Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport J34
State: California
Posts: 30
THOR #17915
Got Victron Inverter with one hot on 50 amps motorhome, now what?

Got Victron Inverter/Charger(Victron Energy MultiPlus 24/3000/70-50 Inverter with Charger )

Just realized it only has one hot, but I have 50 amps panel on my RV!

now what? the shore line & generator input goes to a transfer case , and the output(2 hot wires) of transfer case suppose to go to inverter, but the inverter only has one hot, what do I do???

Please advise.

Thank you!

John
__________________

__________________
johnxhc@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 876
THOR #6903
Take your VOM and start from the pedestal

Then you will know wheyou are missing one leg
__________________

__________________
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,290
THOR #12751
Maybe these wiring diagrams will help......

Looks to me like your Inverter is designed to only provide one leg of 120V power. That means you need to choose which leg (and the circuits on that leg) on your Power Distribution Panel is going to get power from the Inverter.

I don't know that you could put the output into a subpanel and then branch off to the two legs of the Power Distribution Panel.

Perhaps Cavie or one of the other resident electricians will provide more knowledge and experience on this topic.

I did find this Inverter that appear to be able to handle two 120V inputs and two 120V outputs. I attached a screen shot from the manual for you as well.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-34275013.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 1.07.46 PM.png
Views:	41
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	26143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 1.08.09 PM.png
Views:	39
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	26144  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 1.55.17 PM.png
Views:	29
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	26146  
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 876
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Maybe these wiring diagrams will help......

Looks to me like your Inverter is designed to only provide one leg of 120V power. That means you need to choose which leg (and the circuits on that leg) on your Power Distribution Panel is going to get power from the Inverter.

I don't know that you could put the output into a subpanel and then branch off to the two legs of the Power Distribution Panel.

Perhaps Cavie or one of the other resident electricians will provide more knowledge and experience on this topic.

I did find this Inverter that appear to be able to handle two 120V inputs and two 120V outputs. I attached a screen shot from the manual for you as well.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-34275013.html
Great overview
__________________
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,036
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnxhc@gmail.com View Post
Got Victron Inverter/Charger(Victron Energy MultiPlus 24/3000/70-50 Inverter with Charger )

Just realized it only has one hot, but I have 50 amps panel on my RV!

now what? the shore line & generator input goes to a transfer case , and the output(2 hot wires) of transfer case suppose to go to inverter, but the inverter only has one hot, what do I do???

Please advise.

Thank you!

John
Send that inverter back and get a 240 VAC inverter if you want a whole house inverter. Otherwise you have some rewiring and sub-panel installation to do in your MH.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 2,187
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Send that inverter back and get a 240 VAC inverter if you want a whole house inverter. Otherwise you have some rewiring and sub-panel installation to do in your MH.
I don't think you will find a split phase 240 volt inverter. The bigger boats and RVs use stacked 120 volt inverters. One for each phase. A 230 volt inverter is a European speck for a three wire setup not the 4 wire his coach has. Any inverter larger than 1800 watts needs a sub panel IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_0614_094939AA.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	26148  
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:04 PM   #7
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport J34
State: California
Posts: 30
THOR #17915
Found a solution!

Matt from Continuous Resource came up with a very smart idea:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...padHZXY3BNN0V3
__________________
johnxhc@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #8
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,036
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnxhc@gmail.com View Post
Found a solution!

Matt from Continuous Resource came up with a very smart idea:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...padHZXY3BNN0V3
That only powers half the breakers in your main panel from the inverter.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:51 PM   #9
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport J34
State: California
Posts: 30
THOR #17915
Yes, when using the inverter, I just won't use that much power, to use all 50 amps (with two inverters), I probably need double my battery bank (right now is 600 ah)
__________________
johnxhc@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:06 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,690
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnxhc@gmail.com View Post
Yes, when using the inverter, I just won't use that much power, to use all 50 amps (with two inverters), I probably need double my battery bank (right now is 600 ah)

To power an entire 50A coach, you need ~ 4 inverters ó more or less. Fortunately they appear to be stackable.

The normal 50A shore-power service can supply up to 12,000 Watts, whereas the inverter at 3,000 Watts is about 25% of that.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
Posts: 155
THOR #13025
You only need one leg of the 50 amp circuit to operate your 110 outlets and charge your batteries. If you tried to use both legs, you would be feeding 240 volts to your 110 volt circuits.
__________________
Glensouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #12
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,036
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glensouth View Post
You only need one leg of the 50 amp circuit to operate your 110 outlets and charge your batteries. If you tried to use both legs, you would be feeding 240 volts to your 110 volt circuits.
How you gonna do that with a 120 VAC inverter?
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,290
THOR #12751
50A RV Service as two 120V legs. The Power Distribution Panel splits the total number circuits (balanced in half theoretically) so one leg provides 120V to one set of breakers and the other leg provides 120V to the other set of breakers.

Thatís why if you look at coaches with 2 A/C units, one A/C on one leg and the other A/C is on the other leg.
__________________

__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×