Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Idaho
THOR #2306
2016 Hurricane 6 volt Replace?

Hello,
I am purchasing a new 2016 Hurricane 27K. I want to take the standard 12 volt batteries that come with the coach and install 2 six volt Trojans. Does anyone know if the existing area will allow for this change? worried if there is enough room.

This my first post and I have really enjoyed all the information that has been shared from so many of you Thor owners.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
I'm not sure about the 26K model, but there is room in the 34E for four six volt golf cart batteries. 6V batteries take less space, but they are taller.

There is plenty of vertical clearance, and the four golf cart batteries fit like a glove, (someone must have actually considered it when they designed the steel shelf that they rest on).

You will very likely want to get a Flow-Rite battery water level system for each pair of batteries, because with the cables installed there is NO room for normal maintenance without removing the batteries each time.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #3

State: Washington
THOR #573
2016 Hurricane 6 volt Replace?

I have a 2014 Hurricane 27.1k. I replaced my 12 volt with two 6 volt Duracell batteries (SLIGC145UT) without issue. The stock wiring was a little tight, but they fit OK. All I needed was a short jumper between the two batteries.

It will depend on the exact size of the batteries, but I have plenty of room for routine maintenance.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #4

State: Idaho
THOR #2306
Thanks. That is good news. I love the added capacity that 6 volt batteries bring to my boon docking.

Tags
6 volt, batteries, hurricnae