Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
Installation of brake controller

Has anybody here ever installed a brake controller in a Hurricane that was build between 2000 and 2003?

I bought a Roadmaster tow dolly with electric brakes, and have now to install a brake controller into my Hurricane. Any help and advise with this task is very welcome!

Old 02-09-2018, 01:45 AM   #2

Model: ACE 30.1
State: New York
THOR #10579
So I noticed that nobody has replied to you yet. I have not installed a brake controller in a Hurricane. I have installed brake controllers in several other vehicles. Most vehicles have a connector up under the dash near the steering column. There also should have been a matching pigtail connector that came with the motorhome, it is usually included inside a plastic bag in the documentation pouch. You will use this pigtail connector to wire in the controller.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:54 AM   #3

THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnschnit View Post
So I noticed that nobody has replied to you yet. I have not installed a brake controller in a Hurricane. I have installed brake controllers in several other vehicles. Most vehicles have a connector up under the dash near the steering column. There also should have been a matching pigtail connector that came with the motorhome, it is usually included inside a plastic bag in the documentation pouch. You will use this pigtail connector to wire in the controller.
I bought this motorhome in 2004 used, and I have not seen (or cannot remember that I did) any pigtail. But I think one can buy those pigtails from Etrailer, etc.
My thing is to find the connector (if there is one). It seems that newer motorhomes can have the top of the dash removed, this is not possible in mine, I have to crawl underneath it, winding around the seat. I also wonder how much wiring underneath the motorhome is done to get the wires to the back.
That is the reason that I hoped somebody here would have done it already.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #4

THOR #10579
Do you have a round connector for the trailer lights at the rear of the coach by the hitch? If you do the chances are pretty good that you have been wired up. What chassis is your coach on? The connector under the dash is part of the chassis, so if your on the Ford F53 chassis it is usually tied up close to the steering column. Unfortunately I can't help much more than that.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #5

THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnschnit View Post
Do you have a round connector for the trailer lights at the rear of the coach by the hitch? If you do the chances are pretty good that you have been wired up. What chassis is your coach on? The connector under the dash is part of the chassis, so if your on the Ford F53 chassis it is usually tied up close to the steering column. Unfortunately I can't help much more than that.
Thanks, I have a the Ford F53, and I have to crawl under the dash to find the connector (getting under there is not that difficult, but when you are 74, it is difficult to get out and up again!).
I have only a flat 4 pin connector in the back, which would mean that I have to pull at least one more wire to there, because the dolly has a round 7 blade flat connector.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:58 AM   #6

THOR #10579
So I did a google search on 2001 F53 wiring diagram and came up with several hits. This is a link to an append in the IRV2 forum where he says that the blue wire for the brake controller was tied up on the left chassis rail at the rear of the gas tank.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/2001-...ng-256577.html
I know the feeling about not being able to get up. 64 with two two shoulder surgeries. Sucks getting old.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:11 AM   #7

State: California
THOR #15071
I appreciate your description of the brake controller pigtail in your motor home. I have a 2011 Hurricane. Even though there is a removable panel on top of the left side of the dash and “crawl space” to see under the dash, I have been unable to find the brake controller pigtail plug after 2 hours of searching. All the experts (etrailer, Ford, Thor, etc.) each give conflicting answers as to the plug location. The most common answer has been “it is extremely difficult to find”. That is no help at all. This has become very frustration. Has anyone found the plug location on a 2011 Hurricane?
Old 03-30-2020, 11:11 PM   #8

THOR #10020
When I found mine after a lot of blue words.It was almost above and a little to the left of steering column.It was taped to the main harness. And close to plywood support. It is not easy to find or in tape. I used a razor hook knife. What in hell they we're thinking during manufacture..Good luck
Old 03-30-2020, 11:24 PM   #9

THOR #10020
Look behind dash board cluster. Remove screws that hold it on dash.pull it forward look around dash support and heater hoses. Again good luck.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Georgia
THOR #16633
2011 hurricane brake controller

Has anyone installed a controller in a 2011. Just purchased my dolly ready to expand the adventures
Old 10-11-2020, 03:08 AM   #11

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
If you have an F-53 chassis, there will be the controller connector under the dash, above the column. If you have a removable panel above the dash, take it off, it will make things easier. Take your time and look. It's easy to overlook
Old 10-11-2020, 03:23 AM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
There is no longer a need to go through this wiring process.
There is now a wireless Bluetooth controller which plugs into your 7 pin connector and you're done.
It's a three minute chore, and you're done.

Look up
Wireless trailer controller.
Cw carries them.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:01 AM   #13

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
There is no longer a need to go through this wiring process.
There is now a wireless Bluetooth controller which plugs into your 7 pin connector and you're done.
It's a three minute chore, and you're done.

Look up
Wireless trailer controller.
Cw carries them.
Curt Echo Wireless Bluetooth brake controller. Zero installation and portable to my pickup truck too!
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote