Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2022, 04:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
Headed to see Bigfoot in March

Heading to White Pigeon Michigan from Buffalo area to get Bigfoot Levelers installed on our 2019 Compass in mid March. Any advice or concerns regarding the trip and the installation I need to look for? We are planning to stay the night with them. Not sure what is around there to visit. Most of what I have read has been positive. The trip home will include a stop in Toledo to visit Bass Pro and look over their latest walleye lure selection among other things. If you're into fishing they have a glass floor that the fish swim through, pretty cool. Might be a pricey trip....

Old 01-06-2022, 04:44 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
They are "BigFoot Approved"
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1641487475
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigFoot.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	35515  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:23 PM   #3

THOR #17969
Old 01-07-2022, 05:58 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TF
State: British Columbia
THOR #22103
We have a 24TF as well but the 2018 model Any concerns about the added weight these will add to the rig?
Demco Stay-In-Play Duo braking
Blue Ox Alpha 2 Tow Bar
Cereniers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:41 PM   #5

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Big Foot

I have an appointment for the end of April , just hope the Covid restrictioins have ended by then as its a two day trek for me from home in Canada. Plans are to take in the RV museum in Elkhart and a Thor factory tour before striking west to do some of Route 66. Please let us Compass owners know how your install went.
Coveman2
2018 C0mpass 23 TB
Napanee Ontario Canada
Old 01-07-2022, 01:41 PM   #6

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereniers View Post
We have a 24TF as well but the 2018 model Any concerns about the added weight these will add to the rig?
First question is how much do you weigh now?
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:43 PM   #7
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereniers View Post
Found this. adds roughly 180 pounds. (roughly one person's weight)

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/jus...ml#post4731175
Old 01-07-2022, 01:47 PM   #8

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I understand the whole system is around 150 pounds. May have to go on a diet to keep within my GVW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coveman2
Old 01-07-2022, 01:47 PM   #9
CHS

THOR #22388
Going to be happy with the system. Friends of ours sold there Tiffin Class A for a Thor Class C (no leveling system) first time they camped it began to pour and between me and them, we spent 30 minutes (min.) trying to get it level with blocks. Site was way off. As soon as we finished and soaked to the bone, his wife looked at her husband and said. WE ARE GETTING A BIGFOOT LEVELING SYSTEM. ONe month later it was installed. Happy wife, happy life.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:51 PM   #10
CHS

THOR #22388
I would suggest to video your instructional time with them so you do not forget anything. Also make sure you have the correct manual for your system. Mine at the time (May of 2019) was new and the manual they gave me was not. Did not have the correct instructions. Eventually the sent me the correct manual (once it was printed that is)
Was not happy that they took the time to design a new (and better) system, but did not take the time to make the manual for it before it was being installed.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
What to do in White Pigeon Michigan? Not much, it's a very small town.
If you want to visit the RV museum in Elkhart it's maybe 30–45-minute drive. We drive through White Pigeon on our way to visit our g-daughter in Kalamazoo.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:28 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I did this trip "solo" last year from central Ohio. You basically park out back behind the installation building. They will come knocking on your door - likely well before your scheduled appointment time... don't ask how I know .

Look at their facility on Google Maps. The north most building is the install "garage" with 3 or 4 (?) electric hookups (no water/sewer) in the rear of the building.

The south building is their offices... waiting room/reception on the north side of that building.

I didn't pull the toad.. as I really didn't go to sightsee - this was a "mission" trip, then back home. The installation only took about two hours. I just hung out in the rather small waiting room in the side of the (separate) main office building.

When they were done they pulled my motorhome up front of the office. A fellow came and got me - then spent about 15 minutes instructing me how to use the system, and answered any questions I had. EASY PEASY!

I was back home to Ohio in time for dinner.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:16 PM   #13

THOR #17969
When I'm fully loaded for a trip, with water, fuel and two people I am right at the GVW according the my local Cat certified scale. So I know I can lighten my load easily by only carrying 1/2 tank of water and a few unnecessary items from the coach. As I near my 70's the crawling around under a coach gets tougher so we all try to make life easier.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:27 AM   #14

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I did this trip "solo" last year from central Ohio. You basically park out back behind the installation building. They will come knocking on your door - likely well before your scheduled appointment time... don't ask how I know .

Look at their facility on Google Maps. The north most building is the install "garage" with 3 or 4 (?) electric hookups (no water/sewer) in the rear of the building.

The south building is their offices... waiting room/reception on the north side of that building.

I didn't pull the toad.. as I really didn't go to sightsee - this was a "mission" trip, then back home. The installation only took about two hours. I just hung out in the rather small waiting room in the side of the (separate) main office building.

When they were done they pulled my motorhome up front of the office. A fellow came and got me - then spent about 15 minutes instructing me how to use the system, and answered any questions I had. EASY PEASY!

I was back home to Ohio in time for dinner.
I had the exact same experience last April. After they took the RV I walked to McDonald's and got some coffee (by knocking on the window to get their attention and then walking through the drive-through because the inside seating was closed - heh) and went back to the little waiting room. There were three other people there, and we all chatted. One from NC, one from IN, and myself. When they brought my RV around, they took their time answering my questions, showing me the system, etc.

The one thing I forgot to ask at the time: Where's the fluid reservoir mounted. I found it on my own (mounted on the driver's inside frame rail just aft of the GM Aux battery) by tracing the hydraulic lines. It would have saved me that effort though. It's only been one summer, but so far I'm very happy with the system.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:46 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
I had the exact same experience last April. After they took the RV I walked to McDonald's and got some coffee (by knocking on the window to get their attention and then walking through the drive-through because the inside seating was closed - heh) and went back to the little waiting room. There were three other people there, and we all chatted. One from NC, one from IN, and myself. When they brought my RV around, they took their time answering my questions, showing me the system, etc.

The one thing I forgot to ask at the time: Where's the fluid reservoir mounted. I found it on my own (mounted on the driver's inside frame rail just aft of the GM Aux battery) by tracing the hydraulic lines. It would have saved me that effort though. It's only been one summer, but so far I'm very happy with the system.
If I were to nitpick anything, it's the jolting/jerkiness when making adjustments after the feet are in firm contact with the ground. It seems pretty harsh... not sure if it actually hurts anything?? Stress on frame?

Otherwise I can get perfectly level - much easier and precise than I ever could using blocks, etc.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:30 AM   #16

Model: Quantum JM31
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
If I were to nitpick anything, it's the jolting/jerkiness when making adjustments after the feet are in firm contact with the ground. It seems pretty harsh... not sure if it actually hurts anything?? Stress on frame?

Otherwise I can get perfectly level - much easier and precise than I ever could using blocks, etc.
I have owned three coaches with auto leveling and the jerkiness seems to be a standard feature.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:33 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edensob View Post
When I'm fully loaded for a trip, with water, fuel and two people I am right at the GVW according the my local Cat certified scale. So I know I can lighten my load easily by only carrying 1/2 tank of water and a few unnecessary items from the coach. As I near my 70's the crawling around under a coach gets tougher so we all try to make life easier.
180 lbs even if over GVWR won’t be a problem. Don’t chime in and tell me if you’re in an accident they’ll throw you in jail. Mine is 16,000 GVWR. Without my wife , loaded, filled up, I’m at 15,980. I’ve got same frame rails, springs and axles as a 18000 GVWR chassis.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:18 PM   #18

State: Oklahoma
THOR #17806
We had a set installed last winter on our 2014 Thor Chateau 28Z and stayed the night at their lot.

Covid at the time had most restaurants in the area closed down, or at the least just carry out.

We had towed my wife's Toyota Camry so we were able to drive around a bit. Went to Kalamazoo the next morning just for Something to do while they installed our levelers. About time we got up there they called and said they had our MH ready.

Bob Slack was the gentleman helping us and spent extra time showing us how to use the system and making sure we were comfortable with it before we left.

We have loved the levelers and don't regret it, They are just the manual ones

Jim&Debbie NE Okla
Old 01-12-2022, 10:59 PM   #19

Model: 24fe
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
I have an appointment for the end of April , just hope the Covid restrictioins have ended by then as its a two day trek for me from home in Canada. Plans are to take in the RV museum in Elkhart and a Thor factory tour before striking west to do some of Route 66. Please let us Compass owners know how your install went.
Coveman2
2018 C0mpass 23 TB
Napanee Ontario Canada
I had the Auto system installed on my Thor MB Sprinter-based Class C last fall. It took about 3 hours and I just drank their coffee and read the magazines in their waiting area. They did come for the RV about 10 minutes before 7:00 am. All was EZ!

The Sprinter Class Cs do not have a lot of room for weight gain. I did remove the stock electric stabilizers from the rear to gain some back and then put the RV on a diet and removed those things that I "Hope" I can do without. I even removed the bed insert over the cab as it is not used for sleeping. I tow a Chevy Sprinter (2200lbs.) and use that to save weight in the RV chassis by stowing gear there (mostly tools and a small air compressor with a tank).

Also, read the instruction manual online prior to arrival and make a list of any questions. They can be answered after the install.

One note: Bring a blank check as there is a surcharge for using a credit card.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:01 PM   #20

Model: RC25
State: Virginia
THOR #21090
Are you getting the weld on or bolt on version?
I am planning to add Bigfoot to my 2021 Quantum RC25. Contacted Bigfoot for an authorized dealer near me in New Mexico (a trip to MI is a bit far!).
The dealer suggested bolt on for ease of future maintenance if needed.
Do you all agree or disagree?
taylojc is offline   Reply With Quote