Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2024, 08:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #30010
Hate climbing off the RV roof.

I'm 6-2 220 lb's

Not really afraid of RV roof heights, but I do hate climbing down.
Going up to me is not the issue.
What I hate is finding that first step of the built in ladder.
My knee does not bend to find that first step in a natural manner, and neither does anybodies.

So how to fix it.
Easy
Move the top step up and over the bend.
Loosen/remove screws of the top step.
Push up and around the bend.
Re-attach the screws.
You'll find climbing up and down sooooo much improved you'll wonder why did the factory do it like this from day one.

Your feet will now find that first step which is lower MUCH easier. At least mine do.

You'll also appreciate that step you moved over the bend. It will now have a safer feeling when climbing up and or down. Your fingers wrap the step instead of surrounding the round tube of the ladder structure. It will not feel slippery in the least.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240203_113004577.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	45035   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240203_113108786.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	45036  

Old 02-03-2024, 09:10 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #25260
Looks like an easy modification (and reversible if so desired).

I've read that many new RVs don't even have a ladder.

2015 ACE 30.1, 2017 RAV4, 1999 F250, 1991 Honda ST1100, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1961 MGA
ghnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:41 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Great modification! Thanks
My brother has NO ladder ..and a big issue
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:36 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
OH, if only I even had a ladder!
My Axis 25.2 has a rear slideout, therefore no ladder can be added.
Old 02-04-2024, 12:16 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
That's a great mod! I usually just go VERY slow going down and hang on tight with my hands until I'm solidly on the first step. Slow is safe.

I'm 6'1" and when our motorhome is sitting with the back end sitting down hill and leveled, my biggest problem is getting up onto the first rung... because the rear bumper is usually approaching waist high. I use a step stool.
Old 02-04-2024, 07:08 PM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGilbert View Post
OH, if only I even had a ladder!
My Axis 25.2 has a rear slideout, therefore no ladder can be added.
When we had a 25.2, I kept a 12` collapsible ladder for roof access. It fit nicely in the front pass through storage bay. Get one frthe jungle site, much cheaper than the big RV store.

Somewhere in our travels I met a guy who although there was a ladder on his rig, he used a collapsible ladder and felt much safer. Your results may vary...
Old 02-04-2024, 07:30 PM   #7

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
When we had a 25.2, I kept a 12` collapsible ladder for roof access. It fit nicely in the front pass through storage bay. Get one frthe jungle site, much cheaper than the big RV store.
Found this. Whatcha think?
https://www.amazon.com/Telescoping-C...e17e03685&th=1
Old 02-04-2024, 07:51 PM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
That's what you want. Expect it to be a bit flexible due to the joints, unlike a solid ladder. I usually placed it just past the door over the closed awning. Irwas useful in cleaning that huge windshield, too.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:03 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Great modification! Thanks
My brother has NO ladder ..and a big issue
The 2nd Thor Hurricane that failed our PDI had a loose ladder that the Dealer said could not be fixed any more than what it was. Finance Manager said we would NOT need a ladder anyway

It was very wobbly and you could tell it was only a matter of time before the screws in the fiberglass rear wall would come out. You could also tell where they had 2 or 3 sets of holes where previous repairs had been attempted. This was brand new coach on Dealer's lot. We passed.

At home where we keep the RV, I have a deck that goes up to 2nd floor of house, To access the RV roof I use those steps and the rail off the midpoint landing is perfect to get on the roof and I never need the ladder. But if I was on the road that ladder would be necessary if access to roof was needed.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:59 PM   #10

Model: ACE
State: Arizona
THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
The 2nd Thor Hurricane that failed our PDI had a loose ladder that the Dealer said could not be fixed any more than what it was. Finance Manager said we would NOT need a ladder anyway

It was very wobbly and you could tell it was only a matter of time before the screws in the fiberglass rear wall would come out. You could also tell where they had 2 or 3 sets of holes where previous repairs had been attempted. This was brand new coach on Dealer's lot. We passed.

At home where we keep the RV, I have a deck that goes up to 2nd floor of house, To access the RV roof I use those steps and the rail off the midpoint landing is perfect to get on the roof and I never need the ladder. But if I was on the road that ladder would be necessary if access to roof was needed.
Good that you didn't listen to the Finance Manager, and others, and walked away from that one! With all of those previous repairs, before even being sold once, one can only imagine what else has probably had some shoddy fixes!
What a great idea to use your 2nd floor deck to access to the RV roof.
Old 02-11-2024, 05:01 PM   #11

Model: ACE
State: Arizona
THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigalthebear View Post
I'm 6-2 220 lb's

Not really afraid of RV roof heights, but I do hate climbing down.
Going up to me is not the issue.
What I hate is finding that first step of the built in ladder.
My knee does not bend to find that first step in a natural manner, and neither does anybodies.

So how to fix it.
Easy
Move the top step up and over the bend.
Loosen/remove screws of the top step.
Push up and around the bend.
Re-attach the screws.
You'll find climbing up and down sooooo much improved you'll wonder why did the factory do it like this from day one.

Your feet will now find that first step which is lower MUCH easier. At least mine do.

You'll also appreciate that step you moved over the bend. It will now have a safer feeling when climbing up and or down. Your fingers wrap the step instead of surrounding the round tube of the ladder structure. It will not feel slippery in the least.

I'm only 5'4" and can appreciate this modification! I do not like heights and with this I like that I could just walk on and off and wouldn't have to swing around the side arm to climb on, or off of the roof. Sort of like climbing out of a pool with this set up. Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:54 PM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMott View Post
Good that you didn't listen to the Finance Manager, and others, and walked away from that one! With all of those previous repairs, before even being sold once, one can only imagine what else has probably had some shoddy fixes!
What a great idea to use your 2nd floor deck to access to the RV roof.
I really felt bad for our sales guy. He and TMC tried everything, but his bosses and that dealership had an air about them. Me and my wife was not up there with them. Dealerships like that view sales losses like ours as a cost of doing business and just move on to the next victim. When we bought our SOB, I tried to get with our former Thor Dealership Sales Guy. I wanted to give him a Visa Gift Card for his efforts but the dealership would not help us reach him. Apparently he quit not too long after we walked? I bet he told them something that we can't post The mobile number we had for him was owned by the dealership.

The picture gives all a perspective of how we modified the steps to our 2nd floor. I don't have to use the RV ladder at all. I am on that roof all the time washing and waxing it protecting from the leaves & sun. When I 1st bought the RV, you could NOT pay me to get up on that roof. Now you can't keep me off of it checking for anything I may find, cracks in roof sealant etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221201_163153_rotate.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	45125  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 02-12-2024, 02:37 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Pretty sweet setup DK. When this crappy Ohio weather breaks I'm using my RV roof as a scaffold to install a security camera and light under the rear eave... perfect height and MUCH better than working off a ladder! You should take on Judge's Eternabond Challenge. Replacing rotted Dicor becomes a distant memory!
Old 02-12-2024, 05:55 AM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Pretty sweet setup DK. When this crappy Ohio weather breaks I'm using my RV roof as a scaffold to install a security camera and light under the rear eave... perfect height and MUCH better than working off a ladder! You should take on Judge's Eternabond Challenge. Replacing rotted Dicor becomes a distant memory!
I know because of my nice personality, people tend to forget I am a SOB , but I don't have any Dicor on my Fiberglass roof. WBGO gets kind of irritated if you talk about doing anything to the roof besides inspections and Manus Bond for sealant. When I am up there waxing the roof I tend to see every little hairline before it starts to crack. I just seal with Manus Bond and go. It works really well and easy peasy to do yourself.

Tags
rv ladder mods