Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2016, 05:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #1052
AGS - Auto Generator Start..

My next modification on the top of my list is an auto generator start with shore power monitoring. Since I have a Onan 4000 Microquiet it seems logical to consider the Onan EC 30 since factory harnesses are available to make owner installation easier. It appears to have been around for 4-5 years and feedback appears ok on the internet. Has anyone installed the EC 30 or EC 30W on their gas coach? Feedback appreciated even if it is a recommendation to look at another brand. I would prefer to install the unit with the help of a buddy who is an Electrical Engineer to save install costs.

The big Dogs need protection from the heat if we lose shore power while camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of File_000.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1214  

Old 01-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Some come with remotes some don't. Even if it's an extra cost the remote is a valid option. I don't have the remote and have to go outside into the basement bay and craw in half way whenever I need to change the program.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I have the Magnum AGS on the Challenger and the only remote is a switch to enable, test, or disable the AGS from inside the coach. All setting such as runtime, temp, and battery level must be set on the control panel in the outside storage area.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

THOR #3195
I will be installing this next month I hope. It's works with the xantrex most of us have in our MH now, I'll mount it next to the existing panel.

Xantrex's Automatic Generator Start is a stand-alone unit that provides automatic On/Off operation for your generator. Compatible with any inverter/charger system except Xantrex MS/RS Series.Starts and stops your auxiliary generator automatically

Xantrex’ Automatic Generator Start (part#84-2064-00) is a panel and a control module system that provides automatic activation for your generator. It can be configured so that any combination of low battery voltage or air conditioner activation starts the auxiliary generator. After running for two hours, the system will automatically stop the generator.

The AGS has a user-friendly interface that displays important system information for setting and monitoring generator start and stop-times. Light Emitting Diode (LEDs) display status, Quiet Time and the time zone settings, allowing you to set desired start and stop times.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	automatic-generator-start.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1225  
Old 01-05-2016, 06:29 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain65 View Post

....cut....

The big Dogs need protection from the heat if we lose shore power while camping.
Great looking dogs. With precious cargo like that, have you also considered a high-temperature alarm? Perhaps you have one already.

I don't have one presently, but would look into them if we get another dog or two. From what I've read they can alarm you directly in case AC doesn't cool, generator doesn't start, runs out of fuel, etc... while owner is away from RV.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #6

THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Great looking dogs. With precious cargo like that, have you also considered a high-temperature alarm? Perhaps you have one already.

I don't have one presently, but would look into them if we get another dog or two. From what I've read they can alarm you directly in case AC doesn't cool, generator doesn't start, runs out of fuel, etc... while owner is away from RV.
Not a bad idea, I'll look into it. As we do much of our camping in the SouthWest. Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:12 AM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
Not a bad idea, I'll look into it. As we do much of our camping in the SouthWest. Thanks for the idea.
Dumb question:

Your coach came with the Xantrex inverter but did not come with an AGS?

My Challenger came equipped with the Magnum, which I believe is also a Xantrex unit, at least it is compatible with the Xantrex. I'll have to go out to the coach tomorrow and get the specs for the AGS.

Also, my Fantastic Fan in the living area is thermostatically controlled. When the inside temp reaches a certain level the vent will open and the fan will turn on.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-06-2016, 12:21 AM   #8

THOR #3195
Yes, it did come with the AGS (Magnum), I just don't like having to reach in the narrow door opening, on my knees to do any setting, and I change it from winter to summer. I also have a Fantastic Fan that is thermostatically controlled (at least that is what it says) but I didn't know it opened on it's own. I'll have to check that out.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:56 AM   #9

THOR #1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Chance,

Thanks for the comment! Yes I use the USB temperature alert on my laptop.
Temperature@lert USB Standard Edition - Temperature Sensor USB
The laptop is connected to my mobile hotspot and the device sends me a text message if temp exceeds the threshold I set (75 degrees). It gives me piece of mind but would prefer AGS to start and run if needed.

D
Old 01-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #10

THOR #3195
Dave:
Your comments made me go to the internet to do a little more investigating, what I found was Magnum also makes a remote that just plugs into our AGS (Magnum) already. This is by far the most logical way to go. It costs a bit more, but it stays with the same platform and I like that. It even comes with a 50' cable to put it wherever I please.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	81C0YsCUeBL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1235  
Old 01-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
Dave:
Your comments made me go to the internet to do a little more investigating, what I found was Magnum also makes a remote that just plugs into our AGS (Magnum) already. This is by far the most logical way to go. It costs a bit more, but it stays with the same platform and I like that. It even comes with a 50' cable to put it wherever I please.
I would have to go out to my coach to look, but I wonder if the current enable, disable and test switch is plugged into the remote port on the main module. If it is that could mean running an addition al cable may not be necessary and it would just require replacement of the current switch with the remote.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #12

THOR #3195
Opps, didn't think of that, my coach is in storage and it is pouring rain, so will be a while before I can check that out. But a good point. I have a feeling that is plugged into it. I'll go back to the specs and see if the remote will do the same thing.

Just read this:

Automatic Generator Start & Battery monitoring
When used in conjunction with the ME-AGS automatic generator start controller, the ME-RC remote has the option of controlling a back-up generator. The remote's seamless integration allows users to configure AGS settings like voltage, temperature, quiet time, clock and status information.

Monitoring your battery bank is one of the most critical aspects of maintaining healthy batteries. The ME-RC remote also offers seamless operation with Magnum Energy's ME-BMK battery monitoring kit. This advanced monitor reports the percentage state of charge, real time amps, voltage, amp-hours in/out, and the minimum/ maximum DC volts.

to answer the question, what I found the answer is yes. It just replaces that remote.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Just walked out to the driveway and looked. The switch is plugged into the remote port on the module so the swap should be relatively simple. May require cutting a larger hole in the back of the cabinet where the current switch is located because of the increase in size of the remote vs the switch.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #14

THOR #3195
Both interesting and a blessing in my coach the existing switch is located at the floor level by the step coming into the coach, it was a short run from the basement bay to the existing switch. I will just plug that hole after removing the current remote and put the new remote up by the existing panels and remotes.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Looking at the ARC 50, I wonder how that will interact with the Xantrex 1800 watt inverter and if the one remote would possibly replace both the current magnum switch and the Xantrex remote.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #16

THOR #3195
I just talked to the tech guy at Magnum Energy, no good news. Your right their system will not work with the Xantrex Inverter. In fact, the model I have with the White Rocker Switch Remote, is stand alone. The remote panels that they make are network. So according to the tech guy, unless I replace everything including inverter, it is not possible. . I next called Xantrex, and their remote is also network, and will not work with the Magnum Stand alone model. So I got screwed both ways. I'm not changing everything just to get a updated remote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #17

State: Nevada
THOR #16624
Thor 35m auto gen

My Thor 35m auto gen keeps starting the generator and I am plugged in how can I turn it off?
Old 10-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the typical Thor AGS, which is a Magnum product, has several settings to 'control' whether the unit will try to crank the generator:

A) Not Enabled or Off... will not interact to start the gen(OFF)
B) Enabled..........will try to start the gen when either of the VOLT or TEMP setting is reached
C) Enable, With Quiet Time...the same as above, but ONLY within the hours allowed
D) TEST, which simply starts the Gen as a 'test', to let you know that the system is actually interacting with the Gen starter, and also automatically turns the gen OFF after a 30 second run.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote