Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2022, 04:04 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post

.....cut..... I use my genny on almost every trip. Coffee breaks and lunch time to name a few. But if it works for the OP, that's all that should matter.

I’m guessing that when motorhomes have a 3,000-Watt inverter available, it makes a generator for lunch and coffee breaks a lot less of a need.

Old 12-31-2022, 04:53 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’m guessing that when motorhomes have a 3,000-Watt inverter available, it makes a generator for lunch and coffee breaks a lot less of a need.
You'd be right
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:05 AM   #23

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I think of our generator more as "emergency power" as opposed to a convenient appliances. We avoid camping in areas where temperatures exceed human comfort level, which varies by opinion between individuals. So July means mountains. We both HATE being stuck in a box *camping" with a generator and A/C blasting... why go "camping"? Just not our cup of tea.

As such, next summer (after wife retires) it's Rocky Mountains searching cool breezes and open windows at night. We struggle running the generator - just to run the generator. 200 watts of solar generally keeps the batteries topped. Camp fires use no electricity - that's where we like to be.

Would we ever remove our "little used" generator? Nope. That's our backup... just in case... a necessary evil. So I change the oil and exercise it monthly, just like the emergency generator at home.
And..... You still have the generator for when you are slugging up over the continental divide at 15mph where the only cool breeze is comming off the chassis exhaust and radiator.
Been there done that remember all too well.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:58 PM   #24

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I think of our generator more as "emergency power" as opposed to a convenient appliances. We avoid camping in areas where temperatures exceed human comfort level, which varies by opinion between individuals. So July means mountains. We both HATE being stuck in a box *camping" with a generator and A/C blasting... why go "camping"? Just not our cup of tea.

As such, next summer (after wife retires) it's Rocky Mountains searching cool breezes and open windows at night. We struggle running the generator - just to run the generator. 200 watts of solar generally keeps the batteries topped. Camp fires use no electricity - that's where we like to be.

Would we ever remove our "little used" generator? Nope. That's our backup... just in case... a necessary evil. So I change the oil and exercise it monthly, just like the emergency generator at home.
About 20 years ago my employer wanted to relocate us with a boat load of money to move to Minneapolis. I remember the wife and I looking at homes on Lake Minnetonka. When we learned the houses had no AC's we thought they were CRAZY. Throw in no fences and we couldn't see it. To each his own as Atreis says.

If you live in Texas you will need the ACs to get to the mountains or just flat out suffer. We passed on several 30' units with only 1 AC. IMHO; at 29'; 2 ACs and a 5500 is must. Even if you live up North, unless you never plan to go South. Saying you are NOT going South during the Winter won't cut it. It will be 75 today in Dallas and it can get a lot hotter during some runs even though it is winter.

I get what the OP is doing. But I think it is a choice lifestyle; more so than a need for a RV owner. i.e. Some people remove the doors off their trucks / jeeps because they don't need them.

In my case, the generator ( actually the ability to run 2 ACs) while we travel and camp is WHY we bought an RV (We spent years in Tents with no ACs). I suspect if I ever buy another RV, it may not have a generator, but it will be fully equipped with two ACs, Lithium battery power and solar for me to not worry. But right now, I am enjoying what I bought. I use my generator just enough where I don't think of exercising it anymore. I just use it. If I want popcorn on a perfectly cool day with fresh breeze blowing inside windows. I fire up generator for 10 minutes and pop away
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 02:28 PM   #25

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Ok all you experts, why doesn’t RV manufacturing offer an option to purchase a motor home without a generator?

Most used motorhomes have so few hours on the generators resulting in more issues than benefits.

Contrary to the self-proclaimed experts there are folks that don’t need, use or want a generator.

Personally I applaud the OP for modifying a rig to fit their needs and who cares what someone else thinks.

I know it was rhetorical question but to the underlying point:

The Winnebago EKKO Class C (B+) is the only motorhome I can recall that is presently offered with a generator delete option. And that’s an interesting choice since the EKKO is primarily intended for (winter) boondocking.

The standard EKKO includes an Onan 2800 Inverter generator and also a 320 Ah lithium battery that powers a 2,000-Watt inverter. The base unit covers both short- and long-term power needs nicely in my opinion.

As far as I know, this year Winnebago offers an additional generator delete option where buyer gets a sealed compartment in its place. The second option is a generator delete where they add a second 320 Ah lithium battery. A major dealer also adds a second battery option while keeping the generator.

Batteries are charged with 455 Watts of solar, dedicated 2nd alternator, and or 80-Amp converter. System seems flexible to meet different needs but no doubt expensive.

