Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #9392
Inverter Installation, Hurricane Style?

I just bought a Thor Chateau 22FT RV. It does not have an inverter (DC to AC power). Therefore, I don’t have AC Power while cruising unless I fire up the generator. I would like to watch TV, use Medical Equipment, power computers etc., make a (K-Cup) Coffee while cruising, all low power AC requirements, without using the noisy Onan on-board gas AC generator. Also, when shore power is not available, I need very low AC power capability overnight for a CPAP (medical equipment) and I don’t want to use the gas generator.

2 House batteries (1 comes standard) with an inverter solves these problems. Quiet AC Power. 1 12V House Battery and a 1000W Pine sine wave Inverter will cost me $400 to $500.

Here is a DIY installation I am looking for comments and opinions on.
Permanently mount the Inverter and connect DC to the House Battery Bank (which is attached to the engine alternator (70 AMP DC)). Back feed (plug the converter output into a AC outlet) the AC to one of the AC Outlets using a modified AC cord called a suicide cord because it has a male plug on both ends. Before connecting, switch OFF the Main AC Breaker, switch OFF the Converter Breaker, switch OFF the Air Conditioner Breaker, switch OFF the Microwave Breaker. This gives me low power AC throughout the coach.

Does anybody see an electrical problem with this, other than it is not idiot proof? That is, you have to remember to switch OFF the respective AC Breakers. I would rather not blow up the coach to find out I overlooked something obvious.

This will give me about 10 amps of AC power without the on-board AC generator (the on-board generator pumps out 30 amps). While cruising, the Ford Triton V10 Alternator pumps out 70 amps DC so I have enough DC power to convert to AC power. When “Dry Camping” I can run the CPAP 8 hours since it only draws 25 watts, without drawing down the batteries too much.

This is essentially what I do at home when hurricanes blow through and we lose power to the house. I have a 7000 watt 240V gas generator. I have a suicide cord and back feed through the electric dryer plug. Of course, I switch off the Main breaker from the transmission line to the house, and the AC, stove, water heater, etc. since I only have 30 amps of 240VAC. It is enough to survive in South Florida. Hence, the post title of Hurricane Style. Maybe I should have called it suicide style?

Old 10-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I put a 1000 Watt pure sine wave inverter in my ACE 27.1. I wanted to be able to power the TVs and entertainment/Internet/LAN equipment from the battery either down the road or when boondocking. I located the output cable coming out of the breaker box that was the "receptacle" cable and wired the output of the inverter into it with a DPDT switch. The switch allows me to select either the inverter or the breaker panel as the source for everything on the receptacles line. Since the inverter has 2 output plugs, if I needed to do the same thing to a separate line coming out of the breaker box I could.

As far as your CPAP, don't you have a "brick" that converts 120 VAC to 12 VDC for it? Most do and most have an adapter cord you can purchase that will allow you to run the CPAP directly from 12 VDC from the house batteries. No double conversion losses.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreaming View Post
I would like to watch TV, use Medical Equipment, power computers etc., make a (K-Cup) Coffee while cruising, all low power AC requirements, without using the noisy Onan on-board gas AC generator. Also, when shore power is not available, I need very low AC power capability overnight for a CPAP (medical equipment) and I don’t want to use the gas generator.

This will give me about 10 amps of AC power without the on-board AC generator (the on-board generator pumps out 30 amps). While cruising, the Ford Triton V10 Alternator pumps out 70 amps DC so I have enough DC power to convert to AC power. When “Dry Camping” I can run the CPAP 8 hours since it only draws 25 watts, without drawing down the batteries too much.
Well...10 amps would be exceeding 1000 watts (1100-1200 depending on whether you consider it 110 or 120v).
Delivering 1000 watts with zero loss (not reality) would use 83amps... More than your alternators total output.

Most CPAPs, laptops... some TVs will run directly from 12v.
I added a 12v tv and Blu-ray for travel/boondocking.

That leaves the inverter to power the coffee maker... Plug it in to the inverter when needed, and no suicide cord for anyone to get hurt with...

(Yes I've done the backfeed at home for storms... Certainly the exception, and carefully controlled. I wouldn't do it as a 'normal' course of traveling...
Plug in the specific devices you need, wire it in with a switch like Tfryman did, or get one with an internal transfer switch...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #4

THOR #9392
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Well...10 amps would be exceeding 1000 watts (1100-1200 depending on whether you consider it 110 or 120v).
Delivering 1000 watts with zero loss (not reality) would use 83amps... More than your alternators total output.

Most CPAPs, laptops... some TVs will run directly from 12v.
I added a 12v tv and Blu-ray for travel/boondocking.

That leaves the inverter to power the coffee maker... Plug it in to the inverter when needed, and no suicide cord for anyone to get hurt with...

(Yes I've done the backfeed at home for storms... Certainly the exception, and carefully controlled. I wouldn't do it as a 'normal' course of traveling...
Plug in the specific devices you need, wire it in with a switch like Tfryman did, or get one with an internal transfer switch...)
The inverter spec is 90% efficient and handles 2000W surge with 1000W steady state. Maximum load would be 600W. The K-Cup is a the smallest they make.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
The specs for the K15 Keurig list max power at 1500 watts. That's the heating element and is not a "surge" use.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:51 AM   #6

State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Look into an inverter with a built in transfer switch. There may be only 1 recepticle circuit in the panel. Send it through the inverter, to make it automatically available to power the recepts. Look into 12v adapters for the cpap and laptop.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:17 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Missed one other comment you made in my first reply
Quote:
2 House batteries (1 comes standard) with an inverter solves these problems. Quiet AC Power. 1 12V House Battery and a 1000W Pine sine wave Inverter will cost me $400 to $500.
You didn't indicate whether your RV is new or used... but in either case just adding 1 battery may not give you the desired results and battery life.
Those most successful with high draw setups use sets of matched batteries.
Matching an OEM battery may be a challenge -many are unlabeled as to their capacity - and condition is an unknown (even if the rig is new, batteries are typically abused before we ever see the rigs - often being deep discharged repeatedly on dealers lot - switches left on while not plugged in, etc... which can greatly shorten its life...)
Pairing a new battery with a degraded battery will shorten the life of the new one.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:46 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
The specs for the K15 Keurig list max power at 1500 watts. That's the heating element and is not a "surge" use.
I think you're correct, but there is a Keurig model that only pulls around 700 watts maximum. It looks very similar but is marketed for hotel rooms, dorms, etc. The only downside I've seen on specs is that it takes about twice as long as the one we travel with to brew a cup.

I looked at one a while back because our small microwave should also run off a 1,000-watt inverter.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:19 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
I installed an inverter, and similar to what Ted did, I took the general receptacles line from the breaker box, and the inverter output and ran it into a 15 amp auto transfer switch. The output of the transfer switch goes to the first receptacle in the general receptacle circuit. The auto transfer switch is made by Xantrex and is roughly $50. There are plugs through out the MH on this circuit.

No way would I even considering backfeeding the power with your suicide cord. Having to remember to unplug it, turn the breakers all back on and after travelling a day remembering it before plugging into shore power, your looking for a disaster. As we age, you must relate going upstairs in your house to get something, and when you get upstairs wonder why you went upstairs. Why have a solution with risks, instead of just doing it the right way for an additional $50 .

I use a K-Cup like style single cup coffee maker. It is labelled under the Betty Crocker name and the rating on it is 1000 watts. It uses around 600 though.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #10

THOR #9392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
I installed an inverter, and similar to what Ted did, I took the general receptacles line from the breaker box, and the inverter output and ran it into a 15 amp auto transfer switch. The output of the transfer switch goes to the first receptacle in the general receptacle circuit. The auto transfer switch is made by Xantrex and is roughly $50. There are plugs through out the MH on this circuit.

No way would I even considering backfeeding the power with your suicide cord. Having to remember to unplug it, turn the breakers all back on and after travelling a day remembering it before plugging into shore power, your looking for a disaster. As we age, you must relate going upstairs in your house to get something, and when you get upstairs wonder why you went upstairs. Why have a solution with risks, instead of just doing it the right way for an additional $50 .

I use a K-Cup like style single cup coffee maker. It is labelled under the Betty Crocker name and the rating on it is 1000 watts. It uses around 600 though.
I like this approach. Good tip on matching the batteries from gmc as well.
Thanks
Old 10-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post

I didn't know such a thing existed. I might have to swap out my DPDT switch with one.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Many of the larger Xantrex inverters or inverter/chargers come with built-in transfer switches. Xantrex specs include that information, as well as the current rating of the transfer switch.

Tags
inverter