Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #2121

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makerofsawdust View Post
I have seven wires connected to the original thermostat. Four wires in jacket (red, yellow, green and blue), and three separate wires (white, white w/red stripe and red w/white stripe).
I bought the identical thermostat shown, all I need is the four wires shown in the diagram? Where do all the remaining wires go? Does it have something to do with the new one being battery powered?
Thanks

It looks like those wires are all below the thermostat. They look like the thermostat wires and maybe something else. Dont know what they go to or their uses. It appears the extra wire may go to another devise. In your first pic looks like you took off the top portion of the thermostat. My suggestion is to follow the wires that are on the thermostat. Then compare to the wiring code I posted. Hopefully it will line up.

If they are different, color wise, my guess is Thor run out of the color wire needed and used what was on hand. The thermostat wires will be labeled on the controller. Again just follow the wire code. Only four wires are needed.

Take the extra wires and taped them individually so they cant make connection and put them in the wall behind the thermostat so they can be retrieved later if needed.

If youre not comfortable cutting the wires and experimenting do some more research. Good luck

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:42 AM   #2122

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
The wires in the cable go up to the roof AC. The loose wires come from the furnace and 12vdc. Since the stat controls both the heating and the cooling and there are 2 separate devices, you have extra wires. Look at and or snap a picture of where the wires go on the old one for reference. Both stats will have the same "posts" or colored leads. Just move x to x. Y to y. Z to z. Etc. The 12v will be on so you may want to power down until you get the wires tranfered.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:02 AM   #2123

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #7902
Here are some pics

Original Thermostat

W1 Red connected to Red/White single wire.
W5 Yellow connected to Red wire in thermostat cable
W6 White connected to White/Red single wire
W3 Gray connected to Yellow in thermostat cable
W4 Green connected to Green in thermostat cable
W2 Blue connected to Blue in thermostat cable AND White single wire.

Any thoughts?

White wire in thermostat cable not connected, cut off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170902_204522.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	6742   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170902_204632.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	6743  

Old 09-04-2017, 04:25 AM   #2124
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
I just bought a Coleman Mach digital and its wire to wire replacement. Took me 15 minutes.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #2125

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #7902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I just bought a Coleman Mach digital and its wire to wire replacement. Took me 15 minutes.
I am trying to install the exact same one as Jerry did. He said he only hooked up four wires, and everything is working fine. Obviously two different assemblypersons wired our units.

Guess I'll look into getting a Coleman Mach digital one.
Thanks.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #2126

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makerofsawdust View Post
I am trying to install the exact same one as Jerry did. He said he only hooked up four wires, and everything is working fine. Obviously two different assemblypersons wired our units.

Guess I'll look into getting a Coleman Mach digital one.
Thanks.
I have the same Coleman Mach digital unit. It was a wire to wire match as well and a 15 minute job tops.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #2127

THOR #3156
Looks like you want to remove the wires from the wire nuts and then connect to the new thermo. I didnt do that. I cut the wires at the thermo then matched them up with the new. You have the same six wires i have.

I cut about 1 inch from the old thermo that gave me plenty of wire to work with. Strip the ends and hooked it to the new. Done

Red to red
Yellow to yellow
Whit to white
Green to green
Tape off gray and blue

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 09-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #2128

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Shortly after we got our ACE 30.1, I replaced the analog Mach thermostat with a digital one. The change out was simple as Jerry describes. Thor wire colors are intended more to no duplicate colors in their bundles and they have nothing to do with the thermostat wire color code.

This summer, I got tired of not being able to see the temperature without flashlight as we have the heat set to the low 50's at night and when I get up early in the morning I need to goose the temperature to heat the rest of the rig (we spend most of our camping at 7,000 feet plus and it gets cold overnight)

So after our last trip, I replaced the "replacement" with a Honeywell as described by Ray of Love Your RV --

http://www.loveyourrv.com/rv-thermos...-focuspro-5000

The mounting screws matched the location of the original Mach screws and I was able to route the wires through the exisiting cutout. Now I have a back lit thermostat. The Honeywell unit runs off of internal batteries instead of the furnace power - Something I discovered while chasing furnace water problems. I did have to install a rocker switch below the thermostat to control the hi-lo fan speed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4202.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	6745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4138.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	6746  

Old 09-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #2129

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Took a nice road trip to the Oklahoma side of Lake Texoma, left Friday morning, returned last night. We stayed at Glasses Resort and Marina, a Corp of Engineers campground near Durant, OK. Myra and I were going to meet up with her long time friend Judy and her husband Dennis who was the pastor at our wedding, super nice people!

