Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Radio Upgrade and Backup Camera

Will it finally happened to my 2015 Windsport 27K, the POS Jensen JRV-212 radio went Tango Uniform. So it was an easy decision to replace it with an Android Head unit. I chose the ATOTO A6Y2721PR I love it, such an awesome upgrade from the POS Jensen and about half the cost of replacing it with another Jensen. It has only one RCA composite video input so I also installed a Voyager Multi-Camera Controller CSW3. It works just like the old system, all three cameras switch with the turn signals and reverse.

My only issue is I can't turn on the rear backup camera to check up on the towed while driving. I could rig a switch to the trigger wire going into the CSW3, but I need to know if the camera is always powered on or is it only powered when in reverse? Does anyone know? Thanks

2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #17787
Mine does the same thing. The end around I use is turning on the hazard lights momentarily - it activates the rear camera. I've also got a wifi dash cam hanging in the rear window as a secondary aft video source.
AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #3

THOR #7634
I called the maker of the multi-camera controller this morning. Good news for me, the controller does indeed power the cameras. So all I need to do is put in a switch and a "towing diode" to the backup camera trigger wire. The diode will take two inputs, the backup input and the switch input and will output one trigger signal to the CSW3 multi-camera controller. The diode prevents the signal from the switch from back feeding to the backup signal input.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 05-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #4

THOR #7634
That's interesting, the hazard lights turn on the backup camera? I'll have to try it and see if that works. I am a geek, so adding a dedicated switch to activate the camera sounds like a fun challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAL787 View Post
Mine does the same thing. The end around I use is turning on the hazard lights momentarily - it activates the rear camera. I've also got a wifi dash cam hanging in the rear window as a secondary aft video source.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 05-25-2020, 11:54 PM   #5

THOR #7634
So I have finished the install and I am very pleased with the outcome. I'll document it here so hopefully someone else can follow along.

The ATOTO A6 Pro installed in the same double-DIN cage that held the Jensen. The friction fit is so tight there is no need for any screws or other fasteners between the radio and the cage. I purchased a Metra Electronics - Trim Rings - Universal (89-50-0900) Metra Kits Trim Rings package to make the install look a bit more professional. Here is the before and after with the trim rings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ATOTO_Install_Compare.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	23915

Now the interesting and fun part. The original Jensen radio had three video inputs and took 3 input triggers to switch the monitor between backup and the right and left turn signals. Most new auto head units have a single video/audio input so that could limit you to one camera.

Fortunately ASA Electronics the maker of the Jensen radios has a solution in the CSW3/CSW3007 Multi-Camera Controller The controller takes the 3 camera inputs and powers them and will output whichever camera is triggered to a single video output for the car head unit.

So this solves the 3 camera/one input problem very nicely. But the ATOTO A6 unit doesn't have a button to turn on the rear/backup camera while driving forward. I use the rear camera to keep an eye on the towed vehicle so I solved it with a switch on the dash to trigger the rear camera on the camera controller box. A tailight isolator diode keeps the dash switch from inadvertently illuminating the backup light when switched on. I used one of the diodes from the Hopkins 48955 Towed Vehicle Diodes Kit . I have one blank switch location below the car head unit so I found a matching switch from Rocker Switch Pros with a custom "actuator" that reads "Backup Camera". Now I can simply hit the switch whenever I want to activate the rear camera and the normal backup gear shift works too.

Here is a schematic of the camera controller, diode and switch configuration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV_Backup_Camera_Circuit2.png
Views:	387
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	23917

Here is a PDF of the schematic RV_Backup_Camera_Circuit.pdf

Hope this helps anyone who wishes to replace that junk Jensen radio Thor installs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thutchis View Post
Will it finally happened to my 2015 Windsport 27K, the POS Jensen JRV-212 radio went Tango Uniform. So it was an easy decision to replace it with an Android Head unit.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 05-26-2020, 01:30 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutchis View Post
So I have finished the install and I am very pleased with the outcome. I'll document it here so hopefully someone else can follow along.

The ATOTO A6 Pro installed in the same double-DIN cage that held the Jensen. The friction fit is so tight there is no need for any screws or other fasteners between the radio and the cage. I purchased a Metra Electronics - Trim Rings - Universal (89-50-0900) Metra Kits Trim Rings package to make the install look a bit more professional. Here is the before and after with the trim rings.

Attachment 23915

Now the interesting and fun part. The original Jensen radio had three video inputs and took 3 input triggers to switch the monitor between backup and the right and left turn signals. Most new auto head units have a single video/audio input so that could limit you to one camera.

Fortunately ASA Electronics the maker of the Jensen radios has a solution in the CSW3/CSW3007 Multi-Camera Controller The controller takes the 3 camera inputs and powers them and will output whichever camera is triggered to a single video output for the car head unit.

So this solves the 3 camera/one input problem very nicely. But the ATOTO A6 unit doesn't have a button to turn on the rear/backup camera while driving forward. I use the rear camera to keep an eye on the towed vehicle so I solved it with a switch on the dash to trigger the rear camera on the camera controller box. A tailight isolator diode keeps the dash switch from inadvertently illuminating the backup light when switched on. I used one of the diodes from the Hopkins 48955 Towed Vehicle Diodes Kit . I have one blank switch location below the car head unit so I found a matching switch from Rocker Switch Pros with a custom "actuator" that reads "Backup Camera". Now I can simply hit the switch whenever I want to activate the rear camera and the normal backup gear shift works too.

Here is a schematic of the camera controller, diode and switch configuration.

Attachment 23917

Here is a PDF of the schematic Attachment 23916

Hope this helps anyone who wishes to replace that junk Jensen radio Thor installs.
This is impressive. I want Android Auto and Waze so bad. My coach is only 6 months old so I kind of stuck with a basic Pioneer system. The cameras have a tendency to flicker and they have talked about replace the entire radio. Too bad they won't go with a new system.

Can you give me a ball park of total out of pocket to have something like this installed? I can turn my rear camera on/off now. Signal turn on the side and do not stop my music or audio, touchscreen but the size is similar to what you have.
My guess is $1,200 installed?

While I am at it, I would also look at new speakers and amplifiers / receiver that my TV could also connect to?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #7

THOR #7634
My total parts cost comes out at $372.17. As far as labor cost, the entire project was a DIY and I spent hours researching everything to make it work. If I was to install another one, it would take me probably 2-3 hours if I had everything on hand. I am not a professional installer, but you could take my information to a pro and see what they think their cost would be. The biggest variable is the fit of the new radio in the old cage. Since I am not a pro, I don't have any experience with fitting that kind of stuff. I was very lucky the ATOTO A6 fit perfectly in the old Jensen double-DIN cage.

If I was to do this over I would seriously look at the PUMPKIN Android 9.0 Car Stereo Double Din It seems to have the same capabilities as the ATOTO A6, but has a newer version of Android, 9 vs 6 in the ATOTO.

The ATOTO A6 comes with Google Maps installed, but I installed Sygic GPS Navigation because it uses off-line downloadable maps. I haven't used WAZE, so I don't know if it uses off-line maps.

Hope this helps, go ahead and contact me if you have any questions. Here is a breakdown of the parts and costs. RV_Stereo_Upgrade.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Can you give me a ball park of total out of pocket to have something like this installed?
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 06-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #8

Model: FW Chateau Citatiion 23BA
State: Tennessee
THOR #8316
Thanks thutchis, for sharing!

Tags
android, atoto, jrv212t, radioinstallation, radioupgrade