Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #15410
Did it put you over weight on the back axle? My water tank is there,and I was told it would be over weight, even though there is a void that it would fit nicely.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #22

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connieb View Post
Did it put you over weight on the back axle? My water tank is there,and I was told it would be over weight, even though there is a void that it would fit nicely.
Good point!

My Vegas has a 42 gal water tank which, when full equates to 336 pounds.
The spare + rim weighs under 50 pounds.

If you’re concerned, remove 6 gallons of water from your tank (48 pounds).

Personally...I rarely fill my tank to where it burps out the top when full.

I know my tools and gear and extra drinking water in the rear storage locker would be responsible for any over weight I have.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I carry cheap dollar store shower curtains to lay myself on if I ever have to be on the ground, on my side, doing a long reach above my head, lowering a spare or changing a tire or carving an elk out from the front suspension.
This is a great, inexpensive, and easily stowable clothing saver, but I prefer a large, folded up sheet of cardboard--e.g., from a large appliance or RV cover box--for the slight but significant cushioning it provides when laying on the ground.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #24

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Where do you store a large piece of a cardboard, large enough to lay upon, in an rv?
We save big sheets, probably too many of them, for home use.
Cardboard melts in the rain. If I'm changing a tire on the road you can damn well bet it'll be raining or snowing.

As a cushion thing, a blow up pool mat would be perfect and about 2 bucks.
Even better would be one of the self inflating camping mats for 4 bucks at a yard sale.

I'll buy the next camping mat I find at a yard sale.
Thanks for helping me think of improvements.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #25

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
Quote:
Where do you store a large piece of a cardboard, large enough to lay upon, in an rv?
I guess it depends on the RV...mine has a large storage area in the right rear flank that works perfectly for larger items.
Quote:
Cardboard melts in the rain. If I'm changing a tire on the road you can damn well bet it'll be raining or snowing.
Good point--that does seem to be the way these things usually work out.

Quote:
As a cushion thing, a blow up pool mat would be perfect and about 2 bucks.
Even better would be one of the self inflating camping mats for 4 bucks at a yard sale.

I'll buy the next camping mat I find at a yard sale.
Thanks for helping me think of improvements.
All great ideas. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #26

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I have two large (4x6) cardbords in my Axis.

Cardbord does fold you know. LOL... Fold so it fits in the front compartment under the Drivers seat. I also have a smaller sheet of carboard in the rear storage comparment folded in half. I can sit on that if I need to change a tire etc. Plus I have one of those foam knee pads (like 8 inch x 14 inch) if needed and a folding milk crate to sit on while working.

I like the comfort of the cardboard plus it insulates you if the ground is hot or cold. You can use it for laying in the mud / water and just toss it later if too dirty / wet. I always have more cardboard in my shed.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:11 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Hi where can I order a spare rim tire cheap? Also where did you get the metal bars to hold the tire in place? Also I looked under the 2020 vegas 25.6 can not find a hard place front and back to place a lift jack if needed?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #28

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hi where can I order a spare rim tire cheap? Also where did you get the metal bars to hold the tire in place? Also I looked under the 2020 vegas 25.6 can not find a hard place front and back to place a lift jack if needed?

You’ll have to look by the Ford chassis not the Thor model. When I had my E450 chassis class C I bought a new wheel online from a company called wheels and caps (I think) for about $55. With shipping it was about $70. It was a few years ago though. I found a new orphan tire at a local tire store for $60 installed.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:51 PM   #29

THOR #12231
Quote:
I ordered everything from Amazon. But im sure you could find at a local metal suppler. My Local HD didnt have what I was looking for.

But If I had to do it over I would get a Lightly used FORD OEM RIM (Ebay?) for the same money. Much better fit than my new aftermarket rim. But what I have works fine.

You said "lift Jack" Are you refering to lift points for a jack when you have a flat? Well in my case I use my Big Foot levelers then a safty jacks under the axle. I already did a trail run - works great for me.

I would think you would have to get a bottle jack under the F or R Axles? Or blocks of wood (or use plastic lego blocks under the jack to get the bottle jack up high enough?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #30

THOR #20220
I have these not sure where to place front and back. Much plastic underneath and generator moves up so can't put there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201201-072303_Chrome.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	27440  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 12-01-2020, 02:26 PM   #31

THOR #20220
These
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20201201-072303_Chrome.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	27441  
Old 12-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #32

THOR #12231
Quote:
These
Well the problem is they are only rated at "2 ton". But both together on "one side" while changing "one tire or one corner" you should be safe. But need to be under the axle or frame.

When I scaled my Axis 3 Years ago I was like 4900# front axle and 7600 # rear axle (so almost 4 ton on the rear axle alone). 12,500 gross fully loaded (Water, Fuel, People + Stuff etc).

Maybe use a 2nd bottle jack (rated at 6 ton to be safe) on top of leveling blocks in place of a standard saftey jack? I would test this out in my driveway first before trying it on the road to make sure its secure. Just a tought.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #33

THOR #20220
I found this but not sure front read where there is metal to hold up the motorhome? any pics?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jack.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	27450  
Old 12-01-2020, 08:22 PM   #34

THOR #20220
i guess a 6 would work
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jack.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	27452  
Old 12-01-2020, 08:46 PM   #35

THOR #12231
Most likely you will jack under the axle where the leave springs connect to the axle. Perhaps you have room for TWO under the axle (one to jack and one act as a jack stand?).

Or stack up some lego leveling block to connect with the frame somehwere or the rear hitch?
Old 12-01-2020, 09:10 PM   #36

THOR #20220
thanks
Old 12-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #37

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
I purchases a 6 ton bottle jack from sears, about 50$, made in china. it works very well for me. I have 2 - 6 ton stands, very well for me. I jack my rear at the axel, and the front at the crossbars. when I put it all up, I place wooden blocks under rear axel and the two jack stands under front crossbar. I put it all up when I have stationary plans over 3 weeks. why? I feel it does the tires well. I have no supporting evidence that this does any good, other than in my experience from long ago, tires develop flat spots and fatigue from sitting with large weight for extended periods of time. ya, I know todays technology and yadda yadda, but I still feel happier when its up, and it gives me practice getting it up. 30 minutes and I am all smiles (Wink Wink).
Old 12-06-2020, 03:14 PM   #38

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
I purchases a 6 ton bottle jack from sears, about 50$, made in china. it works very well for me. I have 2 - 6 ton stands, very well for me. I jack my rear at the axel, and the front at the crossbars. when I put it all up, I place wooden blocks under rear axel and the two jack stands under front crossbar. I put it all up when I have stationary plans over 3 weeks. why? I feel it does the tires well. I have no supporting evidence that this does any good, other than in my experience from long ago, tires develop flat spots and fatigue from sitting with large weight for extended periods of time. ya, I know todays technology and yadda yadda, but I still feel happier when its up, and it gives me practice getting it up. 30 minutes and I am all smiles (Wink Wink).

Wow! I admire your commitment to maintaining your unit.