The trip up became a little exciting when we came to a bridge that was out for repairs, GPS rerouted on a small country road with barely enough room for two normal vehicles to pass, had to pull over to extreme right side of the road several times where there was a big ditch, go tense a couple of times.

The "resort" consisted of VERY small sites with no cable or wifi. The campground does not allow mats? like you even had enough room to put one out! Sites were so tight I had to retract the awning for a trailer to park next to us!

Name:	IMG_2219.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	6765

Watched a guy with water powered jet boots do stunts, he was good and it was interesting to watch! I'd love to try this but I'm sure I would end up with the hose around my neck, or something worse!

Name:	IMG_2216.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	6766

First road trip after installing the doghouse insulation, after about five hours on the road I can report it is well worth the effort!!! No heat from the doghouse at all! On cruise control there is virtually no engine noise except when the cruise kicks down for a hill. Most of the engine noise now comes from the firewall and thru the floor, may add some floor insulation later. I don't have a decibel meter so I'm basing my observations on about 6,000 miles of previous experience. I am considering the insulation mod a complete success and can definitely recommend it!!!
Old 09-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #2130

THOR #3156
Glad you and Myra had a good time Dave. I hate small campsites like that, but its better than sitting at home

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 09-06-2017, 12:04 AM   #2131

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Took a nice road trip to the Oklahoma side of Lake Texoma, left Friday morning, returned last night. We stayed at Glasses Resort and Marina, a Corp of Engineers campground near Durant, OK. Myra and I were going to meet up with her long time friend Judy and her husband Dennis who was the pastor at our wedding, super nice people!

The trip up became a little exciting when we came to a bridge that was out for repairs, GPS rerouted on a small country road with barely enough room for two normal vehicles to pass, had to pull over to extreme right side of the road several times where there was a big ditch, go tense a couple of times.

The "resort" consisted of VERY small sites with no cable or wifi. The campground does not allow mats? like you even had enough room to put one out! Sites were so tight I had to retract the awning for a trailer to park next to us!

Attachment 6765

Watched a guy with water powered jet boots do stunts, he was good and it was interesting to watch! I'd love to try this but I'm sure I would end up with the hose around my neck, or something worse!

Attachment 6766

First road trip after installing the doghouse insulation, after about five hours on the road I can report it is well worth the effort!!! No heat from the doghouse at all! On cruise control there is virtually no engine noise except when the cruise kicks down for a hill. Most of the engine noise now comes from the firewall and thru the floor, may add some floor insulation later. I don't have a decibel meter so I'm basing my observations on about 6,000 miles of previous experience. I am considering the insulation mod a complete success and can definitely recommend it!!!

Glad you two had a great time. Shame your campsite was so small! Well done on the doghouse insulation!!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:12 AM   #2132

THOR #2757
Labor Day in the San Antonio Area

Labor Day in the San Antonio Area! Angie and I was accompanied by my brother, Dennis and lady, Janet!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	21314348_10210386293112924_8435555650344890977_n.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	6793   Click image for larger version

Name:	21272608_10210386292672913_1469025534657994320_n.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	6794  

Name:	21270961_10210378914408461_2389763409157538538_n.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	6795   Click image for larger version

Name:	21270892_10210380641571639_1482470308292906641_n.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	6796  

Old 09-06-2017, 12:24 AM   #2133

THOR #5196
Great pictures!!! Love San Antonio, was hoping to get back there again before we move. Where did you stay? Say Hi to Dennis and Janet from Myra and I next time you talk to them! Alamo was busy the day we were there, didn't get a picture, phooey!

Love that Happy Camper flag!
Old 09-06-2017, 12:27 AM   #2134

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
SuperD,

You can download various apps to measure decibel for your cell phone. I downloaded two and they were pretty close in thier measurements.