As a side note, for RVs with a single high-efficiency air conditioner that also have inverters large enough to power microwave, the use of Onan 2,800-Watt inverter generator makes a lot more sense to me than the larger, heavier, and less fuel efficient 4,000-Watt Onan. The 2,800-Watt Onan should power an efficient air conditioner for about 5 hours on average on a gallon of gas.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:09 PM   #26

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I grew up off grid with Servel propane refrigerators and no running water. We added a Kohler 32v light plant as a kid and it was a heck of a lot better living. Sure made it easier instead of having all the kerosene lamps to maintain.

We milked the cows by kerosene lantern light for many years, nothing I want to do again

After that we installed a jet pump and running water into the house. Later on, REA finally found their way out there in the late 50's.

It interests me a bit in that folks want to live like I had to. So will be keeping the generator in the Tuscany.

As storage goes having had RV's for over 60 years now, everyone had too much storage. I always had stuff along that never go used and just added weight. Sames holds true with the Tuscany, way more storage than actually necessary unless your full timing.

That is my opinion and take on the matter and it is interesting to hear others thoughts

As to the OP's response, interesting, and my thoughts are everything I own I think of the resale value.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:13 PM   #27

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
I grew up off grid with Servel propane refrigerators and no running water. We added a Kohler 32v light plant as a kid and it was a heck of a lot better living. Sure made it easier instead of having all the kerosene lamps to maintain.

We milked the cows by kerosene lantern light for many years, nothing I want to do again

After that we installed a jet pump and running water into the house. Later on, REA finally found their way out there in the late 50's.

It interests me a bit in that folks want to live like I had to. So will be keeping the generator in the Tuscany.

As storage goes having had RV's for over 60 years now, everyone had too much storage. I always had stuff along that never go used and just added weight. Sames holds true with the Tuscany, way more storage than actually necessary unless your full timing.

That is my opinion and take on the matter and it is interesting to hear others thoughts

As to the OP's response, interesting, and my thoughts are everything I own I think of the resale value.
With this post, you officially have become the Most Interesting Man in Missouri to me. Your kids have been lucky.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dos Equis.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	40479

The closest I can get to this is remembering visiting our Great Grandmother & GrandPa. They had no Heat or Air only a big wood burning stove in the center of the house. No running water, but a Well Pump about 30 yards from the house. I never understood why or how, but the water was always cold and it could be 100 degrees outside.

They had no cows, but did have chickens, pigs and lots of dogs & cats. Seems like they only went to the store to buy salt, flour & meal? They only part of the hog they threw away was the guts and the head. The dogs had no house, no special food and no leashes. And if I recall they were considered a well to do family because they did have a Outhouse

My RV purchase was to enhance our lifestyle wherever we may travel and while home. Actual camping is prolly less than 20% of how we actually use. Boondocking defined by me simply means no ShorePower. Wherever I may park or stop in the RV with no SP; we are boondocking.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 06:59 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
We never do/did boodocking, only Walmart overnights but we turn on the generator every single opportunity we have, including rest stops.
We just love it....
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:26 PM   #29

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
...The only part of the hog they threw away was the guts and the head...
What?? You're in Texas and haven't had Offal and broiled sows ears?
Old 01-01-2023, 12:02 AM   #30

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
maybe you didnt see my post, we have a 3k inverter, have for 3 years now. it is an inverter / charger.

before we bought it, we were trying to decide on inverter vs inverter / charger.

we went for inverter / charger and very happy we did. the benefit of this is when connected to shore power, it charges the batteries at a very good rate.
although we are rarely connected, and when we are, the solar is doing just fine. there was one time in the last two years it came in useful. that is one time more than our generator.
Old 01-01-2023, 03:26 AM   #31

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance

before we bought it, we were trying to decide on inverter vs inverter / charger.

we went for inverter / charger and very happy we did. the benefit of this is when connected to shore power, it charges the batteries at a very good rate.
although we are rarely connected, and when we are, the solar is doing just fine. there was one time in the last two years it came in useful. that is one time more than our generator.
I believe that is exactly what Chance was saying: that with a 3k inverter you do not need a generator
Old 01-01-2023, 01:33 PM   #32

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance

I believe that is exactly what Chance was saying: that with a 3k inverter you do not need a generator

Correct. I was referring specifically to her 3,000-Watt inverter.

You probably don’t have to go as high as 3,000 Watts if conservative with equipment selection and electrical power management. For example, newer energy efficient air conditioners with soft-start should run fine on a 2,000-Watt quality inverter. As long as camper doesn’t try to use microwave, hair dryer, or coffee maker while air conditioner is running, it should not exceed 2,000 Watts.

Having said that, cost difference isn’t that high between 2,000- and 3,000-Watt inverter/chargers so I would go with larger unit if building a motorhome. That would allow powering coffee maker or microwave while A/C was running. Obviously battery capacity has to be pretty high to support that much power. Cheaper lithium batteries BMS are often limited in current capacity.
Old 01-01-2023, 02:37 PM   #33

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Generator used a lot. 25k miles over 20+ States.
Lots of boondocking. State parks. Beach State parks no AC.
Use when driving to keep coach cool.
Use 3000 watt inverter put in by our 30 year rv tech. For quiet use microwave coffee maker without needing Generator. Then let sun top off batteries.
OP and others without a Generator is cool to hear how they live. Good job!

We were in Corpus Christi Texas, hot Alabama, hot AZ , hot NM and Generator was a must.

Also we do lots of street parking site seeing in lots of town and AUTOGEN is set for dogs to stay cool.
Even parked at Nashville TN stadium and dogs stayed cool with Generator while having big fun

For inverter AGM 125 batteries

Happy 2023
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:10 PM   #34

State: New York
THOR #21937
Similarly, I have a generator that has never been used nor even started for the two years I've owned this coach (and I have no idea how long before that).

As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with it. So I will remove it, overhaul the carb and tune it up to get it running, then give it to my daughter as a whole house backup generator for her stationary tiny house.

I have 1,700W of rooftop solar and a 400W free-standing wind turbine. I've yet to find a need for the generator.

I've posted on several other threads how I removed both of my rooftop A/C units and replaced them with vents with reversible fans. (Let's not rehash that argument. I'm very happy with my setup.) My power needs are very small and I generate way more power even without the generator than I can reasonably use.

Also, my coach is 27 years old so resale value is not a consideration.
JeffThor325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 11:01 PM   #35

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Once again choices should be situational and based on needs/preference.

Being in Florida and mostly towing racecar "no generator" is just not an option.between sitting in RV, keeping pups/wife cool and providing power for battery charger/air compressor there is no effective alternative at present. Mr Fusion is still generations away.

Keeping generators effective is not a challenge, cycle them with some load and they last.

Those without, glad it meets your needs. Wife of 45 years would likely replace me if I sweated/stunk at track like when was young (pre RV).
Old 01-04-2023, 11:33 PM   #36
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
after 2 years of full time, we removed our generator. we never in two years used it. it was not that difficult. less weight without it, will make a storage compartment out of the space it occupied. we are almost always boondocking, no hook ups. there is a good YouTube video on how to -

Note: I did not cut the output wires as brian did in his video. I removed the wire / cable from the junction box under the RV.

reason for this post -
anyone else remove theirs? why? how's it going without it?
your thoughts on removing it?
what to do with generator now? for sale?

we are very happy with our RV / Home; Very happy with full time RV life; Very happy with info received on this forum, thanks.

I did a search on generator removal and didnt see anything about it. if you come up with a search that does, please tell me how I can too.
Removing is fine, but keep the generator. That way you can install it when you sell or trade it in. I know you may never want to sell or trade now, but never say never!
Old 01-05-2023, 02:52 AM   #37

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Every person has a different opinion about using generators. I am on my 3rd coach and have used the generator onboard every trip we take. On my current coach, I do have an inverter and can run some items including the refrigerator while driving. I have minimum solar for the two 6 volt house batteries. My grandson and daughter as well as my wife need power for their devices while driving plus the air conditioners if it is hot. I would not go without a generator at this time. The coach is also our emergency shelter if needed.

Paul
Old 01-05-2023, 10:29 PM   #38

Model: Four Winds 23U
THOR #27334
I can run my house furnace fan, office and fridge on the RV genny.. so it's staying ;-)
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 12:19 AM   #39

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #17346
thanks for your thoughts MLP, but we just sold the gen, 450$, and happy to have it gone. listed it on FBMP and it went in a day. we dont want to store it, have no use for it. fyi, we bought a new carburetor for it on ebay for less than 30$ and installed it, you can get one there too, for a time when you need it. at that price you should get it. we are currently having the pilot and navigator seats re-upholstered, then we are going to quartzite to check out the rv show, always wanted to do that. being in SoCal this is a good time for that. see you there?
Old 01-15-2023, 02:39 AM   #40
MLP

THOR #17478
Been to Quartzite three times. The vendors in the "big tent" have new stuff and can have good prices. Otherwise outside around are RV's to look at and across the street is a big flea market. Great to go through. Found some items at great prices as well. Have fun.

Tags
generator, removal