Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2017, 01:15 AM   #2421

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn62 View Post
Thanks Jerry,
I will give that a try. The bushing doesn't look bad. I hope when I set everything in place I can get the bolts started and tighten things up. I wasn't sure if the clip had to be in a uniform "U" shape before I installed it. Thought it might deform the bushing. Might have to re bend the clip before I re use it. Are you using 66 ft pounds as a standard for the size of the bolt?

Shawn
Shawn, I found the same situation on my 2016 with less than 4K miles on it. However, my U-strap was badly bent. $60 bucks and I had a new strap and 2 bolts, 30 minutes later was completed.
It really made a difference in the drive when the rear sway bar was connected properly. While I was under there, I also moved the end links to the most stiff position.
Recie

Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:20 AM   #2422

THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Thanks Dave, Thanks Jerry!!! I plan to start this mod Thursday!!! Should be fun and educational!!

Dino,
I'm planning on installing the base plate and fittings on the TOAD this weekend. Blue Ox provided pretty straight forward instructions. Other than breaking something not planned or loosing the fairing push-pin connectors, I should have very limited issues. TOAD = 2017 Nissan Versa Note (Completely stripped down, no auto anything!)
Old 12-19-2017, 03:17 AM   #2423

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
Shawn, I found the same situation on my 2016 with less than 4K miles on it. However, my U-strap was badly bent. $60 bucks and I had a new strap and 2 bolts, 30 minutes later was completed.
It really made a difference in the drive when the rear sway bar was connected properly. While I was under there, I also moved the end links to the most stiff position.
Recie
Thanks Recie,
I purchased new bolts today at the local Ace Hardware. $3 each. Flange head M12 35mm class 10.9. I hope to put her back together tomorrow. I did the CHF back in January after I drove 30 miles. That really helped the handling.

Shawn
Old 12-19-2017, 05:48 AM   #2424

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Thanks Recie,
I purchased new bolts today at the local Ace Hardware. $3 each. Flange head M12 35mm class 10.9. I hope to put her back together tomorrow. I did the CHF back in January after I drove 30 miles. That really helped the handling.

Shawn
Let us know how it worked out Shawn

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #2425

THOR #3156
Went up on the roof again to install the cyclone vent cover on the black tank and to fix the tears caused by the screws.. turns out after looking closer there are no screws. Now sure what caused it but i sealed them with dicor and completed the install in 15 minutes or so

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20171219_130210.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	8305
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #2426

THOR #6199
Sway bar bushing strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Let us know how it worked out Shawn

Jerry
I was able to put the strap in a vice and reshape it. Replaced it on the right side and locktited it. The left side rear strap was loose. The bottom bolt was backed out. I was able to take it out with my fingers.

Now I have to check the front sway bar. I will report back.

Shawn
Old 12-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #2427

THOR #10287
Wow!

What a wealth of information for Hurricane/Windsport owners in general, and more specifically, 29M owners. I'm just about half way through this thread, but I had to stop and give a shout out and thank Jerry and the whole crew for sharing the mods, updates, and insights you all come up with on your rigs.

Like most, the DW and I started out tent camping. We've been boondocking for the last 11 years or so with a couple different toy haulers. But our interests are changing, and it's time for us to quit playing in the dirt. We still love the desert and will never completely give it up though. We're just going to be a little more comfortable when we're there.

Supposedly, we started our quest for a MH just this past Sunday, and we were going to take our time checking out different units. The 29M was already on my radar, and as soon as my wife, Becky, stepped into one, it was all over but the shouting. It checks off nearly all of the boxes, and we'll likely get serious about getting a 29M right after the holidays.

Thanks again, I've still got a bunch of reading to do, so I'm gonna get back at it.

Dave
Old 12-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #2428

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Dave, lots of 29M lovers here!!! Got questions, ask, someone will know the answer!

When my wife and I went shopping she saw the 29M and the looking was over!!! Just spent the last 3 months living full-time in our coach, worked out great, very livable!

Wish you the best in your quest!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:30 PM   #2429

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Went up on the roof again to install the cyclone vent cover on the black tank and to fix the tears caused by the screws.. turns out after looking closer there are no screws. Now sure what caused it but i sealed them with dicor and completed the install in 15 minutes or so

JerryAttachment 8305
Great job Jerry! You didn’t use near as much Dicor as I did!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #2430

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Does that thing swivel ? I'd really like to add one to my Challenger but I'm afraid to touch anything for fear of screwing things up royally.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #2431

THOR #6199
Quote:
I was able to put the strap in a vice and reshape it. Replaced it on the right side and locktited it. The left side rear strap was loose. The bottom bolt was backed out. I was able to take it out with my fingers.

Shawn

Checked the front sway bar and it is ok.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:48 PM   #2432

THOR #8249
Quote:

JerryAttachment 8305
Hey Jerry,
That looks just like what I did a while back! Install looks good.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #2433

THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
Does that thing swivel ? I'd really like to add one to my Challenger but I'm afraid to touch anything for fear of screwing things up royally.
Mine does, and I'm sure Jerry did a better job than I, so his should.

Just FYI, it does help when "going", while going down the road. I have experienced the before and after.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:57 PM   #2434

THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGlide View Post
What a wealth of information for Hurricane/Windsport owners in general, and more specifically, 29M owners. I'm just about half way through this thread, but I had to stop and give a shout out and thank Jerry and the whole crew for sharing the mods, updates, and insights you all come up with on your rigs.

Like most, the DW and I started out tent camping. We've been boondocking for the last 11 years or so with a couple different toy haulers. But our interests are changing, and it's time for us to quit playing in the dirt. We still love the desert and will never completely give it up though. We're just going to be a little more comfortable when we're there.

Supposedly, we started our quest for a MH just this past Sunday, and we were going to take our time checking out different units. The 29M was already on my radar, and as soon as my wife, Becky, stepped into one, it was all over but the shouting. It checks off nearly all of the boxes, and we'll likely get serious about getting a 29M right after the holidays.

Thanks again, I've still got a bunch of reading to do, so I'm gonna get back at it.

Dave
Dave, It's good to have you aboard! Yes this thread has a LOT of info and ideas for not only the 29M, but other models too. I'm very glad Jerry started it and the other members have contributed.

Me and the wife did pretty much as you did; went looking only, wound up buying it that day. At least we looked at a lot of the others that day in Pomona. I'm currently living in mine while I work a few hours away from home, where the wife continues to live and work. Pretty sure there are a few more here that are "living" in theirs too. I find that this provides a little more time to consider the worth of specific mods and learn a little more about the unit.

Enjoy yours!
Old 12-20-2017, 12:17 AM   #2435

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Great job Jerry! You didn’t use near as much Dicor as I did!
Dave,
After cleaning the old dicor off the roof it was pretty clean. The dicor was kind of cold when i put it on so im sure it will spread out more since the sun came up. Didnt see the need to put more but ill check it tomorrow to see how it covered and add more if needed.

You can never put to much dicor..

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-20-2017, 12:22 AM   #2436

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
Rick,
Yes it swivels with the wind. Ill probably add a "360 siphon" vent cover to the gray tank.

I didnt know about the 360 siphon when i got the cyclone. I think either one are fine and will do the job.

Watch youtube videos for both installs. Both are fairly easy.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-20-2017, 12:25 AM   #2437

THOR #3156
Quote:

Shawn
Good jod Shawn
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-20-2017, 04:24 AM   #2438

THOR #10287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Dave, lots of 29M lovers here!!! Got questions, ask, someone will know the answer!

When my wife and I went shopping she saw the 29M and the looking was over!!! Just spent the last 3 months living full-time in our coach, worked out great, very livable!

Wish you the best in your quest!
I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, it's nice to have a resource like this where you can find the answers to many of them with a little digging.

Before we went out to actually look at motorhomes, my wife was leaning towards a Class C. She has driven a "short bus" for 28 years now, and felt she'd be more comfortable driving a Class C. I was leaning Class A for the more open floor plan, and more storage. Fortunately, she wasn't intimidated by the 29M at all. We did check out some Class C's as well, and she turned her nose up at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
Dave, It's good to have you aboard! Yes this thread has a LOT of info and ideas for not only the 29M, but other models too. I'm very glad Jerry started it and the other members have contributed.

Me and the wife did pretty much as you did; went looking only, wound up buying it that day. At least we looked at a lot of the others that day in Pomona. I'm currently living in mine while I work a few hours away from home, where the wife continues to live and work. Pretty sure there are a few more here that are "living" in theirs too. I find that this provides a little more time to consider the worth of specific mods and learn a little more about the unit.

Enjoy yours!
We won't be full-timing, at least not for several years. We're still about 7-8 years from retirement. For now, it'll be weekend getaways and one or two longer trips each year. Once we retire, we do plan on much longer trips throughout the country.

Thanks for the welcome, I'll be hanging around.

Dave
Old 12-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #2439

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Dino,
Wait til after new years, buy me a plane ticket and Ill help you install the base plate, brake system, and clean the roof.

Jerry
Too late my friend...base plate installed yesterday...have to wait for warmer weather to install the wiring for the brake/signal lights and the Invisibrake System but thanks for the offer! LOL

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #2440

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:

JerryAttachment 8305

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote