Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
2004 WindSport Rehab

I’m pretty disgusted with Microsoft OneDrive. Maybe it’s just an awkward program that hasn’t received the development attention that it needs, or maybe I’m just an idiot and can’t figure out how to use it correctly. Maybe a bit of both.

Anyhow, I set the permissions in OneDrive incorrectly so most of the pictures in my previous “2004 WindSport Rehab” thread are invisible to the public. As such, I’m going to start a new thread and hopefully this one will turn out better. Admin (Janet H) Per my PM, please delete the other thread! Thank you!

2/12/2019
My wife and I have never had an motor home before so we felt it best to buy an inexpensive one first. You know, just in case we don't like the hobby. So to get started, we bought this 2004 WindSport 35D with 45,550 miles. Mechanically, it's fine and the outside is pretty much OK. One of the storage doors has been damaged but still works. Decals are faded and the paint needs to be buffed out.

Day/night shades are crumpled in places and need to be replaced. Carpet is original so I'll replace it with laminate flooring. All the furniture is going, including captain and passenger chairs. All lighting to be replaced with LED.

For boondocking, I plan a solar charged 400-500 amp battery & inverter system that will run independent of the house batteries. When this system reaches a state of discharge, the house batteries (or generator) will take over until the batteries are again charged.

We bought this coach in Titusville, FL. and spent a few days getting acquainted with it on the 600 mile trip back home. There were no problems with the engine or transmission, so at this time, the only mechanical upgrades we plan are to install a Tire Monitor system of some kind, do the CHF to the suspension and add a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer.

Here are some pictures of when we bought it.

2/18/2019
It's been raining cats-n-dogs out here and I found and fixed a small roof leak. That behind me, I removed all the ceiling and air conditioning vents and they're in the barn waiting to be cleaned and painted.

Carpet is removed and I'm in the process of pulling staples. (man, there's a bunch of them!) Flooring starts against the outside of the slide and has to be cut accordingly so that the edge of the last piece breaks at the proper area where the slide meets the main coach area.

2/21/2019
When I bought this motor home, the roof wasn’t the only thing leaking, so was the kitchen faucet. So today was my day to change it. I looked under the sink and found a conglomeration of pex that went everywhere except where I would have expected it to go.

The PO had an icemaker in one of the outside storage areas and had supplied it with a connection under the sink. There was also a slew of other connections that didn’t appear to be going anywhere anymore. After a bit of frustrated investigation, I finally tore it all out and replaced everything. It looks and works great now!

Also replaced 25 old 12-volt lights with LED lighting. If you haven’t upgraded to LED’s yet, you’re really missing out. Wow, what a difference and I’m sure the draw on the house batteries is going to be greatly reduced.

The original incandescent tube lights use a ballast and the LED’s don’t, so each new LED comes with a wiring harness that bypasses the ballast. It only takes a few minutes to install the harness and your old fixtures are now ready to work with today’s LED’s.

Finally, I reinstalled all the vent covers on the ceiling as well as the air conditioning covers. They were looking pretty old, so I had removed, cleaned and painted them with a shade of white that complemented the original ceiling color.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
Your other thread is no longer - keep up the good work
Old 02-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #3

THOR #14340
Thank you, Janet!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:10 PM   #4

THOR #14340
Making headway on the flooring. Still have the bathroom and some of the steps to do.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:59 PM   #5

THOR #14340
Today was my day to work on the shower. Over the years it had turned a dingy yellow color. So today I cleaned it, scuffed it up, and started to spray paint it. About half way through I remembered I hadn’t taken a “before” picture, so I stopped in midstream and shot one.

There were some small screw holes that had to be patched and the PO had attached a soap tray to the shower wall with some sort of unbelievable sticky adhesive that didn’t want to budge. I used every kind of solvent I had in the barn and all I managed to do was set off the carbon dioxide alarm. I eventually scraped it off with a chisel and fiber glassed the holes/scratches.

I found new faucets and the spray hose/spray head assembly on Amazon, but they won’t be here until the 5th of May. So here is where we are so far.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #6

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
Looking good well done
Old 02-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #7

THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
Looking good well done
Thank you Thomas M!

Finished the steps today. I'm pleased with how they came out.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:17 AM   #8

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
Just keeps getting better
Old 03-02-2019, 12:17 AM   #9

THOR #14340
Spent most of the day getting the Jeep ready for tomorrow's trail ride with the club. I did manage to get the new microwave installed.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:09 PM   #10

THOR #14340
Finished the flooring in the bathroom. Certainly were a fair number of challenging cuts!

Old 03-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #11

THOR #14340
Shower parts arrived and I got them installed today. Used stainless screws this time around. It appears the builder (Four Winds) either scrimped in this area or stainless screws were not available back in 2004.

The fun part of this build is the lack of effort that I have to exert to produce a "better than stock" finish. Four Winds didn't set the bar very high with their quality, either in the parts they used or in workmanship they applied.

And this quality standard (or lack thereof) doesn't end in the bathroom, it extends throughout every aspect of the couch. Look behind power outlets and the hole looks like it was cut with a chisel. Bracing behind drawers is made from whatever was handy. Etc, etc. The only "standard" that I've found so far, is they used the same size screws (Robertson?) to attach just about everything in the coach. Sure makes it very easy to remove/replace everything.

Anyhow, below is a before and after pic of the shower now that its been refinished and the new faucets installed.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:03 AM   #12

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Shower parts arrived and I got them installed today. Used stainless screws this time around. It appears the builder (Four Winds) either scrimped in this area or stainless screws were not available back in 2004.

The fun part of this build is the lack of effort that I have to exert to produce a "better than stock" finish. Four Winds didn't set the bar very high with their quality, either in the parts they used or in workmanship they applied.

And this quality standard (or lack thereof) doesn't end in the bathroom, it extends throughout every aspect of the couch. Look behind power outlets and the hole looks like it was cut with a chisel. Bracing behind drawers is made from whatever was handy. Etc, etc. The only "standard" that I've found so far, is they used the same size screws (Robertson?) to attach just about everything in the coach. Sure makes it very easy to remove/replace everything.

Anyhow, below is a before and after pic of the shower now that its been refinished and the new faucets installed.

you're doing an awesome job there Cowboy...you're way ahead of the game being the shower is not gold...I did a similar remodel on an 04 alpine ton of work
Old 03-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #13

THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
you're way ahead of the game being the shower is not gold...
Truer words were never spoken my friend.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #14

THOR #14340
Wasn't real happy with the "fit-n-finish" of the microwave, so I trimmed it out a bit. :-)

Old 03-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #15

THOR #14340
I see my "trimmed out" photo disappeared so I'll try again. Sigh...

Old 03-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #16

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Wow. Great work

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #17

THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Wow. Great work

Jerry
Thank you, Jerry! Coming from you, that means a lot!
Old 03-13-2019, 12:20 AM   #18

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Thank you, Jerry! Coming from you, that means a lot! [emoji144]
Dont know why you say that. Your skills are far superior than mine. I just know how to spend money and do minor upgrades

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #19

THOR #14340
Carpet

I have a whole new-found respect for anyone who makes his living laying carpet.

Anyhow, I got the old out and the new in. The old carpet really wasn’t bad, but as long as I had the captain chairs out, I figured it would never get any easier than now.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:39 PM   #20

THOR #14340
Worked on the small wall at the end of the living room today. Installed some nice Stacked Travertine Stone Tile, hung a larger mirror and trimmed it all out. The stone tile is actually a peal-n-stick product we found at Lowe's. It doesn't weigh much at all, so I get the look of real stone at a fraction the weight penalty of the real thing.

Before and after pics below.