Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2019, 09:34 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
It looks like most replacement LED bubs are 6000 Lm "cool white" color.

5500 Lm is pure white and I only found one on Amazon for 4x the price (like $125 vs $39).

Has anyone found a LED replacement bulb at 5500 lm "pure white" color?

I dont want BLUE light but I have read a few post saying the light produced by 6000 "looks white" from inside the car but I guess you see some blueish ting around the headlights if you were to look from the outside?

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:14 AM   #42

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Ok, thanks....I will look into that one as well.

Did you replace your bulbs with these? If so how do you like them?
Not yet
I’ll probably order a pair and try in the fog or low beams first, see how they work, then go from there.
Great value, bright white LED
Good Amazon reviews from nearly everyone

Interesting because several reviewers swapped out their HID’s for these (they had to use an adapter), and liked them better.
Lower heat, less amperage draw, brighter white.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #43

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Not yet
I’ll probably order a pair and try in the fog or low beams first, see how they work, then go from there.
Great value, bright white LED
Good Amazon reviews from nearly everyone

Interesting because several reviewers swapped out their HID’s for these (they had to use an adapter), and liked them better.
Lower heat, less amperage draw, brighter white.
Ok, let us know how you like them... then I will place my order.

Take some before and after pictures if you can too.

Thanks.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 03-07-2019, 11:44 PM   #44

THOR #12231
Anyone install these LED headlights on their Axis / Vegas yet? if so how do you like them? I like to order a set for myself but dont like to be the ginny pig. LOL.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:55 AM   #45

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Anyone install these LED headlights on their Axis / Vegas yet? if so how do you like them? I like to order a set for myself but dont like to be the ginny pig. LOL.
Well I started today...I bought the Hikari H5 from Amazon. Easy enough to unsnap the plastic cip, twist off the retaining collar, pull out the halogen bulb and...WTH, broken lamp glass? Hmm. Went ahead with installing the new LED. As per google-translate instructions, removed bulb from adapter, insert the adapter into the back of the shell, insert the bulb and twist to align the "beads" at 9 and 3 o'clock. Plugged the pigtail into the rig's socket, then went inside and turned on the switch. No funny noise, all good. Went back outside and the lamp has a blue cast and...the lense is broken. DOH!! I've ordered the (hurry, last one) replacement but it'll arrive next week.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #46

THOR #12231
Gnach....Did you get your replacment lense yet? Did you headlights works okay? I just ordered my LED headlights and LED fog lights.... I hope to install this weekend. I will post my results.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #47

THOR #12231
Finally replaced my headlights and driving light with LED. Very white and bright. Have not driven at night by I did take some picture inside my storage shed and in front of my garage door.

I might have to do some ajusting. One of the driving lights is higher than the other. Plus if i get other cars flashing me at night I will know its too high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5311.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	16326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5327.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	16327  

Name:	IMG_5318.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	16328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5319.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	16329  

Name:	IMG_5320.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	16330  
Old 03-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #48

THOR #6582
Headlight Replacement

This should apply to all models but mine is a 2018 Axis/Vegas. The passenger side headlight lens was broken, yet the OEM halogen lamp still lit. I was going to replace the stock bulbs for LEDs when I spotted the shattered lens. I ordered the replacement Kaper II L01-0035 Clear 5 3/4" Headlight -HB5 (Amazon). I already had the Hikari LED Conversion Kit-9007 (HB5).

The process is pretty straight forward. For best access it's easiest to turn the front wheel behind the light hard to the inside and open your "hood". On this Axis, from inside the wheelwell, there are 3 longs screws held with 3/8" nylock nuts from the chromed headlight trim. Two inboard nuts are easily reached from the front, thru the open hood. Remove the nuts and gently ease the trim piece from the headlight and turn signal. The replacement lamp comes with the same halogen bulb, bezel, and the mounting shell. I only needed the lamp since I was changing out the bulbs. The existing lamp is held in place by the bezel and 3 screws. Remove the screws and bezel, jiggle the lamp loose, pull forward and ease the blue socket off the bulb by gently lifting the lock tab. If only replacing the headlamp, install the new one, with bulb, paying attention to the TOP orientation on the glass lens. Replace the bezel with the 3 screws. This would be a good time to test that the headlight works. Replace the chromed headlight trim and you're done.

