Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31s
State: Florida
THOR #18965
AC

Hello,

We have a 2018 31s Windsport and while we live in Florida and plan on going camping during the summer, we originally purchased our RV to take trips out west, Arizona, Nevada etc during summer vacation for the kids. We only have one roof top AC unit and I am beginning to wonder if that will be sufficient to cool or coach during the summer in both of these very hot places. Has anyone had any issues keeping cool during the day with a similar coach and one AC unit?

Florida only gets to 90s and the humidity is what kills you but last time we were in Sedona without the RV it was 115.

It is just very expensive to upgrade to 50amp and install another AC unit.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Which coach and AC unit do you have? Big difference in cooling an Axis or Ace, for example.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Pending the answer to the previous questions asked....

You could look at adding something like this to your AC's to allow you to start two A/C's on 30AMPS should you decide to add a second unit.

https://www.microair.net/

Of course you will want to watch the current demand when you are running them both at the same time under extreme conditions.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:08 PM   #4

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
you will need a second AC

We have done that trip with the grandkids many times (recorded how long an ice cube takes to melt in 105 degree dry heat!!) With your size coach you will need an extra AC.. No need to upgrade to 50A ; we just run a 20A line from the second AC to the pedestal. This means you only have 2 ACs when on shore power. Generator will only support one AC.
So before hitting the road cool it down as coach will heat up with one AC plus the dash.
We added the second AC in our first year and it has been a lifesaver. Buy a 50A to 30A & 20A plug as some campgrounds have 30A only pedestals and 50A only pedestals with no 20A option.
Back when we got our ACE 30.2 there was no option for 2 ac's; now new units can be ordered with 2. You could say we were ahead of our time!
Good luck. Dry heat is still heat.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey&Reina View Post
Hello,
We have a 2018 31s Windsport and while we live in Florida and plan on going camping during the summer, we originally purchased our RV to take trips out west, Arizona, Nevada etc during summer vacation for the kids. We only have one roof top AC unit and I am beginning to wonder if that will be sufficient to cool or coach during the summer in both of these very hot places. Has anyone had any issues keeping cool during the day with a similar coach and one AC unit?

Florida only gets to 90s and the humidity is what kills you but last time we were in Sedona without the RV it was 115.

The one 15,000 btu A/C and handle up to about 95 degrees in the shade and about 85 in the full sun during the summer. I have camped in the 31S with one A/C in the 95 degrees full sun in San Antonio with Reflectix covering all the windows. The inside of the coach got to about 88 degrees in the afternoon. The inside would cool down to 78 about 10 pm. It takes about $2,200 in parts and wire to change from 30 amp one A/C to 50 amp 2 A/Cs with EMS. I did all my rewiring and had a RV shop install the rear Mach 8 heat pump. It should cost about 5 hours to rewire the coach @ $135 per hour. Any good electrician can do it. It doesn't need to be an RV shop.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Which coach and AC unit do you have? Big difference in cooling an Axis or Ace, for example.

Am I missing something here?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 31s
THOR #18965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post

The coach is a 2018 31s Windsport. I store it a storage place so I will have to check on the AC unit for the specific model but my paperwork says it is an Airxcel.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
The coach is a 2018 31s Windsport. I store it a storage place so I will have to check on the AC unit for the specific model but my paperwork says it is an Airxcel.
I'm sure it's a 15K BTU unit.

Install the second AC with it's own power cord. That's a common mod for single AC 30 amp RVs.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
With your size coach you will need an extra AC.. No need to upgrade to 50A ; we just run a 20A line from the second AC to the pedestal. This means you only have 2 ACs when on shore power. Generator will only support one AC.
Not true, The Onan 4000 (33 amps) will run both our 13,500 BTU Mach 3 PS (10 amps) and the 13,500 Mach 8 plus (15 amps) and leave enough power for the A/Cs to recycle (although the seldom recycle). I do it all the time when traveling in the summer here in South Texas.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote