Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
invert vs inverter charger?

I have an rv (class A, Thor Vegas) that when I plug in to shore charges my battery. I want to install an inverter OR inverter charger. why would I need an inverter charger when the the rv already charges the battery? wouldn't an inverter do what I need? why would I go with and inverter charger, not just an inverter?

Old 03-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
I have an rv (class A, Thor Vegas) that when I plug in to shore charges my battery. I want to install an inverter OR inverter charger. why would I need an inverter charger when the the rv already charges the battery? wouldn't an inverter do what I need? why would I go with and inverter charger, not just an inverter?
Inverter does not charge batteries. inverter/charger does. Sure your Vegas does not already have an inverter for the TV.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
The Axis/Vegas 24.1 does not come with an inverter.

No advantage to replace your converter with an inverter/charger except a lighter wallet.

Can't think of any advantage to having and inverter/charger over having discreet inverter and converter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #4

THOR #17346
Inverter.charger

I agree. The Vegas does not have an inverter that will charge anything plugged into an outlet. That is why I want an inverter. However, The inverter I am looking at is a combination inverter/charger and I am now thinking I do not need the charger. Plugging into shore power charges the battery so why would I also need a charger in combination with the inverter?
Old 03-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #5

THOR #17346
I do not want a lighter wallet!!!! You just confirmed what I has thinking. The inverter/charger, in addition to being much more expensive, is 50 lbs heavier and takes up more space. Seems quite unnecessary!
Old 03-21-2020, 02:31 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I do not want a lighter wallet!!!! You just confirmed what I has thinking. The inverter/charger, in addition to being much more expensive, is 50 lbs heavier and takes up more space. Seems quite unnecessary!
It is; just get a PSW (Pure Sine Wave) inverter.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #7

THOR #17346
as far as I know I do not have a converter. I know I have a charger, as when plugged into shore power, my batteries charge.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #8

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I did the AIMs Inverter install on my Vegas.
The AIMs 1200/2000 Inverter with Auto Transfer Switch has since been discontinued on Amazon.

1) if you want the inverter integrated into your non-GFI outlet line, which is what most have done, then you must have an auto transfer switch. The ATS can either be integrated into the inverter or installed separately

2) you’ll also want a remote switch. That way the inverter can be placed under the cabinets and near the Converter where the non-GFI line is located

Finally...there’s an excellent 3 part DIY video on Utube from a Forum participant who led the way for the integrated install on Vegas/Axis.

Click on this link, it’s part 1. Then after complete, click on “Videos” and scroll down until you find the parts 2 & 3 AIMs inverter install.

https://YouTube-AIMs
Old 03-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
as far as I know I do not have a converter. I know I have a charger, as when plugged into shore power, my batteries charge.
Basically a charger and a converter are the same. Technically a converter converts AC current to DC current to supply all items in the coach that use 12 volt DC and still has enough headroom to charge deeply discharged batteries while maintaining a stable voltage. A battery charger is strictly built to only charge batteries.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
You have a converter that charges your batteries. See Beau's answer above.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #11

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I did the AIMs Inverter install on my Vegas.
The AIMs 1200/2000 Inverter with Auto Transfer Switch has since been discontinued on Amazon.

1) if you want the inverter integrated into your non-GFI outlet line, which is what most have done, then you must have an auto transfer switch. The ATS can either be integrated into the inverter or installed separately

2) you’ll also want a remote switch. That way the inverter can be placed under the cabinets and near the Converter where the non-GFI line is located

Finally...there’s an excellent 3 part DIY video on Utube from a Forum participant who led the way for the integrated install on Vegas/Axis.

Click on this link, it’s part 1. Then after complete, click on “Videos” and scroll down until you find the parts 2 & 3 AIMs inverter install.

https://YouTube-AIMs

This is the one you want for your Vegas/Axis...

AIMs 1200/2400 Inverter with Transfer Switch

It's about $86 more than it was on Amazon, but it's a New! Improved product.

You'll also need to order the AIMs remote. Available on Amazon.

Then follow the install in the Videos & you are Golden!
P.S. also do a search on this Forum for additional info and photos.

Good luck and let us know how it went.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:07 PM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I took a different tack.
My inverter charger charges at 150amps instead of my stock 45a(?) converter.
It charges faster.
Mine is stackable so I could, for no reason that's reasonable, become 6,000w and 300a charging.
Mine does the same (essentially) thing a TransForm does. It adds volts to low voltage shore power. It will pull from the battery, and invert the incoming 109v to the adequate voltage.
A module can be added which will allow you to select circuits it will turn off, in turn, if your battery goes awry.
Set it to shut down the microwave, then the TV then the heater, up to nine or so things.

There are lots of reasons to go full blown. Mostly that the labor cost is going to be the same(ish) and any future ac or battery changes are covered by this inverter. Batteries are changing/cheapening just a bit faster than solar and ac technology, but all three are on a huge upward trend of effeciency and a huge downward pricing.

