hour was still able to put my hand on it with no burn. Also wrapped the gen gasline. Takes 50ft roll
Also in an attempt to cool the gen built an added an elec radiator fan to back of gen with thermostat to try an pull more air. Yet to testClick image for larger version

Name:	Image1519691882.743058.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	9183

Old 03-26-2018, 06:16 AM   #2

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonjones View Post
On our 2015 30.1 the 4000 owan gen is just behind the driver seat. In an effort to quiet, just completed wrapping the entire gen exhaust with header heat wrap. Completely changed the noise level to about 10 db quieter, sounds more mellow and after running an hour was still able to put my hand on it with no burn. Also wrapped the gen gasline. Takes 50ft roll
Also in an attempt to cool the gen built an added an elec radiator fan to back of gen with thermostat to try an pull more air. Yet to testAttachment 9183
On our motorhome generator is right under the bedroom you can't sleep in there at night if it's on at all too loud I'm going to try what you're saying see if that helps our situation
Old 03-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonjones View Post
Also in an attempt to cool the gen built an added an elec radiator fan to back of gen with thermostat to try an pull more air. Yet to testAttachment 9183

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1522066091
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 01.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	9472  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #4

Model: Ace 2015 30.1
State: Texas
THOR #8978
Wont be a miricle cure but for $15 it will reduce noise a tad. It takes that harsh exhaust noise an seems to mellow it. On ours we have 8 ft exhaust pipe. Ace 30.1