Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #3331
Install heatpad on gray/black tanks?

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out how to install heatpads on my gray and black water thank.
I have a 2013 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24SA. Great little Motorhome and we're going to take it from San Francisco to Oklahoma for the holidays. We will most certainly hit temperature under 32F so we need to install those heat pads. The most annoying part is that was supposed to be installed by the dealer, but they went bankrupt before we could pursue.

Anyway, anybody got experience installing these things? Any tips?
Looking at the fuse box, it seems I have a fuse for that already installed. Not clear where the wiring goes under, but if anybody knows, let me know!

Old 12-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I don't know that unit specifically, but I can comment generally.

The heat pads put on at the factory couldn't be simpler. Don't over think it.

They are simply glued onto the bottom surface of each tank, roughly in the center or so of the tank
and the wiring to them is just strung sloppily under the coach. I'm sure the pad manufacturer would either provide or recommend the correct adhesive to use. For what its worth, one of mine was partially loose when i bout it. the dealer reattached with something that failed in short order. I used something I had on hand.... contact cement I think it was... and the last time i looked it was holding

Mine are made by therma heat
Old 12-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
....CUT I'm sure the pad manufacturer would either provide or recommend the correct adhesive to use. For what its worth, one of mine was partially loose when i bout it. the dealer reattached with something that failed in short order. I used something I had on hand.... CUT
Our 2016 Chateau 31L also has one hanging down. Taking it in to the dealer next week for some minor warranty work and that is on the list. During a Thor tour I asked what they use and was told that the pad comes with self adhesive but they also spray it with contact cement. I can't remember what the stuff was called now but since it didn't hold on mine I'm hoping the dealer uses something better.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:45 AM   #4

THOR #3331
Smile

Thanks for the info guys! Since no dealers are available to do this work and EV2 experience seemed to be good, I'm going to try to attempt this myself.
Will try to take pictures and report on the results!
Old 12-04-2015, 01:46 AM   #5

THOR #3331
Did you order 1 heatpad for both gray and black tanks or 2 heatpads, one for each tanks?

Also, what's the advantage of using 110? if you are plugged in or using the generator, the 12V should work too, no?
Old 12-04-2015, 04:00 AM   #6

THOR #3331
I just order the heatpads! they are coming in next week which means I'll only have a day to install this. Hopefully it will be possible.

I'm also curious if you needed to install heatpads for the pipes? I'm not planning to spend time in -20 deg temp, but when driving those pipes might be exposed to lower temperature...
Old 12-04-2015, 06:17 AM   #7

THOR #3331
I wish there was a way to automatically switch the heatpad power input from 110V (when the RV is connected shoreline power) to 12V (when it's not connected to shoreline power).
That way I would not have to worry about both 12V and 110V powering the heatpad and potentially damaging it...

Right now, it seems like a human would have to make sure the switches are never on at the same time (12V and 110V) when there is shoreline power available. Maybe I could have a switch that chooses the input and one that turns the power on (in series)...

Tags
heatpad, siesta