Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2019, 12:13 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Question Has anyone added additional brake lights/turn signals to an Axis/Vegas MH?

I was quite surprised that my MH only has the two brake lights at the lower level, with no third brake light as we have become accustomed to for over three decades with our cars. I'm not comfortable with this when I'm hauling my bikes, but in doing a search, I find absolutely nothing on this subject.

When towing my two "cheaper" bikes without a bike cover on them, not a real problem. There is not much covering up the tail lights. However, once I put my good bikes on there with their completely opaque cover, much of the visibility is gone. I am either going to have to add a light bar to the bike rack itself or add lights to the MH itself that are above the level of the bikes.

Has anyone else here done anything like this and if so, can you point me to the thread(s) where it was discussed so I'm not reinventing the wheel? I'm totally OK with it plugging into the 7-pin connector as I do for my trailer when I haul that. I don't need (or really desire) to splice into the actual wiring of the MH, unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks for any advice.

t

Old 06-26-2019, 12:28 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #10872
Not sure where I came across it, but someone puts some red LED strips up both corners on the back of their unit. It used the 7 pin connector on the hitch if I remember correctly.

www.offourrockerrv.com
Off Our Rocker RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:40 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah I seen some plug in LED lights that might work for you. I thought about doing the same thing. Need something to so you can see my tail lights if I have my bike covers on.

Right now I dont cover them and I have a receiver hitch 3rd brake light (slides in hitch, one pin holds it). So when I dont use the bike rack I slide it in and when I do use the bike rack I zip tie to the bottom of the rack so it still works great and looks kinda factory.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:51 PM   #4

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah I seen some plug in LED lights that might work for you. I thought about doing the same thing. Need something to so you can see my tail lights if I have my bike covers on.

Right now I dont cover them and I have a receiver hitch 3rd brake light (slides in hitch, one pin holds it). So when I dont use the bike rack I slide it in and when I do use the bike rack I zip tie to the bottom of the rack so it still works great and looks kinda factory.
Yeah, I've seen plenty that might work. I'm just wondering if anyone has already done this so I don't start a new learning curve. I have some cheap ones that I use when my bike rack is on my SUV (magnet mount), but they're not great quality and I want something that I can mount higher up, above the bikes but below the rear window.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:55 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You mean something like this:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...tos-14632.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:08 AM   #6

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Definitely something like that! And, I love the no-drill, 3M tape part the best. I just wish the video on it was working. Apparently, it doesn't exist on that server any longer.

Thanks, Jamie.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:21 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Definitely something like that! And, I love the no-drill, 3M tape part the best. I just wish the video on it was working. Apparently, it doesn't exist on that server any longer.

Thanks, Jamie.
Well I could play the videos, strange. One of them worked on first load but then it stopped. Something must be broken there.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:53 AM   #8

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well I could play the videos, strange. One of them worked on first load but then it stopped. Something must be broken there.
I sent a message to revjeffrey. Hopefully, he'll get back to me. I have to believe this setup will work for me.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #9

State: Tennessee
THOR #15912
I simply mounted a $14 LED light strip like what you put on truck tailgates to the end of my bike rack and plugged them into the hitch lights. I used an aluminum L bar from home depot $9, bolted to end of rack and stuck the strip to the aluminum L bar. It works as blinkers and breaks and is easily visible when bikes and rack is down (not folded up).

sorry....I didn't take pics but I will send later to this thread.

Amazon Example LED strip:
https://www.amazon.com/Wiipro-Tailga...%2C142&sr=8-16

HomeDepot L Bar:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2527/204273951
Old 12-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #10

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
thanks everyone, more good information I can use.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:46 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Bought a pair of matching led lights from e-trailer and added above the existing taillights. Works great.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:59 PM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I've had this on my "list" ever since I bought ours....have never done anything about it.

Several times I looked for a way to strobe the brake lights like some motorcycles have...and I've thought about several different options for an additional fixture or two....but it never seems to float high enough on the list...and at this point with this rig I doubt it ever will.

The one thing I did do very recently was to change out my existing fixtures for the LED versions....only because they started to leak again after the last fix....and were looking a bit faded anyway. Hopefully they are a bit more visible!
Old 02-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
THOR #20441
Swapped out the low quality factory lights with sealed LEDs. Very happy with the change. Bright, modern and better overall quality. A sealed housing, new gasket, and some silicone along the top / sides...good to go.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210226-020642_Video%20Player.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	28747
Old 02-26-2021, 03:20 PM   #14

Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
THOR #22279
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
Swapped out the low quality factory lights with sealed LEDs. Very happy with the change. Bright, modern and better overall quality. A sealed housing, new gasket, and some silicone along the top / sides...good to go.Attachment 28747
Vegas25.5 - nice replacement for stock tail/brake lights. Basically plug-n-play? Where did you source the replacments from?
thnx!
Old 02-26-2021, 07:50 PM   #15

THOR #20441
Went with smoked lens off Amazon. No plug and play. Cut off harness and wired together.

Attached is Etrailer, Command Electronics option as well but does not appear to be plug and play either.

I am pretty sure there is a plug and play somewhere as I think I remember someone mentioning it in a prior post.

The order I received from Amazon seemed to a quality product, especially after comparing it to the OEM stuff I removed for our Vegas.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:51 PM   #16

THOR #20441
Forgot to attach pics...Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210226-114501_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	28763Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210226-114356_Samsung%20Internet.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	28764
Old 02-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #17

Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
THOR #22279
Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #18

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
Forgot to attach pics...Attachment 28763Attachment 28764

I bought these with 2 red 2 black 1 white 1 purple. Did you get a color code with yours. I didn’t