Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.3
State: Texas
THOR #16640
This goes to an excellent thread with 3 videos explaining the compete process.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...dry-16594.html

Current Coach - 25.3 Vegas - TOGO RoadLink C2 -
Previous Coach - American Tradition 42P
Dsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #22

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
For Vegas/Axis owners who want to copy the suggested install process, note that the original AIMs 1200 watt inverter with auto-transfer switch is no longer available on Amazon at the $180 price.
So now you may need to spend upwards of $400 for a similar unit with matching remote.
Just make sure that whatever inverter you purchase...it comes with the auto-transfer switch.

Here’s an example of one:

https://smile.amazon.com/AIMS-POWER-.../dp/B074CL21FS
Old 01-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #23

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
there's been some comments about some of these inverters being wired 'directly' to a fridge, or to some circuits without a 'sub-panel', but the Inverter itself is a sub-panel, with it's own built-in breaker - which is no different than a sub-panel.

some factories wire certain models that need fewer outlets powered via the 'direct' wiring from the inverter, or even have a fridge plugged in directly to the Inverter's provided outlet.
some factories wire certain other models via a separate sub-panel since the 'whole coach' will be powered by the Inverter(all of the outlets), but these 'sub-panels' are not always obvious, as in my case.
My Palazzo has a special Main Panel which has an 'integrated' sub-panel, which you would not readily know just looking at it, as it looks like any other 'normal' RV main panel. The difference is there are THREE power bus bars for this 50amp 240v supply - one for the 'left' hot leg, and one for the 'right' hot leg of the two 120v power wires. It ALSO has a third power buss which provides power from the Inverter to two 'tandem' 15amp (4)circuit breakers, which serves all the outlets.

How does the third power buss receive it's power? From the Inverter - from a 'reverse' wired 30amp breaker, which connects to that third buss bar, providing power to the connected 15amp tandem circuit breakers.
It seems backwards, especially since a breaker normally provides an 'output' of power, but a breaker really is simply a 'switch', to turn power thru-put ON or OFF, regardless of direction, which also exactly how the Main Breakers are wired. With the Inverter's output wire coming into the 30amp breaker from the bottom, the breaker then provides the connection to that third buss bar.

While there is no noticeable separate 'sub-panel', as you might normally expect, it IS there... and works very well, takes up less space, and is a single 'box' Main Panel that is more quickly installed at the factory, just for this 'inverter' purpose, and designed and sold by Progressive Dynamics.

: )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #24

Model: outlaw 37rb
THOR #5223
Here is a quick fix that I did.
2 110 lines come up under bench seat, next to the refrigerator. 1 for the refrig, on inverter and one for the outlets under cabinets, above the dinette, I wired both the outlets and the refrig to the inverter powered line. This gave us two outlets for charging phones or computer time. All on the inverter
Then, having and extra 110 line, I added an outlet down by our feet. This outlet is good for a small heater to warm our feet in the morning.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #25

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustin View Post
Here is a quick fix that I did.
2 110 lines come up under bench seat, next to the refrigerator. 1 for the refrig, on inverter and one for the outlets under cabinets, above the dinette, I wired both the outlets and the refrig to the inverter powered line. This gave us two outlets for charging phones or computer time. All on the inverter
Then, having and extra 110 line, I added an outlet down by our feet. This outlet is good for a small heater to warm our feet in the morning.
Hope this helps.
Nicely done! 👍🏼 👍🏼 👍🏼
Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #26

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
maybe I misread or misunderstood your response, but what do you mean by "Here is a quick fix that I did. 2 110 lines come up under bench seat..."?

are these extension cords coming into the RV from a different power source?
are they '120v romex wiring' that you are bringing in from the RV's inverter?
are they coming in from the RV's Main Panel?

is the one for the 'heater for your feet' from the Inverter?

confused
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:06 PM   #27

Model: outlaw 37rb
THOR #5223
To clarify my quick fix:
There are 2 - 120v AC romex into a metal box.
One comes from the main breaker via the inverter.
The other comes directly from the main breaker box
Old 01-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #28

State: Colorado
THOR #6286
Adding All Outlets To Inverter

Hey lmichel,

I don't have the same unit but I don't see why this wouldn't work. I simply ran a short extension cord. I made my own heavy duty so I can plug it into my inverter. This is all internal and the cord is always ready to plug or unplug as needed and not visible or an eyesore. The other end runs to the shore power cord compartment. This way I can just plug into my inverter so my fridge and outlets all work while I'm on the road or dry camping. There's no chance of being on internal power and shore power because there's only one plug. The shore power plug is either plugged into the inverter, shore power, or not at all. The generator transfer switch protects the inverter the same as if it was shore power. The breaker panel works as normal since everything goes through it. I keep the convertor in the breaker panel off because I usually charge from solar. Having it on when charging from solar creates an undesirable loop. The other thing I turn off is the electric water heater breaker. Everything else is unit specific which depends on the size of your inverter, microwave, etc. Still, the inverter has safeties and everything goes through the breaker panel anyway. I am getting ready to automate the convertor so whenever it detects the inverter being used as shore power then it shuts off. The latter is just for kicks because honestly most of the time the solar charges my batteries so the convertor breaker is off unless I specifically have a need to charge from it. Hope that makes sense. I recommend searching for Tito on youtube. He gives great video instruction and coverage of how he did it. Hope this adds value. Cheers, 009 -