Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #9048
Question Auto Gen Start for shore power only

Has anyone used Automation Shore Power Monitor? When I use shore power I wanted the Generator to auto-start to keep the Air going if power goes out. Web site is https://rvautomations.com/product/shorepower-monitor/
I purchased a Onan Energy Command 30 but it looks like a "bear" to install. I'm investigating If I can only hook up the Command 30 for shore power loss.
Any help is appreciated

Old 04-04-2020, 01:28 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
RV Automations auto gen start

So I purchased one to protect the furbabies from overheating in a power failure. I have a Tempstick, but this solves the power failure problem (unfortunately not a broken AC problem but we have 2 of those). Very basic concept--monitors one thing only, shore power. When shore power quits it turns on generator. When shore power restored it turns off generator. Wiring pretty straightforward--connect unit to genny, transfer switch, an on/off toggle, and 12V. I mounted the unit inside as the generator compartment has no place to mount the unit out of the elements. Works as promised.
Wish I had done this back when I first bought the rig.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bschue10 View Post
Has anyone used Automation Shore Power Monitor? When I use shore power I wanted the Generator to auto-start to keep the Air going if power goes out. Web site is https://rvautomations.com/product/shorepower-monitor/
I purchased a Onan Energy Command 30 but it looks like a "bear" to install. I'm investigating If I can only hook up the Command 30 for shore power loss.
Any help is appreciated
I installed EC-30 a few months back.

I did a half in half meaning I bought all of the parts and had a dealer install complex parts.

Mine can ( your too) can do what you are wanting but I didn't have mine wired that way. 1st it seem as if it was complex and not recommended by my dealer and they told me that most of their installs was not connected to shore power.

At the time, having my generator start in the event of loss of shore power was the last thing on my mind and not at all why I wanted AGS. In fact, I am pretty sure I do not wnat my AGS to auto start just because shore power is loss. I don't see that ever happening due to real lost but quite frequently with me unplugging power.

Regardless, the dealer could have done for a few hundred more bucks. They would have had to put a 110 receptacle in front of the transfer switch between the shore power source. I guess I could still do, but since my coach is brand new and was not built that way, and no need I will leave it as it is for now.

How I use mine....

There are only two things that I worry about and why I wanted the EC-30

1. If house or chassis battery voltage drops lower than 100%. I control the setting and it will kick on.
2. If the inside temperature gets too hot. I control the set temperature and the generator kicks on as well as both AC's
3. When AGS is on, it will automatically come back on before quiet time if batteries are not fully charged.
4. Onan extended my warranty to 3 years on EC-30, and assured that my existing 3 year warranty on 5500 was not impacted by the dealer install. They state that people that have and use the EC-30 typically get use out of their 5500 withy less service as it runs more.

I don't have furbabies, but I like if if I have guest in RV and need to leave they don't have to touch anything.

With all that said, if I am anywhere where I have shore power, I don't need AGS. I mean how long could it possibly be out? If it is out no big deal for me to start the generator manually. If I am some place that their power is unreliable, I don't want my coach connected to them anyway.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, generator