Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2019, 03:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13436
Go Pro as Dashcam

Anyone using a Go Pro for a dashcam?

We have one that is not used much and were thinking it might work well..

Thanks
Tom

2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
gwizpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:06 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
I have used a GoPro on my Goldwing trike for many years. Was really great filming my old stomping grounds in Oregon's Columbia River Gorge and roads in the Yukon Terrority. Have also used it in the Atlantic Ocean on coastal kayak adventures.

I had it mounted outside of the trike's windshield with a "shoe." Did it this way because there wasn't enough room to mount behind the windshield. For the kayak, I used the suction mount to mount it on the front deck.

You just brought to the forefront what I've been thinking of doing. That being said it will be easy for me to use in the Vegas since I already have all the necessary accessories:

Option A: Mount a "shoe" above the speedometer and slide the camera into the plastic "shoe".

Option B: Mount a suction-based camera holder with plastic box holding the camera on the dash above the radio.

Attachments are photos of Options A and B.

In either case I'll use a long USB cable to power the GoPro from the USB ports under the radio. If you have a remote (bluetooth) you can use camera at will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cam.1.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	15992   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM.2.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	15993  

2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Dash cams are cool and your insurance company will love you for it in the event of a wreck. I use one all the time. Just switched over to the Cobra CDR900 as I had 4 of them. With the Super C, you can't see out front if riding in the coach. I wifi connect the dashcam to the 50" TV up front and guests can see as we travel. I also use them stuck inside windows as surveillance in rest areas, etc., or in screenshot mode when set on motion detection mode. They only turn on if someone walks by the MH. Great for times when you're in a restaurant or somewhere close to coach. I can monitor them from the phone or watch the dogs inside when we're away. Interesting how smart and nosy dogs can be when they don't think you're watching.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote