Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2023, 07:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Trickle charge the chassis battery

My solar system keeps the house batteries nicely charged, but has anyone set up a solar system to keep the chassis battery charged?
I run the genny and drive our FW 28A once a month, but for the chassis battery, it doesn't seem enough.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:56 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Do you have a Precision Circuits BIM 160 in your coach. If so it is supposed to connect the coach and chassis batteries together to charge one if the voltage on the other is 13.5+V.

If you have the BIM 160 then it is probably wired backwards as Thor is won’t to do. Wire it right and it should keep your chassis battery charged.

See the attached spec sheet and wire it like the diagram at the bottom.

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Precision Circuits BIM 160-Rev7-1.pdf (711.5 KB, 155 views)
Old 01-10-2023, 08:51 PM   #3

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Do you have a Precision Circuits BIM 160 in your coach. If so it is supposed to connect the coach and chassis batteries together to charge one if the voltage on the other is 13.5+V.

If you have the BIM 160 then it is probably wired backwards as Thor is won’t to do. Wire it right and it should keep your chassis battery charged.

David
This diagram does not show where the charging connection(s) is/are supposed to be.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:10 PM   #4

THOR #21941
Quote:

David
I assume I do have the BIM 160. I'll be able to check after what appears to be rain (in So. California) has stopped.

After looking at the Solar PDF from THOR, it looks like the solar system should be charging the chassis battery through the BIM.

After two years, I'm just now having voltage issues with my chassis battery.

Thanks for your help!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
Old 01-10-2023, 10:19 PM   #5

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
This diagram does not show where the charging connection(s) is/are supposed to be.
Hmmm! The diagram at the bottom is pictorial. It shows the chassis + connected to the lower left terminal. The coach + is connected to the lower right.

Thor often reverses these, leading to the problems you are experiencing.

David
Old 01-10-2023, 10:22 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
My solar system keeps the house batteries nicely charged, but has anyone set up a solar system to keep the chassis battery charged?
I run the genny and drive our FW 28A once a month, but for the chassis battery, it doesn't seem enough.

There is a simple little device (just 3 wires) to connect the two batteries so that the solar will keep both the chassis and house batteries called a Trik-L-Start. Works great.
Old 01-10-2023, 10:32 PM   #7

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
There is a simple little device (just 3 wires) to connect the two batteries so that the solar will keep both the chassis and house batteries called a Trik-L-Start. Works great.
If the BIM is doing its job, that shouldn't be necessary.

Wayne

Old 01-10-2023, 11:46 PM   #8

THOR #28145
One thing no-one has pointed out is that the Battery disconnect must be "ON" in order to charge the coach batteries. I think this may be a catch 22 issue. If the coach batteries are too low will there be enough power to operate the switching relay? So, what is the procedure to boot strap charging if there is not enough power to trip the master battery relay?

Old 01-10-2023, 11:51 PM   #9

THOR #21941
Quote:
One thing no-one has pointed out is that the Battery disconnect must be "ON" in order to charge the coach batteries. I think this may be a catch 22 issue. If the coach batteries are too low will there be enough power to operate the switching relay? So, what is the procedure to boot strap charging if there is not enough power to trip the master battery relay?
That is not true for solar. Solar will charge the house batteries and, supposedly the chassis battery through the BIM, with the Battery Disconnect in the OFF position.

Old 01-11-2023, 12:12 AM   #10

THOR #28145
Quote:
That is not true for solar. Solar will charge the house batteries and, supposedly the chassis battery through the BIM, with the Battery Disconnect in the OFF position.
The statement on page 15 of the TMC Electrical system guide states

" The Master Battery Disconnect Switch must be ON in order to charge the Batteries by any on-bord method described in the following sections."

Solar battery charging IS one of the following sections. I would post the doc but I suspect that would not be allowed for copy right issues.

Old 01-11-2023, 12:26 AM   #11

THOR #21941
Quote:
The statement on page 15 of the TMC Electrical system guide states

" The Master Battery Disconnect Switch must be ON in order to charge the Batteries by any on-bord method described in the following sections."

Solar battery charging IS one of the following sections. I would post the doc but I suspect that would not be allowed for copy right issues.
In my 2021 FW 28A, with the Main Battery Disconnect set to the off position, my solar system charges my house battery.

On page 6 of the "TMC QSG, Solar Panels and Charge Controller" PDF, it shows the charge controller on the house battery side of the Main Battery Disconnect switch.

Old 01-11-2023, 01:54 AM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Here's the $20 question, is the coach battery any good? Did I read on one the posts the coach battery is two years old. Which would mean if it is the OEM battery it is at least three years old or older.
My coach is a 2018. Mid-summer 2020 the battery Thor installed took a dump. It wouldn't hold a charge. After a load test it was determined to have a bum cell.
I would be surprised if Thor is installing a coach battery with more than a 36-month warranty.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 02:42 AM   #13

THOR #28145
Quote:
In my 2021 FW 28A, with the Main Battery Disconnect set to the off position, my solar system charges my house battery.

On page 6 of the "TMC QSG, Solar Panels and Charge Controller" PDF, it shows the charge controller on the house battery side of the Main Battery Disconnect switch.
The TMC Electrical system guide also states that it does not account for factory or local mods. So how your unit is wired is not necessarily the way all units are wired. I also suspect that you would charge the coach batteries from solar you might need to have the battery disconnect on to also charge the Chassie battery.

Old 01-11-2023, 04:49 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Here's the $20 question, is the coach battery any good? Did I read on one the posts the coach battery is two years old. Which would mean if it is the OEM battery it is at least three years old or older.
My coach is a 2018. Mid-summer 2020 the battery Thor installed took a dump. It wouldn't hold a charge. After a load test it was determined to have a bum cell.
I would be surprised if Thor is installing a coach battery with more than a 36-month warranty.
This is what I was thinking. OEM factory batteries frequently fail after 3 or 4 years.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 01:08 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
The TMC Electrical system guide also states that it does not account for factory or local mods. So how your unit is wired is not necessarily the way all units are wired. I also suspect that you would charge the coach batteries from solar you might need to have the battery disconnect on to also charge the Chassie battery.
No. The chassis/house battery interconnection does not go through the house battery bank disconnect.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:53 PM   #16

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
This is a very good point. I'm almost excited to have my OEM batteries fail so that I can upgrade!

Old 01-11-2023, 04:29 PM   #17

THOR #20289
Not sure that failing coach batteries would affect charging of your chassis batteries. Maybe if the plates became shorted the coach batteries would draw all of the available charging current so their voltage would ne ver get high enough to trigger the connection to the chassis batteries.

BTW, did you ever determine if you have a BIM 160?

David
Old 01-11-2023, 05:30 PM   #18

THOR #21941
Where's the BIM?

Now where to find the BIM. I've looked in the battery compartment and in a void under the refrigerator where a lot of wires come in. I've also looked in the engine compartment, under the driver's seat and under the dash on the driver's side.

Also to note, I ran a meter across the wires for the Emergency Switch and got 0 readings.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Wayne

Old 01-11-2023, 06:11 PM   #19

THOR #21941
Quote:
Not sure that failing coach batteries would affect charging of your chassis batteries. Maybe if the plates became shorted the coach batteries would draw all of the available charging current so their voltage would ne ver get high enough to trigger the connection to the chassis batteries.

BTW, did you ever determine if you have a BIM 160?

David
Still searching for it (see previous post)

Old 01-12-2023, 12:01 AM   #20

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Try looking on the firewall on the driver's side. Mine was hidden behind a plastic reservoir (I think washer fluid). I had to practically stand on my head to see it... and I'm over 6' tall. It's buried down behind it. Maybe same on yours?