Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #1

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Installed Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer

WHEW! Finally got the bugger installed! I'd watched a couple of videos and figured, "I can do this"... On one, it shows the technician removing the two large nuts (1 1/8"!!) holding the leaf spring u-bolts - with a portable impact wrench - no problem.

Well, I don't have one of those, but I do have a 1/2" breaker bar and a 3 foot piece of pipe; so I was sure I could break them loose. UH-UH! No way! Those puppies' torque spec is 250 ft. lbs.! I'd even soaked them overnight with PB Blaster. Still no way. Thought about investing in a suitable portable impact wrench, but the ones that can ~supposedly~ handle a job like that are pretty pricey.

But I do have a very good portable compressor and an impact wrench that's rated at a max of 450 ft. lbs., so I loaded all that up in the Xterra and headed over to the storage facility once again. Fired up the generator and plugged the compressor in. Hammered away at it for quite a while and it finally started to move. With my 70-year-old self lying on my back, squeezed under the coach and jockeying the stabilizer into place, I finally got it all installed. Ran the nuts up with the impact wrench and let it hammer away at them until they wouldn't move any more, then just for good measure I went at them with the breaker bar and pipe - no movement. So hopefully they're on there tight enough. Will check them after driving a few miles and see how they are.

SHEESH - glad that one's over!

Mickey

Old 04-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
you are only half way there.
now you'll have to drive on a straight flat road and see how the vehicle tracks.
if it drifts left or right you have to loosen the bolts on the tie rod and move it very,very slightly on way or another.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #3

THOR #14508
Yep - neglected to mention that, but I saw the note in the instructions. But no problem, as it only involves the smaller u-bolts torqued to 30 ft. lbs. Will have to wait a week or so. At least the hard part's over!
Old 04-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
When I roadmaster on Vegas I drove it straight to edge of street. Stopped it edge before drop off. Wheels straight, I installed and it tracked fine. Do oil changes on ramps. It has worked fine. Original damper was loose, no real damping until moved quite a bit. The roadmaster is all I have done other than tire pressures. Was good investment. I check bolts every oil change.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #5

THOR #14508
Thanks, Muggs. I'll be checking them periodically, along with all the fasteners for the Jeep's baseplate, the hitch on the coach, and the towbar. I also had already done the cheap handling fix, and will check those bolts as well. Next thing I need to do is take it somewhere for an alignment. Could probably use a grease job, but I may tackle that one myself - NAH! On second thought, will get that one done with the alignment.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
THOR #2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
Thanks, Muggs. I'll be checking them periodically, along with all the fasteners for the Jeep's baseplate, the hitch on the coach, and the towbar. I also had already done the cheap handling fix, and will check those bolts as well. Next thing I need to do is take it somewhere for an alignment. Could probably use a grease job, but I may tackle that one myself - NAH! On second thought, will get that one done with the alignment.
Bone up on caster settings before your alignment. Too little +caster can contribute to wandering at highway speeds. Just saying....
Old 05-02-2020, 05:06 AM   #7

State: California
THOR #17713
I went to get the safe t plus steering stabilizer for my 2013 Thor Tuscany,and was told it's better to do the alignment first,if the coach wanders left or right before installation of the steering stabilizer.
Can anyone tell me how their coach handles after installation?
Old 05-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #8

THOR #14508
As mentioned above, I got the Roadmaster stabilizer installed a few days ago. Before installation, the coach didn't really wander much, other than "normal" wandering due to road conditions, wind, turbulence, etc. Drove ours to the campsite Thursday (about 15 miles on good four lane (not interstate) and though there was a little wind and no passing trucks, I did notice a big improvement in handling. And luckily, after installation, it appears to track almost dead center! Looks like I won't have to adjust the mounting point, at least not until after I take it in for an alignment. I'll know more when I get it out on an interstate.

Mickey
Old 05-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #9

Model: Aria 3901
State: Arizona
THOR #11568
Safe-T-Plus

I had mine installed last summer at Johnnie Walker RV in Vegas on my Aria 3901. It works great and reduced the stress of driving longer distances. I highly recommend it
Old 05-02-2020, 10:10 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Saf T Plus

I did mine two summers ago and the coach drove better. For me the kicker was the front sumo springs.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnj2 View Post
I went to get the safe t plus steering stabilizer for my 2013 Thor Tuscany,and was told it's better to do the alignment first,if the coach wanders left or right before installation of the steering stabilizer.
A good technician will want the stabilizer on the vehicle. He’ll know to loosen it first, align, then, tighten. Also before alignment make sure you have it loaded for travel with 1/2 tank of fresh water. Makes a difference.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnj2 View Post
The steering stabilizer doesn’t really affect handling. The cheap handling fix, front wheel balance and alignment are game changers. Steering stabilizer will help if you experience rapid deflation of a front tire.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
The steering stabilizer doesn’t really affect handling. The cheap handling fix, front wheel balance and alignment are game changers. Steering stabilizer will help if you experience rapid deflation of a front tire.

Respectfully disagree. Steering stabilizer helps reduce the effect of wind gusts, pot holes, dropping a wheel off the edge of the pavement (as when someone coming towards you crosses into your lane) and passing trucks. CHF, on the other hand makes the ride more comfortable by reducing roll and sway with not a lot of bearing on steering.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:48 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
I just installed the Roadmaster RSSA Reflex Stabilizer on our new 2019 Hurricane34j.
I used the front stabilizer jacks to lift the front up so I could use my jack stands and get under it.
You are right the large bolts were a bear to get off. I’m 72 and not as strong as I once was. But I did the same as you. Soaked the nuts and used a breaker bar to loosen the nuts. Used my hand held Ryobi 18v impact gun, it’s rated at 350 ft lbs of torque, and removed the bolts. The Ryobi got very hot from working so hard.
I was able to Re-torque the bolts with the use of a 4 foot extension to 250 ft lbs of torque. Other wise went on very easy. Works great.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote