Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2022, 05:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #28216
High point micro/convection issue

Hello all. We have a 2021 magnitude RB34 with the high point micro/convection oven. My question is, has anyone changed this out for a GE version or any brand? The convection only setting doesn’t cook good at all. Everything takes 2-3 times longer than it does at home.
We love the coach even with all the usual issues many of you have discussed on here.
Judge you are an encyclopedia of knowledge as are others on here, just can’t remember the user names at this moment.
We are starting to have issues with the front cap as well as the lower part of the rear cap on the street side. I guess we’ve been luckier than most as we’ve accumulated over 23k miles since may 2021, but we had our fair share of issues such as the passenger side awning becoming detached from house in Mississippi and front bracket coming loose too once we got home. Slide out awning hex arm snapping in Page,AZ by the damn. Slide out breaking numerous times. Can’t wait to Vroom mechanism, have an August reservation in Tucson but hoping they get someone in south Florida sooner that we can go to. Guess I rambled a little. Thank you in advance for the help and advice.

Old 11-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
High point micro/convection issue

We haven’t had any issues with our convection / microwave. I don’t think anything has taken 2 or 3 times than our home oven. If you can find another brand with the same width, it should be relatively easy to swap it out.

Before we left on our 7-week trip I inspected the awning….. and to no surpise…. I found 3 of the 6 bolts for the front mount were stripped. Once again Thor used bolts that were too small and they over tightened them so they stripped. I ended up using bigger lag bolts with adhesive sealant and lock washers and no issues after 5000+ miles on some very rough roads.

Those very rough roads did undo Thor’s attempt to fix my front cap. It held for 18 months and twice as much mileage as the original attachment at the factory but I should have known it wasn’t a permanent fix after seeing what kwplot34 and Pillbox did for their front caps.

I ended up installing bolts, nylok nuts and fender washers after we got back last month. I still have some work to finish up on it but it will be better than what Thor did or what any dealer would do.

Vroom will fix your slide woes once and for all!

What’s up with the rear cap?
Old 11-06-2022, 07:53 PM   #3

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Global1 View Post
Hello all. We have a 2021 magnitude RB34 with the high point micro/convection oven. My question is, has anyone changed this out for a GE version or any brand? The convection only setting doesn’t cook good at all. Everything takes 2-3 times longer than it does at home.
We love the coach even with all the usual issues many of you have discussed on here.
Judge you are an encyclopedia of knowledge as are others on here, just can’t remember the user names at this moment.
We are starting to have issues with the front cap as well as the lower part of the rear cap on the street side. I guess we’ve been luckier than most as we’ve accumulated over 23k miles since may 2021, but we had our fair share of issues such as the passenger side awning becoming detached from house in Mississippi and front bracket coming loose too once we got home. Slide out awning hex arm snapping in Page,AZ by the damn. Slide out breaking numerous times. Can’t wait to Vroom mechanism, have an August reservation in Tucson but hoping they get someone in south Florida sooner that we can go to. Guess I rambled a little. Thank you in advance for the help and advice.
I have a breville oven at home and found after searching that the fan for the convection stops working just out of warranty. I now have a great toaster oven. Make sure the fan works when set to convection cooking or it will take a long time to cook, just figuring the heating element is working
Old 11-06-2022, 10:21 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
FWIW, an important thing for getting good (and timely) results with the convection oven is to be sure and preheat it. It does take a while, but if one knows this and plans accordingly it works pretty well.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:43 PM   #5

State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
I’ve used an oven thermometer - 2 different ones to be sure - and found that my Hight Point convection oven will slowly creak its way up to 360 if I set the oven as high as it will go. I think the setting on the oven is about 425F at that point. Most things I want to bake will be okay at that moderate heat, but anything that requires high heat is heading for a fail.

I would love to swap out my convection microwave for another one. If anyone has done this and got a better result, as the OP asked, I’d love to hear about it too.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:15 PM   #6

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Front Cap

Can’t really address the convection micro issue, but I do have some input on the front cap. and there is a thread dedicated to the front cap.

I recently made my second trip to Thor factory in regards to front cap; this time around they removed the screws and replaced with stainless steel rivets.

Also throwing this out here due to issues with that front cap shade. Apparently during assembly the manufacturer shipping screws were left in, apparently they were suppose to be removed and replaced during installation. Not doing so can cause the shade to shutter and eventually become disabled.