RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2020, 03:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
Jeff's Miramar Mods

We don't use our cooktop frequently (maybe 2-3 times total in the 2+ years we've owned it), preferring to cook outside or just use the Instant-Pot when we're stuck inside. We had previously found a prefinished board that's supposed to sit on top of a rolling toolbox which fit nicely over the cooktop when a few adhesive rubber feet were added around the outside edge. The cooktop is induction, so no fears of starting fires either. So, it's been like that for maybe a year now.

I had some time this weekend and decided to figure out how to make it more permanent, then the thought came to me: cut a pocket into it so the cooktop will sit inside the board, both making it look a little more designed-in as well as lower profile.

I have CNC router I built a few years back, and while not the fastest method of cutting it out, it's definitely a flagrant abuse of a machine capable of so much more.

Some satin lacquer was applied to the exposed wood to help reduce moisture absorption and warping a little. It matched the original finish surprising well. Lastly, I changed out the original larger rubber feet we had been using for some much smaller ones 6mm x 2mm (around 1/4" x 3/32"), so it'll still grab the counter, as well as protect the cooktop should anything push down hard enough to make contact (unlikely).

And here's the finished product, which somewhat resembles a built-in cutting board:

Another use for the tiny rubber feet are on our wireless multiplex control panels, so we can find the main light in the dark.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:17 AM   #2

THOR #12448
This is one I did last year, which I had done a video for, but never actually posted the video.

Here's the post where I initially mentioned it:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...1-a-14398.html

And the video I made of the install (first one I ever shot, edited and posted, so be kind).

I don't think I addressed it specifically in the video, but I eventually wound up purchasing the Titan Flame EF30B, as the Furrion bowed out too much in the front (by only 1/2" or so).

Old 10-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #3

State: Nevada
THOR #19284
Great idea for finding the light in the dark! Why didn’t I think of that?
Old 10-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #4

THOR #12448
To be fair, I don't think I came up with the idea in a vacuum. Instead I believe I read about the idea somewhere, possibly this forum.

Those smaller bumpers wound up not sticking terribly well. We're still looking for an alternative. We had used some others earlier on that were like 3 times the size. Those stuck well, but were a little too big.

Tags
miramar, mods