Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2016, 03:49 AM   #1
sip

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #5882
Installed BigFoot rv jacks on 2016 24.1 Vegas

Been a lurker on this forum for more than a year .. you bastards (j/k) got me to spend a lot of money on the rv and upgrades with all the great ideas and write-ups so I figured I'd return the favor

I knew I would likely install my own hydraulic jacks even before buying the Vegas (2016 24.1 e450 chassis). But I waited for about 6 months and a few trips to make sure that's the kind of big project I wanted to get myself into. I really liked the BigFoot kits. I went with the basic platinum setup with no wireless or self leveling doodads. Just a nice plain panel with buttons that let me extend and retract the jacks.

They recommend welding on the brackets. I neither have the skills nor the equipment to do that. I do however know how to drill holes and turn a wrench so bolting them on seemed like the way to go. It took a couple of months working at a relaxed pace over several weekends to do it all. But I am happy with how it turned out. I don't know yet if all the bugs are worked out and how performs ... that I'll know after a few more trips and use. But I did bleed the system today and ran the jacks and everything seemed to work as expected. I am happy!

I am posting a few teaser pics here. I took a bunch of pics along the way for my own reference which I just tossed in a Google album

Link to Google album with a lot more pictures from the installation process and comments on each pic.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
WOW.... looks like a nice job.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I second that, WOW, nice job!!!
Old 11-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Indeed...Wow!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #5

Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
State: Florida
THOR #1907
Thanks for the write-up. I have been researching levelers for some time now. Your experience and install are valuable information.
I will be following your progress and experience with the BigFoot system.
Thanks again for sharing.
How does the system know level?
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Wow that looks great and that's Mr. Bastards to us older guys (j/k).
Old 11-08-2016, 01:08 AM   #7
sip

THOR #5882
Lol yes where's my manners. I meant Mr. Bastards with the highest levels of respect

JRS950, yah I had a lot of problems finding specific info and pictures although there are some nice overall reviews around on youtube and some technical how to's by BigFoot that really help. The sytem I got does not know about being level. I've got one of those 4-legged Camco EZ levelers (electronic) and also a bubble level. There's a fancier auto-leveling system but it was significantly more expensive and I figured I'd probably always double check and fine tune myself anyway The other reason I got these jacks were to help with changing flat tires. I still carry a couple of scissor jacks but I would use them more as extra stabalizers if I ever take a tire off.

One test I haven't done yet is to try to lift a corner of the rv off the ground. I need to put a few blocks under the jack to achieve this I think but not sure yet.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:39 AM   #8

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Wow that looks great and that's Mr. Bastards to us older guys (j/k).
Yea get the sht straight... LOL...
Old 11-08-2016, 01:43 AM   #9

Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
State: Florida
THOR #1907
Thanks for the info. Yes there is significant information on the systems out there. As of now, the BigFoot is the most promising. They have a factory store and installation facility not too far away. Not gonna do the install myself, just don't bend that way anymore.
Again, great job on the installation.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:00 AM   #10
sip

THOR #5882
Sure and thanks! Yah whatever price they charge for installation is going to be worth it. I loved doing it myself since I learned so much about the RV .. looking at the chasis, working out what where and how to run wires .. digging behind the kitchen cabinets and drawers, and tracing battery wires. But yah there is not that much room under these e450s, especially if you have to crawl around on gravel like I did Glad I allowed myself plenty plenty of time.

I'd be curious to see how they weld the front brackets. The rear has a lot of room for inside the frame mouting but on the front, thor doesn't leave much gap between the frame and the storage boxes. Maybe it can be done with trimming the front brackets to set closer to the frame. I didn't consider that option.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:05 AM   #11
sip

THOR #5882
Oh yah the other thing I did to preserve my sanity was to cut the big wire harness they give into two pieces. I ran the part from the inside panel down and the part from the pump in and spliced together.

There are also some extra wires that go to the switch on each jack (detects if it's retracted all the way) and I did those separately too.

At some point I was trying to do the harness and wiring in one shot and that would have been really hard.

I also wish I had a hydraulic fitting press and that I could press my own hoses ... that would have taken a lot of planning and guess work out of what to put where and how to route hoses to make it all reach and not look like a complete rats nest.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:32 PM   #12

Model: 2018 Vegas 24.1
State: Oregon
THOR #10875
Bigfoot

Sip,
Evidently Bigfoot saw your bolt on installation. i just ordered the Platinum series for a E-450 chassis and they asked me if i also wanted to order the bolt on package for an extra $150. They said they just started offering it, not on the website yet. they also said that it merry's up to the factory holes in the frame. so hopefully it does. it should save me about 2k on installation. i plan to self install.
thanks for the install pics, great job.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:52 PM   #13

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #12326
Just checking in on the progress. I am soon to get the bigfoot and self install.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:07 PM   #14

THOR #12326
don't know what platinum kit you bought without the auto leveler but on bigfoot's site they are on sale with auto level for $1,988.00. Is that a deal?
Old 08-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Big Foot System was installed by factory

I have to say the auto leveling system is a one button deal and works well every time. We do use a plastic block under the feet just to protect the ground, asphalt or whatever and helps to distribute the weight. The service techs are very helpful and easy to work with ( they even have someone on call 24/7 and will call you back even on a Holiday weekend promptly) impressive. Extremely happy with the system and service!
Old 08-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Very, very, very nice job. You done yourself proud for a job well done!
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #17

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
This is one option I wish they offered on my 2017 Axis. I might have to look into this. Messing with blocks get old esp when the campsite is not level and Im using 5 or 6 bocks under one side.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #18

THOR #12326
just ordered the kit today. One thing I've read and wanted to know Sip is, in the instructions it reads to have the power come from the chassis battery because it wants the full power from the alternator. It looks like you ran power from the house batteries. Have you had any probs with low power from the house batteries? thanks for the outstanding pics and writeup
Old 08-07-2018, 12:09 AM   #19

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
THOR #12270
just curious are the jacks behind the wheels? i know on my 31E (class C) the front is behind the front wheels about under the doors. the rear are behind the rear wheels.

my questionable sales person told me to have key on engine off so it connects chassis and house batterys and or have the genny running to level. aparently leveling takes alot of juice to lift a ~10 ton vehicle.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:26 AM   #20

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Been looking at this system real close for our RS26. Big Foot's factory is located about an hour north of me. Figured I'd pay em a visit in the spring.