Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2015, 12:35 AM   #81
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
A WiFi setup can be as simple as turning on tethering/hotspot on your phone to a complete networking solution in the RV (there is someone on here who has a really nice setup--I forget who; I'm sure they will chime in here).

We usually try to connect our devices up to the local campground's WiFi first. Typically after we discover that is far too slow I'll turn on a hotspot with my phone or tablet.
Haven't been keeping up with the forum recently... catching up.
See this thread for a description of my RV network setup... I just updated after a year of using this setup - and as I begin another 3 months 'remote'.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #82

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
The yellow wire is attached to the chassis/ starting battery side, the red one goes thru the store switch to the coach battery.
This allows the radio to remember settings. They both should be in the. Distribution box

QUOTE=Bob n Cindy;7181]Front Distribution Box is located in the engine compartment. Should be on the right side.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-29-2015, 05:56 PM   #83
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef
The yellow wire is attached to the chassis/ starting battery side, the red one goes thru the store switch to the coach battery.
This allows the radio to remember settings. They both should be in the. Distribution box
I hooked the yellow wire to switched: The only setting the yellow wire retains in the 215 is the clock and since it has a GPS the clock syncs up pretty quickly on powerup. Thus, in my camper, when the use/store switch is in store mode the 215 is completely disconnected.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #84
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Update: Spent a couple of hours carefully rewiring the dash for the 215. Pulled out the 212's collar and put in the 215.
Jamie,
Seems I will be making this same replacement... Is there a good trick for getting out the old sleeve? Guessing the 212 sleeve wasn't compatible since you replaced it. It seems to have 'bend tabs' that are holding it in - and I don't see an easy way to 'un-bend'...
Some have mentioned removing the dash top - In my rig (2014 Hurricane) - I don't see a simple way to do that (over the instrument cluster has a removable panel - but doesn't give access to radio.. nothing appears easily removable in center section.)
Thanks!
Greg
Old 01-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #85

Model: 2015 Windsport 27K
State: Virginia
THOR #2314
Hi Greg,

I recently replaced my Jensen JRV212 with the JRV215. You have to use the new sleeve. Removing the old sleeve - it's not worth trying to unbend the tabs, too much trouble. Just gently bend the sides, top, and bottom inward until the tabs release. The metal is very pliable allowing you to do this.

Good luck . . .
Old 01-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #86

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #893
dead unit

having problem with my 212. All i get is static, cannot even power unit off. have checked all fuses and reset unit to no avail. any suggestions?
Old 01-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #87
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girard89 View Post
having problem with my 212. All i get is static, cannot even power unit off. have checked all fuses and reset unit to no avail. any suggestions?
I assume the screen is blank... Unfortunately an all too familiar problem..
See this thread: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...creen-775.html

There is a fuse on back of unit (need to remove from dash) - lots of details in other thread.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #88

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
See the link to the other thread. If your unit has the blue LED on the edges lit, screen blank and the power button does not work you have the display issue. The unit can be re manufactured, maybe warranty if out of date, call ASA 877-845-8750, don't give up until you talk to a senior manager.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #89

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Just now finishing 212 to 215 install and in trying to update map software could not find JRV215N on IGO/naviextras.com Jensen registration list. Only an older JRV213AVN. Should I just use 213AVN?
Old 01-30-2016, 10:09 PM   #90
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yeah that is what I did.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:11 AM   #91

THOR #2314
Dittoes!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #92

THOR #1183
215 install done and everything works! Only one note worth mentioning - I mounted radio at angle in the dash hole to improve viewing from drivers position. Ended up with left side flush and right side sticking out about 1/2 inch. Covered the exposed radio frame with balck material and with trim ring installed you can't see the change without looking very close.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #93

THOR #2314
Congratulations! Good idea angling the unit so you can see it better. My Windsport dash opening is already nicely angled toward the driver and is easily viewed.

We installed our Bluetooth microphone through the switch blank next to the "Cab Light" switch. Where did you install yours?
Old 02-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #94

THOR #1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runeasy View Post
We installed our Bluetooth microphone through the switch blank next to the "Cab Light" switch. Where did you install yours?
Right now it is hooked on the dash cover - centered in front of steering wheel. Works great sitting still in RV park. I want to get some on the road use before I make a decision.
BTW when anyone goes thru this and you are ready update GPS software for the first time - be sure you have a reliable and fast www connection. The update is huge. Took a couple hours on my 4g phone connection.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #95

State: California
THOR #1054
Hey Guys, I have a Challenger 35ht 2015. I am upgrading to the 215.

1. Previous to installing, did you disconnect the Neg at the chassis battery as well as the Neg at coach battery? (From posts I see that the radio is getting power from both sources)
2015 Thor Challenger 35 HT
Over The Hill Gang Vet Motocross Club
yz400rcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #96
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by yz400rcr1
1. Previous to installing, did you disconnect the Neg at the chassis battery as well as the Neg at coach battery? (From posts I see that the radio is getting power from both sources)
I don't think I did; don't think I even put the coach in "store" mode as I needed the lights.

I did all the wiring with the radio unplugged from the harness and then plugged everything in at the end.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #97

State: California
THOR #1054
Quote:
I don't think I did; don't think I even put the coach in "store" mode as I needed the lights.

I did all the wiring with the radio unplugged from the harness and then plugged everything in at the end.

Thanks Jamie....I noticed earlier in the post there was an issue with the 212t having a lower ampereged fuse that when the forum member used the mic it blew the fuse. When changing to the 215 did you have to change the fuse to a 15 amp?
2015 Thor Challenger 35 HT
Over The Hill Gang Vet Motocross Club
yz400rcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #98
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by yz400rcr1
Thanks Jamie....I noticed earlier in the post there was an issue with the 212t having a lower ampereged fuse that when the forum member used the mic it blew the fuse. When changing to the 215 did you have to change the fuse to a 15 amp?
LOL that was me: Thor had put in a smaller fuse in its fuse panel than the fuse on the back of the radio. I did replace it with a larger fuse (I think one that matched the rating on the back of the radio--or slightly larger; it was whatever I had on hand).
Old 02-06-2016, 03:06 AM   #99

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1460
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yz400rcr1 View Post

Good choice for the upgrade, the swap was plug and play. I have had no issues with this radio unlike the 212 that had several bugs with it.

Happy Trails
Old 02-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #100
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by yz400rcr1 View Post

Wes,

Since you have a Challenger are you swapping over from the Axxerra or did your coach come with the Jensen 212?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote