Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the knowledge and experience.
Chance, Are either of these inverters similar to what you are talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/ENERGIZER-Inve...table+inverter
http://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Outle...table+inverter

Old 11-11-2015, 04:12 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunter View Post
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the knowledge and experience.
Chance, Are either of these inverters similar to what you are talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/ENERGIZER-Inve...table+inverter
http://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Outle...table+inverter
Those are similar, although mine is much older -- doesn't even have USB output. It's a DieHard that I purchased from Sears roughly 10 years ago, and should be obsolete by now. It has both the cigarette lighter plug and battery clips. It cost me less than $50 and it's worked great for what I've needed up to now. In the future I want enough inverter capacity to run my microwave or coffee maker, so I'll be looking at a much larger and permanent system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1047  
Old 12-28-2015, 12:55 AM   #23
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I took a different approach - and found equipment that would run on the available 12 volts... Running an inverter to go from 12V to 110AC - and then the TV, PC, etc. converting back to DC just seemed inefficient.
Sony Blu Ray player BDP-S3200 and a NAXA 12v TV (smaller than the standard bedroom tv in my coach...) The 110v TV is mounted on a cabinet door that opens from bottom - installed the Naxa on the INSIDE of the door - on a swing down mount. Completely inside the cabinet against the door when closed and using the MH 110 TV - opening the cabinet moves the 110 out of the way - and the 12V TV swings down to watch... An HDMI A/B switch allows the video to feed EITHER (not both) TV...
A cigarette lighter adapter to power laptop covers that piece as well.

We've used this quite often when we don't have shore power - and have yet to run down the twin coach batteries... (typically 1-3 days without power).
For the limited use of microwave, coffee pot - I fire up the generator.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #24

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/tec...-universal.pdf

Modified versus true sine wave discussed. He mentions some issues with electric blankets or coffee makers on MSW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
The size of the inverter versus your needs and or future needs is important. Want to run a microwave or coffee pot then you are going to need a larger inverter and probably batteries. Some inverters canbe hard wired some can't. Some 3,000 watt inverters have two 120v outlets 1500w each. Mr. Coffee 8c doesn't like 1500 watts.

Converters charge your batteries when your generator is running.
this is interesting info to me. I'd sort of like to add an inverter some day, but the only application that I can really think of is for my coffee in the morning... or maybe some odd computer charging or something.... I'm using a keurig machine currently, but it's one of those small and simple single cup ones so it might not matter for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I took a different approach - and found equipment that would run on the available 12 volts... Running an inverter to go from 12V to 110AC - and then the TV, PC, etc. converting back to DC just seemed inefficient.
Sony Blu Ray player BDP-S3200 and a NAXA 12v TV (smaller than the standard bedroom tv in my coach...) The 110v TV is mounted on a cabinet door that opens from bottom - installed the Naxa on the INSIDE of the door - on a swing down mount. Completely inside the cabinet against the door when closed and using the MH 110 TV - opening the cabinet moves the 110 out of the way - and the 12V TV swings down to watch... An HDMI A/B switch allows the video to feed EITHER (not both) TV...
A cigarette lighter adapter to power laptop covers that piece as well.

We've used this quite often when we don't have shore power - and have yet to run down the twin coach batteries... (typically 1-3 days without power).
For the limited use of microwave, coffee pot - I fire up the generator.

This has been my experience too. Most things we can do DC, or just simply don't need it or want it while on the road or not plugged in.....and this is the primary reason for me to have this project low on my priority list. I so far have only needed it so infrequently, & I need excuses to run and exercise my generator anyway. It usually doesn't get enough useage as it is. There's been a few times that I surely hated to fire up the genny and make the noise just for my cup of joe.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Why not just swap out the main TV with a 12V TV?
Here is a 32" Jensen (yeah I know how we all like Jensen products) one:
Amazon.com: Jensen JE3212LEDWM 32" 12 Volt LED LCD TV with integrated HDTV (ATSC) tuner, HDTV ready (1080p, 720p, 480p), High performance wide 16:9 LCD panel, 16.7 million colors: Computers & Accessories
Here is a Majestic one:
Majestic 12 Volt LED TV 32 inch with USB & MMMI - LED321U
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #26

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
the prices on those sold as 12volt units might be a reason not to.

The factory TV in my 31L is a 12volt. It died while still under warranty, so thor replaced it, but I priced it out at that time and it was very expensive.

At that time, I figured if it dies again, when out of warranty, I'll look long and hard for an off the shelf TV (from walmart, best buy, etc...) that uses a transformer to convert to 12volt input (not sold as a 12VDC tv)
Old 12-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #27
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Why not just swap out the main TV with a 12V TV?
I started out having the 12 v smaller TV from my old RV... Won't mention how that LCD cracked before I got it installed in the new one...
I couldn't find a larger 12v one at the time - good to know they exist - now be nice if they get cheaper before I need it..

Most of the larger ones I found for home use with separate transformer seemed to run in the 19v range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2
The factory TV in my 31L is a 12volt. It died while still under warranty, so thor replaced it, but I priced it out at that time and it was very expensive.
Was a bit surprised the RV didn't come with a 12v one - I guess the price is probably the reason...
Old 12-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #28

THOR #2121
I agree cost shouldn't always be overlooked.

There is energy efficiency, but there is also cost efficiency. While a 12 Volt DC TV "may" be more energy efficient, their cost is often much higher than a conventional TV. The one linked above is "about" $300 more. That's enough to pay for an extra battery.

As an example, some users may get more bang-for-the-buck if they install a normal TV and small inverter, and then apply the cost they save towards an additional battery.

Because inverter efficiencies are fairly high, I would expect to run a 32-inch Samsung TV (or similar) with small inverter off two batteries longer than a 12-Volt DC TV off one battery. I would personally prefer the extra battery approach if the total cost is comparable because not only do I expect a Samsung TV is superior, but also the extra battery capacity can be used for other needs.

Obviously it can't always be about costs (RVing is a hobby after all), and many RVs already have two batteries and don't have space or weight capacity to add more to battery bank, so practical limits don't apply the same to all. Having said that, if I was having a custom motorhome built, I would specify standard TVs, BluRay, coffee makers, refrigerator, etc... and power them all off one inverter and as much battery capacity as practical.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #29
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I started out having the 12 v smaller TV from my old RV... Won't mention how that LCD cracked before I got it installed in the new one...
I couldn't find a larger 12v one at the time - good to know they exist - now be nice if they get cheaper before I need it..

Most of the larger ones I found for home use with separate transformer seemed to run in the 19v range.

Was a bit surprised the RV didn't come with a 12v one - I guess the price is probably the reason...
I wouldn't hold out hope on reducing prices for the Jensen. Those Jensen 12V televisions have been around for awhile. My Forest River Sunseeker came with 3 as standard equipment (one was a larger model as an option).

If I was in the market for a 12VDC television I would definitely go for the Jensen based on the experience with the Class C. No problems with them at Fort Wilderness during out January 2015 trip either.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #30

THOR #2121
Jensen, according to Camping World, is rated at 90 watts (7.5 Amps X 12 Volts).

For comparison, I looked at Samsung TV specs and found same 32-inch size use much less power. So much so that even with a typical inverter providing power, you'd end up using less battery energy.

By the way, I have no connection whatsoever to Samsung, other than being a very happy TV customer. I like the value they provide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1198