Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2020, 09:06 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor challenger
State: Texas
THOR #17618
Get the sway out

I have a Thor challenger 38’ it was awful, the last thing I did after sumo springs , front and rear seat bars was rear track bar, wish I would have started there,is has done the most for the sway and push from other vehicles, I tow a Jeep Wrangler. It also made sharp corners more manageable and less terrifying. After all I’ve done it is now easy and less stressful to drive, hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:15 PM   #22
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
ON MY Itaska Spirit I was almost killed. It took steer safe, air bags in the back to lift it level, and then an alignment. Great ride and I could drive it with one finger. I did not except to see just how good the fix was. I did not have to replace the shocks until the front tires started to show that they were needed.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #23

State: Kentucky
THOR #18991
I was wondering who I get to install those things.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:19 PM   #24
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor42141 View Post
I was wondering who I get to install those things.

I usually go to an independent shop that handles RV's, cars, and trucks that has RVIA-RVDA certified technicians. Generally any truck shop that does front end alignment and trailer alignments can do the work. If you trust your dealer, you might inquire there. My dealer also has RVIA-RVDA certified technicians and had done a great job on removing the big slide and replacing the internal frame for that slide, but I do not think I would use the dealer for air bag or steer safe. I would use the independent service shop.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:26 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Oklahoma
THOR #14018
SumoSprings and heavier sway bars front and rear. You’ll be amazed at difference.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:28 PM   #26

State: New York
THOR #12610
I spent a lot of years driving step vans and utility trucks. I would have to get the feel of how much play was in steering (sometimes over 100k miles ) along with how they were weighted. They always changed. The trick was knowing how far left I could take the wheel and stay straight. I would see a truck or bus approaching and would turn left as they came along side. I was proactive instead of reactive. I I waited too long I got blown right and had to white knuckle it.
I have been doing this with my Axis and have had great luck without changes.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:53 PM   #27

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
You will be surprised when you install the Sumo Springs. They work great on my Class C Mercedes Benz Chassis.

Paul
Old 06-28-2020, 01:32 AM   #28

State: Colorado
THOR #6286
Semi- Sway Suggestion

I didn’t read all the replies so I apologize if this has already been suggested. When I first started traveling with my Motor Home someone suggested cracking a couple windows and it works wonders. I wasn’t really complaining about it but tried it and I noticed a big difference.
Cheers
Old 06-28-2020, 02:08 AM   #29

Model: ACE 30.1 EVO
State: Florida
THOR #17880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
Sumo’s front and rear, steering stabilizer, rear track bar, larger sway bar front and rear. I am sure I have left some stuff off. The sumo’s on the front helped a lot. So did the steering stabilizer. I would suggest you do one upgrade at a time. I would start with the steering stabilizer, then the sumo’s. I had a lot of tail wag so added the track bar, you may not need it. I have sumo’s just on the front. Others here on the forum will suggest a different approach. Do what you feel comfortable with.
I agree 100%. We purchased a Thor ACE 30.1 EVO last March. The previous/original owner had added a steering stabilizer but the swaying was terrible when being passed by large trucks and on windy days. We added Sumo Springs front and rear, an additional Anti-Sway Bar in the rear, replaced the front Anti-Sway Bar with an after market upgrade and added a Track Bar. We took it to the Keys this month and the difference was amazing. We tow a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door). There were times that a semi was passing me and I did not even notice until I saw it's front end out my driver's window. Bought most of the parts through Amazon and installed them myself. The hardest part was the back Sumo Springs because I had to remove the rear wheels to install them. They turned a white knuckle driving experience into a pleasure. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: South Dakota
THOR #11771
Safe T Plus

http://www.safe-t-plus.com/

Takescare of semi sway. You can put one on your TOAD
We tow a 2014 Jeep GC or our Wrangler. We did not add springs, or sway bars. Took care of 90% of “sway”

Ours is a 2018 Vegas 24.1 and we have logged 40K in the last 2 years
Old 06-28-2020, 07:21 PM   #31

Model: Four Winds
State: Arizona
THOR #12097
I have the same issue with semi's and cross winds, of course. 25' Thor Four Winds on a 2018 Ford E-350 chassis. It has an about a 7/8" sway bar with no shocks up front and leaf springs, shocks, and a 1" to 1 1/8" sway bar out back. I thinking a heavier sway bars i front and rear and bigger shocks in the back. Maybe air bags all the way around. Thoughts?