Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2021, 10:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE
State: Michigan
THOR #25539
Inverter Install

Problem: My 2019 24HE did not have an inverter to allow passengers to watch tv, charge phones, etc. w/o running generator while mobile.

Fix: Purchased an AIMS Pure Sine Inverter w/ transfer switch, 1200W continuous, 2400W surge, intelligent cooling fan.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CHSXBD...roduct_details

Install: Behind fuse box under bed. Connected cabin battery/AC feed in & then the one non-GFI out feed from fuse box that goes to all non-GFI plugs which are TVs/DVD & outlet at dinette. When you plug the motorhome into AC the inverter transfer switch automatically allows AC to bypass through & feed outlets. When not plugged in it inverts DC to AC and feeds the non-GFI outlets. Also installed an optional wired remote so can turn on/off if wish to do so. Will probably only turn on while traveling just to try and make it last as long as possible.

Attached photo of install below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aims Inverter.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	35247

Old 12-16-2021, 10:38 PM   #2

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
Problem: My 2019 24HE did not have an inverter to allow passengers to watch tv, charge phones, etc. w/o running generator.

Fix: Purchased an AIMS Pure Sine Inverter w/ transfer switch, 1200W continuous, 2400W surge, intelligent cooling fan.

Install: Behind fuse box under bed. Connected cabin battery/AC feed in & the one outlet feed from fuse box that goes to all non-GFI plugs which are TVs/DVD & outlet at dinette. When you plug the motorhome in to AC the inverter transfer switch automatically allows AC to bypass through & feed outlets. When not plugged in it inverts DC to AC and feeds the non-GFI outlets. Also installed an optional wired remote so can turn on/off is wish to do so. Will probably only turn on while travelling just to try and make it last as long as possible.

Attachment 35247
Looks like a nice compact job. I looked at the photo and it looks like an optical illusion the back of the photo looks like it's flush with the floor and wires and other things seem to go under the floor both ways. The front of the photo has an electrical panel in the front so the front is above the floor but how can the back be flush and the front be above the floor. This summer I want to do the same thing on mine
Old 12-16-2021, 10:46 PM   #3

THOR #25539
Oh, yes I guess it does look like that. Bad photo... Where you see the electric panel, that is the vertical end of the "platform" that the foot end of mattress sits on. It is hollow inside and holds the wiring and if you look really close you can see the top of that platform is a different color than floor and continues behind the opening and is raised and the mattress would be covering it. I hope that helps some and sorry about the quality of the photo.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:50 PM   #4

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Oh, yes I guess it does look like that. Bad photo... Where you see the electric panel, that is the vertical end of the "platform" that the foot end of mattress sits on. It is hollow inside and holds the wiring and if you look really close you can see the top of that platform continues behind the opening and is raised and the mattress would be covering it. I hope that helps some and sorry about the quality of the photo.
The photo is very clear it just messed with my mind. I like the idea that it has an auto transfer switch and a remote is a great idea
Old 12-16-2021, 11:07 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Problem: My 2019 24HE did not have an inverter to allow passengers to watch tv, charge phones, etc. w/o running generator while mobile.

Install: Behind fuse box under bed. Connected cabin battery/AC feed in & then the one non-GFI out feed from fuse box that goes to all non-GFI plugs which are TVs/DVD & outlet at dinette. When you plug the motorhome into AC the inverter transfer switch automatically allows AC to bypass through & feed outlets. When not plugged in it inverts DC to AC and feeds the non-GFI outlets. Also installed an optional wired remote so can turn on/off if wish to do so. Will probably only turn on while traveling just to try and make it last as long as possible.

Attachment 35247

Did you install a new cable from the house batteries to the inverter or are you relying on the feed Thor installed to the power center?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 01:25 AM   #6

THOR #25539
I did not install a new lead from house battery to power center. The house battery (2019) has been replaced and AGM will be next. Based on your question, is there something in regard to cable I should keep an eye on? Thank you.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:03 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I did not install a new lead from house battery to power center. The house battery (2019) has been replaced and AGM will be next. Based on your question, is there something in regard to cable I should keep an eye on? Thank you.
That cable is on a 50 amp breaker and sized for that max load so you have at best, 500 watts available on the AC side. TVs and entertainment shouldn't stress that, but just be aware where that 50 amp breaker is in your battery compartment in case you do trip it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:27 PM   #8

THOR #25539
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That cable is on a 50 amp breaker and sized for that max load so you have at best, 500 watts available on the AC side. TVs and entertainment shouldn't stress that, but just be aware where that 50 amp breaker is in your battery compartment in case you do trip it.

I appreciate your point. The inverter has limitations and breaker as well. As captain of the vessel, there won't be any hair dryers or other amp eaters when not connected to "shore" power. It is a good reminder though. Thank you.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #9

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Yes, a very compact install. Remember, the inverter produces heat and your space is quite confined. It seems you can add passive venting by cutting the paneling and cover it with a vent grille like this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GY8NWRQ...5P9SNPAQFMD65T
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #10

THOR #25539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Yes, a very compact install. Remember, the inverter produces heat and your space is quite confined. It seems you can add passive venting by cutting the paneling and cover it with a vent grille like this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GY8NWRQ...5P9SNPAQFMD65T

Yes, it is compact in relation to the fuse box and wiring. Unfortunately, my picture did not show that there is a large open area to the left that is the width of the bed. In that area is the OEM converter which produces heat & has fan. Fortunately the converter runs when plugged to "shore" power & inverter will be in by-pass mode.

I appreciate your point and when in warm/humid climates, I will monitor and if needed use the link you provided to add ventilation. I certainly do not want to toast the inverter. Thank you for that.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:06 PM   #11

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
That space might be a great spot to "bury" your new batteries. AGMs don't have the off-gassing hydrogen issue (*edit- but DO need to be vented https://rvnerds.com/2017/11/01/elect...-need-venting/ ) , but lithiums would love a warm spot on a cold night.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:51 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
I'm looking at that very inverter. I will, however, be installing it on the GFCI circuit so that I can use it for the coffee pot at the kitchen sink. There is another GFCI plug near where we will be using the TV.

Very nice looking!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 03:33 AM   #13

THOR #25539
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
I'm looking at that very inverter. I will, however, be installing it on the GFCI circuit so that I can use it for the coffee pot at the kitchen sink. There is another GFCI plug near where we will be using the TV.

Very nice looking!

Thank you - much appreciated.

If your power box is like mine, the GFCI are all on one circuit so the install is basically the same. Even though it looks like a lot of spaghetti, it actually is a very straight forward and worthwhile upgrade.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
My second option is to put the breakers for the regular circuit, the GFCI circuit, and the microwave in a sub panel. Put in a 30 amp breaker in the main panel and run that to the inverter, then out of the inverter into the sub panel. Just as long as I don't run multiple high wattage items at the same time, I should be fine. I bothers me to have to run the genny just to heat up a burrito.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:41 PM   #15

Model: ACE 30.4
THOR #12011
Great install. We installed the same unit in our 2018 ACE 30.4. Our main use is to power the coffee maker when we’re not plugged in without running the generator. I was a little concerned with the heat and fan noise it produces so I installed it in our battery compartment. Shorter battery leads run also.