Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2022, 06:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
Any recommendations on captain chairs for 29M

The chairs in my Hurricane 29M suck...they are uncomfortable, to high, I can't adjust them up or down, and I can't swivel the drivers seat 180-degrees without the back hitting the steering wheel...which boggles my mind that Thor didn't address this.

I have spent a lot of time searching the forum for information and ideas which has been helpful, but I hope to get more ideas and suggestions.

New seats are expensive as hell, so I'm surprised I didn't find many posts were people opted to get seats from a salvage yard (car/truck/rv). My Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax diesel seats are adjustable...up/down/tilt/lumbar support and even heated...but not really captain chairs for an RV.

In looking at RV salvage yards, there are some pretty nice seats that don't cost an arm and a leg...the concern is getting a pair only to find they don't fit.

I also didn't find much information on how people connected up power to the seats. I did read one where the person got the power from the B.I.R.D.

When it comes to the passenger side, it would be nice to find a seat that could recline, and they can put their feet up....perhaps even nap on the road.

I have made note of all the places people bought their seats and I plan to check the following out. If anyone has any other ideas, please share.
* Braddandhall
* Flexsteel
* Glastop
* Shop4seats
* Thomas Payne
* Recpro
* FactoryRVsurplus

Old 07-01-2022, 01:56 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Any car sest that is completely self contained electrically will fit. It is hard to find a seat thast has anything except four simple bolts holding it to the vehicle They are seldom on a flat platform but spacers are easily made.

Power is pulled directly from a battery with some sort of overload breaker installed.
One wire, one fuse.

GM 4way power seat mechanism from 1959ish through 1990ish or maybe higher, easily adapt to any seat. Really easily.

I've accomplished/assisted seat swaps too many times.

I'll suggest seats you've already owned in a vehicle or you're possibly buying seats you won't like any better than the ones you now dislike.

Power seats from my local pull-a-part are 65 bucks each whether from
1984 cavalier or a brand new Lexus.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:14 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
What year is your 29M?

Have you tried sliding the chair back and lifting the left arm rest to rotate 180 degrees?

I wish mine had footrest, including the Driver's. I also wish it had adjustable lumbar, mine is feels like someone has a gun to my back. With that said, my chair is where I prefer to eat and watch TV. I was expecting some issue with the leather, but chair is in good shape.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:34 PM   #5

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
What year is your 29M?

Have you tried sliding the chair back and lifting the left arm rest to rotate 180 degrees?

I wish mine had footrest, including the Driver's. I also wish it had adjustable lumbar, mine is feels like someone has a gun to my back. With that said, my chair is where I prefer to eat and watch TV. I was expecting some issue with the leather, but chair is in good shape.
Hi...yes, I have tried moving the chair forward/backwards, tilting the back forward/back, tilting the steering wheel up, moving the arm rest.

I'm seriously thinking of looking at some seats I can get out of a car/SUV or perhaps pulled from a RV. I can't see spending over 2,000 per chair.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:22 PM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
Hi...yes, I have tried moving the chair forward/backwards, tilting the back forward/back, tilting the steering wheel up, moving the arm rest.

I'm seriously thinking of looking at some seats I can get out of a car/SUV or perhaps pulled from a RV. I can't see spending over 2,000 per chair.
I am trying to visualize a car/suv with armrests on both sides? I guess, I was asking for year model of your chair and maybe even picture. Maybe all you need is a new pedestal / base that allows for you to slide it back as you turn and about halfway start to pull it forward.

Ironically, I eliminated the 29M because it was about 8" too long to fit in my RV Port. I have plenty of room to make full pivot in my 29ve, so I wonder where you have the extra 8"? It is slide being in that makes it tight for me, but with slide out, I could almost spin around in circles short seat belt etc.

Other option is to calculate an offset because you could consider moving the mount on the floor back 1" maybe 2" just enough to make it clear when you slide it back and then forward.

Good luck.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-01-2022, 09:33 PM   #7

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
The armrest comes off making it easier to turn the chair around

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:37 PM   #8

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
The armrest comes off making it easier to turn the chair around Jerry
I like having the arm rest and I think it's ridiculous to have to remove an arm rest to turn the seat around.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:46 PM   #9

THOR #13932
I forgot to say:
I put half inch spacers in the front mount bolts of my rv seats.
I went from going to buy the 30way Lincoln seats, to perfectly happy with the stock rv seats.

Four stacks of washers, 20 minutes, $1 fix.
Happy happy joy joy.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:48 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
The seat turns around easy in my 29M. My steps are tilt wheel up, slide seat back, lift left hand arm rest, lean seatback forward, rotate seat. Been doing it that way since day one. For the passenger seat, it is slide seat forward, lean seat forward, rotate seat.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:01 AM   #11

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
The seat turns around easy in my 29M. My steps are tilt wheel up, slide seat back, lift left hand arm rest, lean seatback forward, rotate seat. Been doing it that way since day one. For the passenger seat, it is slide seat forward, lean seat forward, rotate seat.
I have tried that...but no luck. Is yours a hurricane or windsport? Mine is a hurricane.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:23 AM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
I have tried that...but no luck. Is yours a hurricane or windsport? Mine is a hurricane.
Look at his profile to the left.

THOR #11781

What year is yours?

When I was looking Windsports & Hurricanes were physically the same except for a few cosmetics and front grille.

I think some are just trying to help before you invest a large amount of money. You are right that you should be able to spin 180. You may just be off 1"

Just for my sanity, if your slide is out, can you turn 180?
Old 07-02-2022, 01:26 AM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
I like having the arm rest and I think it's ridiculous to have to remove an arm rest to turn the seat around.
What car / suv seat did you see that has the arm rests?
Old 07-02-2022, 02:41 AM   #14

THOR #13932
Silverado/gm's have an armrest on the console side.
An armrest on the wall side of an rv is a junior high shop project.

To use the GM power seat controls on the passenger seat you just turn the controller (that is on a long cable,and can mount anywhere, upside down. Same with drivers side so it's on the console side instead of the wall side.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:07 AM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Silverado/gm's have an armrest on the console side.
An armrest on the wall side of an rv is a junior high shop project.

To use the GM power seat controls on the passenger seat you just turn the controller (that is on a long cable,and can mount anywhere, upside down. Same with drivers side so it's on the console side instead of the wall side.
ahh I said car / suv (see post #5 from OP)

I have never owned a truck and trying to think if I have ever rode in one? I know I have rode in the back bed of a pick up lots of times as a kid, but I am pretty sure all of those trucks had benches.

Nonetheless, it answers my question. I may drop by a Chevy Dealership just to see the inside of one.

I know I am in Texas and everyone has trucks, but I have always reasoned if I ever need a truck, I just go to U Haul. Some of the trucks I see are bigger than RVs.

Speaking of Junior High shop project, is it true that Thor put a swivel chair in a RV that cannot swivel 180 degrees? I got $50 bucks for you if I can find a 29M that I can't get it to turn around? Heck even the 27B Hurricanes / Windsports could swivel and they are almost 2 feet shorter with same chassis. I know for a fact that the 1st thing I have always done in any coach I liked was sit in the driver's chair, swivel, and look at the TV. It is why coaches that had TVs overhead, over doors, blocking a side window, in televator or in a angled hallway were immediately dismissed by us. So I am with OP, swiveling is a must, just surprised that it can't be done with existing chair. Worst case is set it back 1".
Old 07-02-2022, 03:27 AM   #16

THOR #13932
Escalade, Yukon, Tahoe, suburban, avalanche.
All of the sliverado family use same(ish)seats.

My 24.1 swivels but then your feet dangle off the floor.
I think on mine the seat goes fully FORWARD, then you swivel.
Tilt wheel up.
Tilt seat back fully FORWARD
Swivel seat.
Tight fit past the steering wheel.

Easy enough.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:57 AM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Escalade, Yukon, Tahoe, suburban, avalanche.
All of the sliverado family
Now we getting somewhere Escalade & Suburbans. I can step back for the OP, but I just didn't recall any of those SUVs with armrests for driver? I searched briefly and all I saw was center console for driver and passenger.

I am a Lincoln / Ford guy and I know the Navigator has arm rest for middle row seat, but I don't see how you get those to swivel unless special bracket to go on pedestal.

But again, my post earlier was to OP as I thought he had already had a specific car/suv chair in his mind to look for salvage? In my mind the chair he would buy to serve his needs would have to do all his current chair does, but just swivel 180 with no fuss?
Old 07-02-2022, 05:59 AM   #18

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Look at his profile to the left.

THOR #11781

What year is yours?

When I was looking Windsports & Hurricanes were physically the same except for a few cosmetics and front grille.

I think some are just trying to help before you invest a large amount of money. You are right that you should be able to spin 180. You may just be off 1"

Just for my sanity, if your slide is out, can you turn 180?
Mine is a 2016.
The only time I turn my seat around is when I have the slide-out out.

As someone mentioned, I could always move the pedestal back as it's not that far off. I'm just not sure it's worth my time as I'm not that thrilled with them as it is. My Jeep and my Silverado offer more control than the ones in the coach. One would think that Thor would put some quality when it comes to seats as most people aren't just commuting to work in their coach. It's important to have quality seats when traveling.

What boggles my mind, is that you can't even raise/lower the seat...what's up with that?? When you buy a Thor, do you have to stand against a ruler with a sign that says, "To ride this you must be this tall"

It's pretty much a given that things can be mounted differently depending on who was working that day...so this really doesn't surprise me. Somethings are just thrown together, and I cannot tell you how many screws and stuff I have found laying around. Or screws not attached to support members.

Case in point when it comes to quality...my better half was standing near the sink when I was extending the slide out, and I heard her yell...STOP!! I was standing right there at the door and we both heard something that didn't sound right.
I discovered that the sink hoses/drain got snagged on the framing of the cabinet under the sink and it was pushing the cabinet out and the countertop up. Lucky for me, as soon as I heard it, I stopped so no damage occurred. I ended up redoing the whole hose/drain/vent setup. I called Thor to alert them, and they said that they had reengineered it. If you have a 29M, I strongly advise that you take off the panel that hides the hoses, extend the slide-out, and watch everything move and make sure it doesn't snag on anything. It's really a poor design.

Getting back to seats...I may now have to go look at different SUVs/Trucks and see what kind of seats they have...and then perhaps hit some salvage yards, or like I said, contact some RV salvage yards, but I hear that seats are one of the first things people want.

Old 07-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Mine is a 2016.
The only time I turn my seat around is when I have the slide-out out.

As someone mentioned, I could always move the pedestal back as it's not that far off. I'm just not sure it's worth my time as I'm not that thrilled with them as it is. My Jeep and my Silverado offer more control than the ones in the coach. One would think that Thor would put some quality when it comes to seats as most people aren't just commuting to work in their coach. It's important to have quality seats when traveling.

What boggles my mind, is that you can't even raise/lower the seat...what's up with that?? When you buy a Thor, do you have to stand against a ruler with a sign that says, "To ride this you must be this tall"

It's pretty much a given that things can be mounted differently depending on who was working that day...so this really doesn't surprise me.

Getting back to seats...I may now have to go look at different SUVs/Trucks and see what kind of seats they have...and then perhaps hit some salvage yards, or like I said, contact some RV salvage yards, but I hear that seats are one of the first things people want.
I am a SOB, so I going to avoid your frustrating points because they are opinions which I can respect.

It was 2019 last I was in Hurricane/Windsport 29M and/or 27B

If my slide is out, it is easy spin. I frequently turn my driver chair around with slide in, because in a lot of cases we do not put the slide out. Generally we only need the slide out in the mornings or if we have 4 or more people in the coach.

I think I was the one to suggest to offset by 1"; but if your slide is open, I am really perplexed that you can't spin it around. If there other things about the chair so be it, I am not a Thor Chair Buyer or Chair Salesman. I am just fascinated with the fact that you are not able to spin your chair around. Since slide is opened, I questioned if when you have your chair at the far back position, that it really is as far back as it suppose to go? Maybe a defective chair?

Ironically the adjustment forward and backward is for height adjustments. Tall people set it as far back as possible, short people bring it forward as close as possible.

All of them, including my SOB will not spin around 180 if it is too close to steering wheel, I just slide back, lift the rotate lever, spin and then slide forward again to get closer to the TV.

If I had a complaint it would be to have both chairs recline with footrest.

From what you describe, I still can't see how any chair from a car/suv/truck will make your situation better? I would love to see pictures of what you do. But then again you have 6 year old coach and you just may want a new chair period for a lot of other reason and this no spin with ease is clearly a frustration I can understand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_202843.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	38469

Above is picture of my setup, if you look close the driver chair is pulled almost as forward as it can go. I drive fast and it is more comfortable to hold the petal to metal so to speak when you can't use cruise. I may take a picture of my chair spun around with slide in to show you what it looks like.

In the meantime, If you find a better chair other than from the companies you provided in the link; let me know. But I am pretty sure if I ever have to buy a chair out of pocket it will recline and have footrest.

Update: I went outside, spun chair around and took a few measurements. The outermost left edge of my pedestal is 20" from driver side wall and the front edge of the same pedestal is 6" from a perpendicular plane with the outer most lower edge of the steering wheel.

Name:	20220702_091513.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	38471

I should note this is my most common position to eat in RV and watch TV. Slide out is a bonus but not necessary. If that seat recline with footrest, I would be in business. My coach is 2019 so the leather and the quality of seat far exceeds my expectations, because to be honest, from what I had heard mostly on this site, I thought these chairs would have been shot within 2 years. We have 23,000 miles.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #20

THOR #13058
I will clarify that above when I said recline and footrest, it was not to say the chair does not recline today, it does. I was thinking more about like my Recliner at home that as you lift to recline, the footrest comes out. That might be kind of tricky proposition for a RV Driver's chair. They would have to have it wired so the footrest comes out when you passed some point to clearly not be driving.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220702_100017.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	38476