To replace only the bulbs, you don't need to remove the chrome trim and it's easy from the open hood. The bulb is held by a black ring, twist to the left and jiggle the bulb out. It's snug. The 9007 (HB5) LED replacement bulb is not a straight replacement. It has an adapter ring that twists into the back of the headlamp and the bulb inserts into this and is adjustable, rotationally, but the chips are to be set at 9 and 3 o'clock, horizontally. There is a pigtail that plugs into the stock socket on the end of the wires.

Looking at them from head-on, the light is bluish. From inside, it's very white and considerably brighter. The illumination from the stock lens is garbage. The pattern is narrow, diamond-like with no cut-off. It's really noticeable with the improved light output. Obviously, I need to adjust these now, but I have to do it on the street as the the driveway is angled and too short anyway.

So now, I'm looking for a 5 3/4" High/Low headlamp that's designed for current standards and not a farm tractor. Hmm, maybe John Deere has a better unit. Probably.

New LED Low Beam Pattern-

New LED High Beam Pattern
Old 03-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #49

THOR #12231
Nice job. Brighter lights sure make it nicer to drive at night.... esp in rain.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:56 PM   #50

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
interesting thread.
So overall- do you think its worth it to replace the standard lights with LED lights? Do the LED lights seem brighter? Do you think its worth the cost?
Thanks!
Old 04-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #51

THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
interesting thread.
So overall- do you think its worth it to replace the standard lights with LED lights? Do the LED lights seem brighter? Do you think its worth the cost?
Thanks!
Brighter? YES!
Worth the cost? ABSOLUTELY!
I was driving beyond the low beams before. I can see the road now. The headlight assembly itself is junk, right out of the '60s, poor spread (using the fog lights helps) and no cut off. I'm looking for a replacement but today's cars and trucks design the lights in. Ours are just screwed into a hole in the fiberglass.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #52

THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Brighter? YES!
Worth the cost? ABSOLUTELY!
I was driving beyond the low beams before. I can see the road now. The headlight assembly itself is junk, right out of the '60s, poor spread (using the fog lights helps) and no cut off. I'm looking for a replacement but today's cars and trucks design the lights in. Ours are just screwed into a hole in the fiberglass.

I installed the H11/H8/H9 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit, DOT Approved, SEALIGHT S1 Series 12x CSP Chips Low Beam/Fog Light Bulb- 6000LM 6000K Xenon White yesterday. Took about 10 min to unscrew old lights and replace the bulbs and then zip-tie in the wire. They look great- i still use my high beams on rurual/dark roads but they are very bright. The only weird thing now is that my high beams are so yellow compared to the regular running lights. I assume these LED would also work as well replacing the high beams or would they not be as bright as the high beams? It would be nice for both lights to have the same color.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #53

THOR #10717
Following up on the high beam LED:
I purchased and installed these. It took about 10 min. Exact fit on my 2018 thor vegs 24.1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H11 (H8,H9), Prime LED 12000lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty

They are fantastic- well worth the $90. Last weekend I was driving at night in a strong thunderstorm and they were crucial in helping me drive safety and seeing well. The lights are incredibly bright.

They will shut off if you are not moving though as they need active cooling in addition to the built in fans.

Well worth the $90 investment for the increase in night visibility.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #54

THOR #12231
Most excellent. I finally adjusted one of my fog (driving) lights so its not too high (was blinding other drivers) and equal to the other side.

Has anyone adjusted the headlights in the Axis/Vegas RV's. Looks like you have to take the chrome bezel off? Is it just the one 10mm nut (on a stud) that holds it on? Does the other side fit in a groove? Any pictures of this?