Your stock converter system is barely adequate, if adequate.
I had to unplug mine when I did the
Xantrex ws3012 install. It lives unobtrusively behind the under sink drawers next to the heater vents. There're pictures in the 24.1 link in my signature including pics of where I put the controller, which also runs, completely integrated with the ws3012, my automatic generator starting system. If my batteries go low(and lots of other things which will turn on your generator without you being there) my inverter tells the ags to do its thing.

You'll spend the money once. The expense isn't recurring. You're not throwing any money away.

An adequate inverter charger is the first step to a usable size solar array.
It's the first step to a minisplit ac conversion.
It's the first step to being able to run your microwave with electronics deciding that viability.

I didn't like the expense. The expending is over and done.
You must think of an inverter as integrated and not stand alone. Then make your decision.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
many larger coaches, like mine, have NO Converter, but only a single INTEGRATED Inverter/Battery Charger...like the Magnum ME2012. All this does essentially the 'same' as a separate Converter and Inverter, but it's simply a single unit and doesn't need two different 'boxes', or the space.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
many larger coaches, like mine, have NO Converter, but only a single INTEGRATED Inverter/Battery Charger...like the Magnum ME2012. All this does essentially the 'same' as a separate Converter and Inverter, but it's simply a single unit and doesn't need two different 'boxes', or the space.
From Sensata Technologies the maker of Magnum Energy products - ME SERIES INVERTER/CHARGER 2012-G, 2012-G

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:

In my opinion which is best depends greatly on how large the inverter needs to be and how you plan to use it. I didn’t see that mentioned.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #16

THOR #17346
thanks for all that ducksface. if you are not going to stack it, and I also can see no reason to, then my interpretation, from what you have stated, is that the inverter charger system does a better job at charging the batteries than what may exist in my current system. is that correct? but, a valid point made, I could stack inverters. as the best inverter I can find is what was presented above by taylorbob1, the aims, is only 1200 watts, compared to a 3000w inverter charger. from what I have found most inverters have plug in, not a wire in with a switch, which do me no good that I can determine. and why do you say "An adequate inverter charger is the first step to a usable size solar array. "
not wanting to expand this topic, I am installing a 3x100w solar including a mppt 100/30 solar controller. I expect that will handle the battery charging, thus, a inverter charger is not needed to charge my battery. or what exactly does an inverter charger give me that a inverter alone, combined with my existing rv converter, charger, and solar charger does not provide?
Old 03-21-2020, 08:24 PM   #17

THOR #17346
Chance, I want the biggest inverter I can reasonably get. what difference does it make on inverter vs inverter controller? from what I have found I can get a 3000w inverter charger, but only a 1200 inverter. there are other, bigger inverters, but they do not have switches, nor do they have ac input, they only have ac output via a plug in receptacle. thus, if I want a 3000w, I must get an inverter charger as these come in 3000w size, OR, have multiple 1200w inverters that have ac in and out with switch?
Old 03-21-2020, 08:40 PM   #18

THOR #17346
thanks 16ace27, I agree, I have a charger that charges the battery. thus, why would I want an inverter charger and not just an inverter?
Old 03-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #19

THOR #13932
You do have an charger.
It is not large enough.
If you pull 450w off of your solar system(this is a very simplified view)
You can recharge with your exisitng charger in a theoretical 10hours.
Or you can charge it in 3 hours with the 150amp
Three hours is a tow'd trip between lunch and dinner, 10 hours is a saga of not having charged batteries when you get back from your jaunt.
This is not right. It left out some stuff to make the numbers easy to see.
Punchline: 150a is much greater than 45a AND comes free with the 3000w inverter/shore voltage fixer/ags controller.

That's why you need a charger. The woefull one you now have is just a place holder until you get a better one.

The 24.1 is a kit, not a well appointed rv.
I'm glad they lended me
Inverter
Tires
Seats
A hole for the rear ac
Batteries
A Rolling front end until I can get the toys added to the suspension
A bathroom fan
Electrical outlets
A radio
A microwave

Until I can get their PLACEHOLDERS replaced.

adequate but lesser is the call of the 24.1

Consider it a kit you upgrade as you go.
I do.
It makes a lot of happy instead of a lot of grousing about which direction a bay door opens

Old 03-21-2020, 11:19 PM   #20

THOR #13932
Sorry op,
You're right.
It's not in my thread.
It's in this thread.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...1-a-18559.html

Any pictures you want, I'll take.
Those damn pictures are sideways...

And
I screwed up a bit.
The controller for the ags didn't need to be accessed and the installer did exactly what I told him to.
The ags controller can be hidden away somewhere because the inverter control controls the ags. So, the control box with the exposed wires at the bottom can go anywhere because it is redundant to the inverter control.
The controller can be mounted above where the tank and generator control panel is. The bottom plate of that cabinet pops out and there is a raceway of wires under it. Theres a picture of the raceway in the post about installing the retractable power tower.

Here's better pictures.
I just happen to be down at the shop so taking better pics was easy.
The ws3012 monster sized inverter is the box with the orange stripe. It lives against the outside wall behind the electrical panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0321201623d~01.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	23011   Click image for larger version

Name:	0321201623e~01.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	23012  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0321201623~01.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	23013  

Tags
charger, inverter, solar