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:36 AM   #2135

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Did the same thing on our Axis Kev. All is good. Just makes life simpler being able to see real numbers on the thermostat.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:38 AM   #2136

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
SuperD,

You can download various apps to measure decibel for your cell phone. I downloaded two and they were pretty close in thier measurements.

DocMike
LOL, I actually have an app on my phone but forgot about it until it was to late. Should have gotten before and after measurements but didn't. Even without measuring I know the insulation made a significant difference!!!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #2137

THOR #2757
Quote:
Great pictures!!! Love San Antonio, was hoping to get back there again before we move. Where did you stay? Say Hi to Dennis and Janet from Myra and I next time you talk to them! Alamo was busy the day we were there, didn't get a picture, phooey!

Love that Happy Camper flag!
While in Fredricksburg, we stayed at the Quiet Creek RV Resort. This resort is only 2 years old and it is a fantastic camping site. While in San Antonio, we stayed at the Texas 281 RV Park in Bulverde. This park was very nice too! We saw the Camper's flag on Facebook and ordered it.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #2138

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
While in Fredricksburg, we stayed at the Quiet Creek RV Resort. This resort is only 2 years old and it is a fantastic camping site. While in San Antonio, we stayed at the Texas 281 RV Park in Bulverde. This park was very nice too! We saw the Camper's flag on Facebook and ordered it.

Just curious. We stayed at the KOA because we didn't have a toad and they had a bus stop in front that went directly to the River Walk and Alamo, even gave us a printed bus schedule. Haven't heard of the Texas 281 but sounds nice.

Leaving tomorrow to take our boat and Yukon to Indiana. Brother in law is having suprize 60th birthday party on Sat, glad I'll be there for that, great guy! Sun and Mon will be spent looking at houses, fly back home on Tues, NOT looking forward to the long drive to Indiana!!!
Old 09-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #2139

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
DashCommand OBDII App for F-53 Chassis

Quote:
JAs you know I did the same thing but instead downloaded the Dash Command app, Torque app is not available for Apple products. I haven't had time to go thru all the different gauges so not sure if trans temp is available. The ForScan app is available for Apple so I may download that as a secondary, and I'm like you I would like to monitor the trans when towing.
I got a BAFX Bluetooth OBDII for my Android and took a look at several apps, Torque, Forscan and DashCommand. I really liked the looks of the DashCommand dashboards, and with some work, you can modify/create your own customized layout with just the PIDs you are interested in. However out of the box, it doesn't have the Ford transmisstion fluid temperature. But I got the following reply from the DashCommand developers:

In addition to generic OBD-II data which is standardized world wide, Dashcommand offers manufacturer specific OBD-II data for select vehicles, try entering your vehicle as a 2014 Ford vehicle. If your vehicle has stored codes that can only be read from dealer level scan tools, Dashcommand can give you access to this data for an additional in app purchase of $9.95 (if supported by your vehicle) you can get OBD-II data that would normally not be available using a generic OBD-II scan tool. You can purchase enhanced data by selecting in app "account" and select your vehicle's manufacturer and the vehicle model year. If you do not want access to enhanced dealer level data there is no need to purchase.

Before purchasing enhanced data its always a good idea to connect with your vehicle, open the data grid page and search for the specific data you would like to view, if you notice that a specific PID is showing a green dot next to it with a small red lock, this is an indication that your vehicle supports the PID (data) and you will need manufacturer enhanced data to view this PID.

PID's starting with SAE. are generic OBD-II PID's, any PID starting with a manufacturer such as FORD. or GM. is manufacturer specific PID and will require a purchase of enhanced manufacturer data to access.

Have a great day,
Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.
sales@palmerperformance.com
Home - Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #2140

THOR #2757
Quote:
Just curious. We stayed at the KOA because we didn't have a toad and they had a bus stop in front that went directly to the River Walk and Alamo, even gave us a printed bus schedule. Haven't heard of the Texas 281 but sounds nice.

Leaving tomorrow to take our boat and Yukon to Indiana. Brother in law is having suprize 60th birthday party on Sat, glad I'll be there for that, great guy! Sun and Mon will be spent looking at houses, fly back home on Tues, NOT looking forward to the long drive to Indiana!!!
Have fun and safe journey!!!!