Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RS26
State: Virginia
THOR #7007
Handling issues with my new Quantum RS26

In addition to the cabin heat and wiring issues discussed in http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...rs26-7179.html I was not impressed with how the RS26 handled. On the highway it was very sensitive to any crosswind, especially the wind kicked up by passing 18 wheelers, and on secondary roads the unit had a lot of body lean when going around corners.

After a bunch of research, which included looking at Jayco's J-Ride option on their longer C class units, I decided on installing the following improvements:

a. Hellwig Heavy Duty (HD) Sway Bars Front and Rear (F/R). The front measures 1.375" and the rear 1.5". Part numbers 7008 and 7180
b. Hellwig Helper Springs on the rear suspension. Part Number 9645.
c. Bilstein shocks F/R. Part numbers 33-187563 and 33-176840.
d. Timbren front bump stop. Part number FEF350.
e. Supersteer Trac Bar for rear suspension. Part number SS450.

I should be getting the RV back tomorrow from the dealership and will give you all a test report when I first drive it.

Keith

Old 05-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RS26
State: Virginia
THOR #7007
Just got it back after having everything installed...almost

Just got my RS26 back from having all the parts installed. All of the parts listed in the original post went in without a hitch, save one, the Hellwig rear helper springs (#9645). The right spring was fine but the one on the left interfered with the fuel filler pipe. I'm in the process of returning them to Hellwig.

The difference in how the unit handles both on highways and secondary roads in nothing short of fantastic. Body lean is largely eliminated. The vehicle now tracks straight and true on the highway. The front end feels firmly planted. And the vehicle feels significantly more solid and stable. The effect passing trucks have on the vehicle is significantly reduced, though not eliminated. Of all the changes to the rear suspension I think the trac bar has had the most effect. The shocks are very effective at smoothing out the ride. Expansion joints and other rough spots on the highway are much smoother when crossed.

The rear helper springs are not a complete loss. Further research has led me to another Timbren product, part number FERSDLB, SES suspension upgrade. They bolt in as a direct replacement for the OEM rear bump stop.
Here is an excerpt from the Timbren website:
"This SES Suspension Upgrade fits the rear suspension of a Ford E-450 E-550 van. Each laser cut piece of steel is precision bent and powder-coated to ensure a quality fit. We’ve engineered our hollow rubber springs to deliver a progressive spring rate. In other words, the more weight that pushes down on the rubber springs the harder they work to prevent rear end sag. Whether you’re pulling a trailer or carrying a heavy load in the back of your van, our hollow rubber springs adjust automatically to keep the vehicle level at all times. This SES Suspension Upgrade replaces the jounce stop on the frame. Its unique design ensures superb ride quality – loaded or unloaded. (There should be a ½” to 1 ½” gap between rubber spring and axle to ensure unloaded ride quality.)"

Keith