Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
HDMI cable

My HDMI cable has quit working so I'm thinking instead of rerouting or replacing it I would just get a small vertically mounted Blu Ray player and mount it next to the TV on the wall.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #1490
Are you still under warranty?
Old 11-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
My MH came from the factory with a bad HDMI cable to the main TV. The dealer and Thor decided to replace the cable with a wireless HDMI system rather than replace the cable that would have taken over 4 hours to replace. I haven't seen it yet but I pick it up tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works. I didn't even know they made wireless HDMI until now. Hope it works.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany 40GQ
THOR #3283
Wireless HDMI Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
My MH came from the factory with a bad HDMI cable to the main TV. The dealer and Thor decided to replace the cable with a wireless HDMI system rather than replace the cable that would have taken over 4 hours to replace. I haven't seen it yet but I pick it up tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works. I didn't even know they made wireless HDMI until now. Hope it works.
So, how did the wireless HDMI system work? Are you satisfied with the quality of the picture and sound?

Thank you

2016 Tuscany 40GQ
Jeep Grand Cherokee
5 Dogs!
racinart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
HDMI Update. It didn't work when I got it back from the dealer and since going to the dealer is worse than going to the dentist, I looked into it myself. It looks to me like the wireless HDMI was not passing the audio from the Thor installed switching unit. I connected the wireless HDMI to the BlueRay player directly and it works fine. So I can either have the BlueRay player connected to the bedroom and outside TV's through the hardwires installed by Thor or the wireless system. Not really happy with it that way but I am afraid of the mess the dealer would make if they opened the walls and ceiling to install a new cable. I'll live with it for now and maybe one day upgrade the whole system to wireless.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:09 PM   #6

State: Alberta
THOR #3214
I have the same problem with my new Windsport, except that it's the bedroom hdmi cable that's not working. Believe it or not, the dealer couldn't seem to understand the problem. He said that I needed to connect a blue ray player to the switchbox in order for the switchbox to work. Then it would play on the bedroom tv through the hdmi cable. This after it sat on their lot for 10 weeks again.

Well, no s*** Sherlock! Like I hadn't already tried that and found it didn't work.. It seems that everything that they can't or don't bother to fix because it's too much work, is my fault and I just don't know how things are supposed to work. I've even been told that there are some things that I would just have to live with because they couldn't find the cause of the problem.

After a rather long and not altogether friendly email to the dealer and Thor, it was suggested by Warranty Support that I get the wireless hdmi and Thor would cover the cost.

It's ordered today and should be in by next week. Hopefully it works !!
Old 12-12-2015, 02:09 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #2954
As an FYI on wireless HDMI, there are 2 main types. WirelessHD operates at 60GHz and is usually the cheapest but it will not transmit through cabinets. A person standing between the transmitter and receiver will also block the signal. WHDI devices do much better in non line of sight operation. It is a little bit more expensive but reliable. There are few other types but they have no caught on yet (usually for good reason). I needed to get HDMI from my media cabinet to the bedroom TV in our slide-out. I used IOGEAR Wireless HD 3D Digital Kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works like a charm. It also allows our remotes to control the equipment in the media cabinet from the bedroom (via an IR repeater over the WHDI). I also added a 2x4 HDMI matrix so I can switch my satellite or media streamer to any or all TVs in the RV (the 29.3 has 3 TVs).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1