Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2018, 01:18 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #12326
from sip's pics, they are behind the front and behind the rear on the vegas

Old 08-15-2018, 02:53 AM   #22

THOR #12326
ups came today. looks like I will start my fun this weekend
Old 08-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #23

THOR #12326
So just finished up last night. drove her around today to make sure everything is good and tight. So far so good. I pretty much installed per the manual except for the location of the pump assembly. I boondock camp most of the time and with the vegas being so low I wanted to access the pump without having to go under. I will be making a access door inside the storage compartment for the pump. I went with right behind the steps because I think that is the most protective place to install it.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #24

THOR #12326
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...bfeMJfl-B4gP6s

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...BS_dyBTZD_7F45
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...xQhEsld-b4PaLD

still working on posting pics sorry
Old 08-20-2018, 11:52 PM   #25
sip

THOR #5882
Sorry missed the questions .. glad you got it installed!

I haven't had any problems with using the house battery ... I keep the engine running when running the leveling pump but even if you run it straight off the battery, it's not that big a deal because it's only a few seconds on each side when the load really kicks in ... sort of like running a winch.

Now to give my almost 2 year update! I have had 0 issues ... LOVE the setup. What I used to dread with setup and teardown and leveling now just takes a few seconds. Also I have had the wheels off the ground on several occasions and everything has held up great. I'll try to post a few pics of it in action since I've put a lot of use on these jacks!

Which reminds me I should dig up and post a few pics of my other installs with the spare tire carrier, inverter, and dish antenna It's a never ending project fest with these things hehe.

Edit: One thing that is probably worth stressing about any high-current battery wiring, it's better to keep your high-current DC wires as short and thick (low gauge) as possible.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:07 AM   #26
sip

THOR #5882
To get it off the ground I have to use plastic steps. Here I had to lift the front off the ground to get it leveled in our recent trip to Shaver Lake:

And here is at my wife's parent's house over last Xmas ... had to lift the side to get it to level on their hill-side driveway:

Old 08-21-2018, 03:33 AM   #27

THOR #12326
nice. so did u leave the yellow wire off the acc terminal to be able to leave engine on? None of my tires come off the ground so I will keep blocks in the storage. I did do a lot of re tying wires up because the job they did was pretty weak. I still need to reroute the battery cables they installed, totally as if my 10 yr old daughter did it. I noticed a bit of rust under there on the coach not chassis so im going to have them look at that. cant wait to use the jacks in a real situation. IDK who is right or wrong but from your pics I put the jacks u have in rear on my front.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #28

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I think this mod might have moved up to the top of my list now! Darn it! LOL. I see stuff all the time that I "think" I need.

Its a PITA to mess with the blocks sometimes.....esp when your 5 or 6 inches lower on one side but you need blocks under 3 sides and spend 45 minutes adjusting them. Plus one time I shot out blocks from the rear wheels trying to ride up on them (Now I always use the brake petal at the same time now to prevent this - works like a charm).

Vegas Baby, can you post your pictures directly on this site. When I go to the Google site it wants me to sign in and I dont remember my password.

Thanks.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #29
sip

THOR #5882
Good question about the ign wire ... I definitely did not connect it to an ignition source ... but I can't remember if I left it disconnected or if I grounded it. I understand the safety concerns but seemed silly not to be able to run the system with the engine/alternator running

My plan has always been to get a latching relay to completely cut all power from the jack pump system when not in use ... I like doing that because that basically eliminates any parasitic loss that can drain a battery over time. But since it's already been a couple years and I haven't done it, obviously it's been very low on my list of project priorities

This is what I would get: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072N8NYN2

(I already have one on my inverter circuit and works very similar to what disconnects the house batteries with the factory setup).
Old 08-23-2018, 05:10 AM   #30

THOR #12326
this picture thing is killing me lol

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/mem...albums145.html
Old 08-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #31
sip

THOR #5882
Haha ... I see them! Panel and pump mount both look top notch! I definitely like how easy you made it to get to the pump.

If you have pics on google photos (I think I saw a link before that didn't work), you can just get a shareable link or put them in an album and share publicly since presumably you want them on this public forum
Old 08-23-2018, 09:22 PM   #32

THOR #12231
Thanks Vegas Baby.... Not sure what the "tire alinement" picture is of. But I like the idea of installing the controller on the dash. Did you "defeat" safety swich so you can keep your engine on to help with power to the pumps? Do you ahave an alarm that comes on with jacks down if you try and start the RV? Where did you route the wires to the inside of the RV? Drill a hole in floor or use existing access panel? Thanks. I might have to push this mod to the top of my short list.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 08-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #33

THOR #12231
VegasBaby - Love to see more pics of the jacks mounted to the frame in up postion and down position. And also a wide view of entire RV with all jacks down to level RV.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #34

THOR #12231
Sip and Vegas Baby.... looks like you both have the same ride (24.1) are your units based on the E350 or E450 chase (I know some of the older 24.1 were E350 but not all?).

The reason I ask is my 17 Axis 25.4 is based on the E450 and I just looked at Big Foots website and they say to measure for clearance first because some might need the shorter jacks from the E350 kit?

Do you know how long your jacks are in the front (overall length) and how much room do you have around them (was it a tight fit)??

Thanks in advance. Im very interested in this mod. The they are on Sale right now.

I hate to order the wong kit.

I might have to do some measuring this weekend and just call them before I order the wong kit. I have a feeling we dont have much room on the Axis/Vegas RV's in the front so perhaps they need to be the E350 no matter which chassy you have.

Also please post more pics - diffent angles?

Im assuming the Jacks do NOT hang down lower than other components under the RV?? More picks of raised positions front and back please.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #35

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Two suggestions..(NICE install BTW !)
Double nut those mounting bolts thru the frame..
DO NOT camp with even one rear wheel off the ground!
When parked.. your parking brake is only on the rear axle......rollin..rollin...rollin....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #36

THOR #12231
Good advice. Even if you chock both front tires? Some sites I have used 5 or 6 blocks under one rear tire.... If I had this lift I bet it would be off the ground.

Perhaps you can raise up extra high, then put some blocks under the tire that are off the ground (or almost off the round) then lower until level..... that way the parking brakes are still holding some since you will have weigth on the blocks? Or is that too dangerous?

Im only thinking about one or two blocks under one tire along with Bigfoot Jack not 5 or 6 block.

Im still trying to wrap my mind around this mod. Love to do it but not sure if I really "Need it" or just "want it". It would be a real time saver.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #37

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this mod. Love to do it but not sure if I really "Need it" or just "want it". It would be a real time saver.
Well.... Consider this....You get to the campsite...You discover that it is a more dirt than gravel space. and it isn't level, so you grab the "leggo's" & on your knees you go....only to discover..goat's head thorns.....been there...dun that...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #38

THOR #12231
Oh yeah, I know its would be nice to have the levelers. The old knees are not what they use to be plus DW not real good at telling me how much further to back up to get on the top of the blocks etc. Takes me twice as long since I have to put in park + E brake, jump out, look at or adjust block, jump back and to it all over again. PITA.

I was going to use this excuse ("Need levelers honey") 5 - 7 years from now to get a larger coach. LOL.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:29 PM   #39

THOR #12326
Before I start to raise I have the wife throw the anchor out the window. So im on the 450 chassis. there is plenty of room for the jacks, at least 2" above all 4. my rear jacks are about even with the gas tank. May be less than a 1" below but still above the axle. I have a steep angle out of my driveway to the street and nothing hits. My DP would hit the rear. Running wires up through the firewall I used the same existing hole that the stock main wire feed uses it is plenty big. I do have the safety wire hooked up so you cant have key in on to lower or raise and I might take it off or see if I can route it to the parking brake instead. I would rather have engine on while leveling.you WILL need a stubby drill bit and a angle drill. I used my 12v Milwaukee drill and worked fine for all holes. since for the life of me I cant figure out how to post individual pics here is a album link. I have even watched 5 youtube vids and cant do it. let me know if it wont let you view.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qFFJc9RYHL2hj16s5
Old 08-25-2018, 01:35 AM   #40

THOR #12231
Ok, thats good to know. Thanks for the info

Your entire kit was bolt on right? Bolt on to or around the frame drill holes for the central pump and other stuff like controller on the dash?

Where did you have to use the angle drill at?

How long did it take you to compete the entire job?

I know im asking a lot of question but I'm tring to wrap my mind around the entire project so I know what else I might need and how much time to set aside for it.