Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2022, 07:42 PM   #1
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's battery buying time!

After three Seasons: our Duracell size 27 FLA batteries are as dead as an ice cube in Hell...
Since the Tiffin is still in storage: I called the Dealership, and told them to pitch a couple of size 31 AGMs under the steps for us.
Now we'll find out if there is a useful difference between the two sizes and types of batteries.
Since there were four recalls to be dealt with: we'll be picking the rig up in about a Month...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:44 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
How much are the two 31 AGM's going to set you back?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:40 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Bob
Are you getting the speed wheel sensor recall issue taken care of while it is in storage? My MB dealership has called me twice about the recall but they don't have the wheel speed sensors in stock yet. I told them that I will be dropping it off next month for the Service B to be completed and hopefully they will have the sensors in stock and can replace them at that time.

Paul
Old 03-10-2022, 11:49 PM   #4

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I don't care how many FLA fanatics vote to put me off the site, you will love the AGMs It goes well beyond how much longer they may last, but you can simply take the battery checking off your list. I really don't know if it is such thing as a bad AGM Grp 31 Mfg? With all that said, I bought my Group 31 AGMs BEFORE my NAPA FLAs failed. I did so to double my AHs from 65ah / battery to 125ah/battery. The rest was just a wonderful bonus. These batteries are now cheaper than a tank of gas I personally will guarantee you love the AGMs and if you have the vMax Tanks and they fail; I will fly up to New York and replace them myself it they don't honor the warrant: Disclaimer; due to gas cost I can only travel as far as New York City so you must come down to NYC and find me for me to replace the batteries
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:06 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
i don't care how many fla fanatics vote to put me off the site, you will love the agms It goes well beyond how much longer they may last, but you can simply take the battery checking off your list. I really don't know if it is such thing as a bad agm grp 31 mfg? With all that said, i bought my group 31 agms before my napa flas failed. I did so to double my ahs from 65ah / battery to 125ah/battery. The rest was just a wonderful bonus. These batteries are now cheaper than a tank of gas I personally will guarantee you love the agms and if you have the vmax tanks and they fail; i will fly up to new york and replace them myself it they don't honor the warrant: disclaimer; due to gas cost i can only travel as far as new york city so you must come down to nyc and find me for me to replace the batteries
i agree based on your recommendation we have vmax! No more dam during the day or early morning worries!
Old 03-11-2022, 12:13 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
dk... Just so you don't classify me as a complete wacko, I remembered that I put an AGM battery in the wife's daily driver last fall. I changed out her headlights the other day and noticed it. So, all hope isn't lost...
Old 03-11-2022, 12:29 AM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
dk... Just so you don't classify me as a complete wacko, I remembered that I put an AGM battery in the wife's daily driver last fall. I changed out her headlights the other day and noticed it. So, all hope isn't lost...
I had not noticed that my wife's XT5 came with AGM batteries until I bought the AGMs for the RV.

One day if gas prices goes up high enough and we need something else to do; we need to start a thread about all the things people do to maintain their RVs or to keep something functioning; when it could be so much simpler. I have good pulse on things like that from having read so much on this forum before ever buying an RV. I bought my RV worried about a many things that after almost 3 years have not even been a puff of smoke.

#1 on that list; if I ever buy a new RV again (with no AGM or Lithium's), I will insist the AGMs are installed or no deal. Even if I have to buy the batteries.

#2 I almost never bought an RV because I use to think it had to be a Residential Fridge or bust, I was so convinced from the readings that an Absorption Fridges wasn't worth a can of beans and thus he name Never Cold. The thought of buying an RV with a fridge that could not keep beer Ice KoldMan shivers me to my bones

#3 Then I can go into what I heard about the Green Monster; but like I said one day

Oh yes, before I forget; do you use the 303 Protectant when washing and waxing your AGM batteries

Koldman
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 03-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hi Bob
Are you getting the speed wheel sensor recall issue taken care of while it is in storage? My MB dealership has called me twice about the recall but they don't have the wheel speed sensors in stock yet. I told them that I will be dropping it off next month for the Service B to be completed and hopefully they will have the sensors in stock and can replace them at that time.

Paul
Yup!
They've got the hitch recall, the water tank pan recall, the
wheel cover issue, and the Speed sensor recall to tackle...
We're keeping them busy!
Old 03-16-2022, 07:37 PM   #9

State: North Carolina
THOR #20901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
After three Seasons: our Duracell size 27 FLA batteries are as dead as an ice cube in Hell...
Since the Tiffin is still in storage: I called the Dealership, and told them to pitch a couple of size 31 AGMs under the steps for us.
Now we'll find out if there is a useful difference between the two sizes and types of batteries.
Since there were four recalls to be dealt with: we'll be picking the rig up in about a Month...
Hmmmm. so what is the question ??
Old 03-17-2022, 12:31 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Did there have to be one?
(There's your question! )
Old 03-17-2022, 01:06 AM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
I recently replaced the original FLA batteries in my 2018 Freedom Elite.
I had decided to spend the extra bucks and get AGM’s as replacements.
My reasons were, basically no maintenance and longer warranty.
Tried Interstate Batteries first. The one I went to only had FLA’s, so I looked around on the inter web and decided to by them from O’Reily auto parts. Their prices were right and they had what I needed in stock.
In stock is a big thing these days.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 01:08 AM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Did there have to be one?
(There's your question! )
Well what about a sentence with a dangling participle
Old 03-17-2022, 02:27 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Well what about a sentence with a dangling participle
"Where do you put the batteries at?" ...there ya go.

We just refer to that as hillbilly English...
Old 03-17-2022, 02:57 AM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
"Where do you put the batteries at?" ...there ya go.

We just refer to that as hillbilly English...
I was wanting to hear something with one of those fancy New Yorker accents

Like "going to get new AGM batteries, the Tiffin ran out of gas"
Old 03-17-2022, 03:41 AM   #15

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #14923
I just replaced my Costco series 27 FLA Interstates with 2 series 27 AGM’s. They were $229 each. Can do a little better at Sam’s club. They were made in the US by East Penn. 92Ah. Great so far. Bought locally.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:51 AM   #16

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
As our 1st experience with RV batteries we decided to go with 2 Renogy 100ah AGMs last Dec. The more I read about them the more sense they made. A tad more expensive than FLA deep cycle but no water checking or worries.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:34 AM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Got a call from the Dealer. The AGM 31s fit like buttah!
We pick it up on April 9th.
There ius our Memorial Day (4 day) weekend trip to Lake George, and then the 11 Day journey to WDW,,,
Old 03-21-2022, 01:09 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
There ius our Memorial Day (4 day) weekend trip to Lake George, and then the 11 Day journey to WDW,,,

Most excellent! Hope you have a fabulous travel season.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:36 PM   #19

THOR #20220
Quote:
I used to go para sailing there. Let us know what camping is like ?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #20

THOR #20220
Proud of you AGM buyers!
What a piece of mind my wife and I have.
You will constantly check until comfortable.
Set your auto gen start and relax
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote