Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2017, 01:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Challenger sofa air mattress replacement

I have a 2015 Challenger that has a sofa bed that uses an air mattress. Not sure how other folks feel about air mattress' but I, for the most part, can't stand them. They don't seem that comfortable and "leaking" seems to be a common issue. That is the case with the air mattress used on the sofa bed of our Challenger. After using it the first time, leaked. Although Thor sent us a replacement, it too is uncomfortable and I'm sure it has a leak in its future. One of the issues that might contribute to its eventual leaking is that we fold it up into the sofa bed because there is not a great place to keep such a large deflated air mattress especially when there are more than two of us sleeping in the coach. Plus folding it away in the sofa is very convenient. What I noticed is that starting in 2016, Thor went to a regular sofa bed that uses the cushions instead of an air mattress. Couple of options I thought of is maybe a thin bed mattress/cushion that I can use instead of the air mattress that can also be folded with the sofa bed but would have to be comfortable. Another option, of course, is to replace the sofa bed with a new one but after checking around, they are pretty pricey. Would be nice if the existing one could be modified so that its cushions can be used as the sleeping base as is done with the 2016 and higher models. Looking for some suggestions and if someone out there has already remedied this would love to know how. Thanks in advance.

2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Sorry, don't have a solution....
but we also have an airbed in our sofa.
In our plan, the fabric upholstery option came with a jacknife sofa, while the leatherette came with the airbed.
DW wanted leatherette thinking it would be easier to deal with spills and such

Fast forward a couple years, and the cheap leatherette is really a sorry excuse of a low quality fabric and is coming apart.
and we have yet to ever inflate the mattress..... no wait, we did once.

Anyway, I have had an eye open for some time for some sort of slip cover for it.... or toying with the idea of pulling it out and taking it to an upholstery shop....
but more lately I've been toying with the idea of finding a futon that would fit. the more i think about it a futon or jacknife bed would be so much easier and fast, when one of my kids wants to sleep there....and so much more comfortable than sleeping on it in "sofa mode" like they do now.....
Old 07-22-2017, 02:33 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Kentucky
THOR #8422
air mattress

We had a 2010 Challenger and felt the same way about the air mattress. To make it worse we had the fabric flaw. We were all set to replace the sofa with a trifold, but decided on a new RV.
If you are going to use it a lot, I would just invest in a trifold sofa. You could cut plywood and buy a thick memory foam pad if it would be occasional use. It would eat into your storage of course.

Good luck,
Hope you come up with something that works. Here is a couple sites I was looking at......

https://www.rvpartsnation.com/rv-furniture/

RV Furniture,Seats,RV Marine Boat Furniture Sofa Beds
Old 07-22-2017, 03:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The one time our sofa got used as a bed my daughter inflated the air mattress threw it on the floor and said the hell with the sofa. That worked for me because when our sofa gets configured as a bed you can't get from the bedroom into the kitchen area without climbing over the sofa bed.

I have been thinking about replacing my sofa with a jack knife.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote