Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2018, 03:20 AM   #2821

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurticane 34J
State: Massachusetts
THOR #1987
From what I’ve always heard the Tekonsha controller has supposedly been the best for years. I’ve never used one, when I had my 5th wheel I had the built in Ford controller. I have friends with the Tekonsha and they’ve never had any issues

Old 04-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #2822

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Brake controller

I am leaning toward the Tekonsha Prodigy P2. It has some features that others don't have.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #2823

State: Indiana
THOR #11100
Well, I have a problem. I just had some work done on my brand new Thor ACE 29.3 (Ford F53 chassis) and noticed a hose hanging down from the rear end when I got home. See pics below. Can anyone tell me what this is and how it reconnects, or perhaps where I can go to find out?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	9648

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	9649

Name:	IMG_0174.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	9650
Old 04-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #2824

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatrackRV View Post
Well, I have a problem. I just had some work done on my brand new Thor ACE 29.3 (Ford F53 chassis) and noticed a hose hanging down from the rear end when I got home. See pics below. Can anyone tell me what this is and how it reconnects, or perhaps where I can go to find out?

Attachment 9648

Attachment 9649

Attachment 9650
That is the rear differential vent tube, it most likely wasn't connected to anything other than just being placed above the rear axle. Its purpose is to vent the rear axle to prevent pressure build up that could cause seals to leak.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:48 PM   #2825

State: California
THOR #4312
Jerry's Hurricane mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
seasoning my new blackstone 22 griddle. Plan to use it in the motorhome. I always wanted a blackstone in the backyard. Guess i can bring it out of the mh when needed

JerryAttachment 9354Attachment 9355

Jerry
How you liking the grill ? I took the 29M out camping to Point Mugu (Thornhill side ) and my neighbor had one. He had the 17” model and he liked his
Lance
This was my camping spot last weekend
https://youtu.be/otKiipAZIvw

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:35 AM   #2826

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classictint View Post
Jerry
How you liking the grill ? I took the 29M out camping to Point Mugu (Thornhill side ) and my neighbor had one. He had the 17” model and he liked his
Lance
This was my camping spot last weekend
https://youtu.be/otKiipAZIvw
Nice spot Lance. Ive never been there. We are in Solvang now. Coming home tomorrow

Re the blackstone. I havent cooked on it yet. Plan on using it in two weeks when we go to Lake McSwain

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:44 AM   #2827

THOR #4312
Quote:
Nice spot Lance. Ive never been there. We are in Solvang now. Coming home tomorrow

Re the blackstone. I havent cooked on it yet. Plan on using it in two weeks when we go to Lake McSwain

Jerry

That’s great ! I’m torn between the 17” or the 22” model Hahahaa. Safe travels friend

Be a blessing to someone
Old 04-11-2018, 02:10 AM   #2828

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classictint View Post
That’s great ! I’m torn between the 17” or the 22” model Hahahaa. Safe travels friend
Lance,
The 17 is cheaper but the 22 has 2 burners and is larger. I picked the 22 for those two reasons.

Right now hsn is the only one selling the 22, but ive read that it will be sold in retail stores soon. Probably cheaper than hsn also

If you want to look at it let me know

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 04-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #2829

THOR #11100
Hi Dino, like you I love the gadgets too!!! Looking at our dash post almost 1 year ago. I apologize if this is already posted somewhere, but I couldn't find it. How do you get power to all those devices?? I am trying to put together an organized way of getting all those wires to a single DC power hub. However, I am not sure how to determine the load and if a single 12v DC source can distribute power to that many devices. Would really appreciate your thoughts!!
Old 04-12-2018, 12:58 AM   #2830

THOR #4312
Jerry's Hurricane mods

Quote:
Lance,
The 17 is cheaper but the 22 has 2 burners and is larger. I picked the 22 for those two reasons.

Right now hsn is the only one selling the 22, but ive read that it will be sold in retail stores soon. Probably cheaper than hsn also

If you want to look at it let me know

Jerry

I ordered the 22” model today
Hsn had 15% off when you sign up

Be a blessing to someone
Old 04-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #2831

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Hi Dino, like you I love the gadgets too!!! Looking at our dash post almost 1 year ago. I apologize if this is already posted somewhere, but I couldn't find it. How do you get power to all those devices?? I am trying to put together an organized way of getting all those wires to a single DC power hub. However, I am not sure how to determine the load and if a single 12v DC source can distribute power to that many devices. Would really appreciate your thoughts!!
Currently I am using 2 multiple 12V plug ins that plug into the 12V adapters in the dash. I did hardwire the dashcam to the chassis battery. Hope that helps.

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #2832

THOR #11100
Thanks for the reply Dino. Yeah Im gonna hardwire my dashcam also. Im trying to see if anyone has introduced a USB Hub to power all the other devices. I'm thinking that I could route all the wires from the dash mounted devices to a central hub and have an organized, neat appearance. This would also leave the dash power supplies free for other uses like cell phones etc. However, I am trying to figure out how these current factory installed chargers are wired. Perhaps directly to the batteries in which case I would think one power source could easily power multiple devices. Just don't wanna overload any circuits. Haven't requested the schematics for my coach from THOR yet as suggested in this thread, perhaps that is the next step. Thanks so much for a great forum here, very helpful.
HatrackRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:27 AM   #2833

THOR #3156
Did a little work today. I got tired of having my dash cam power wire running over the dash to a 12 vt supply. Also i have a booster for my tpms up front in the engine area. When i installed it i hooked it directly to the battery with a toggle switch to turn it off and on. I always forget to turn it on.

So today i rewired the booster bringing the wires up from the engine area, through the floor into the dash. I connected the tpms wires to the power ground of the camera monitor. I also added a 12 vt power plug under the dash to the same wire connection of the tpms and monitor.

Bought a new power suppky plug for the dash cam. Plugged this into the 12 vt supply plug. Run the other end out of the dash just in front of the windshield. Now all i need to do is take the camera out of my truck and plug it in.

The dash cam and tpms booster now only runs when the engine is running. No more forgetting to plug in and no mire wires over the dash. It also frees up a 12 vt plug at tge dash.

No pics taken but if anyone wants to see the new 12 vt supply i can easily post a pic.

Jerry

ps: livingroom sound bar going in this weekend and im looking at installing a swiveling tv mount to make it more comfortable to watch from the new comfortable recliners
FMCA # F464385
Old 04-13-2018, 09:13 PM   #2834

THOR #5875
Busy day of mods to the Hurricane

I had a busy day today
  • Completed the CHF for the front and rear
  • Installed rear SUMO Springs
  • Installed a USB charging panel in the bedroom.
Here's a pic of the USB charging panel, it lights blue when the power switch is turned on. The USB port in the lower right are defective, that's why is isn't illuminated, I have a replacement on its way from Amazon.

Name:	20180413_110516 - Copy.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	9702

Name:	20180413_110523 - Copy.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	9703

Here is a pic of the rear SUMO Installed, it's an easy install but those tires are heavy and I'm going to be feeling that for a few days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180413_143202 - Copy.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	9704  
Old 04-13-2018, 11:35 PM   #2835

THOR #2757
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Dino. Yeah Im gonna hardwire my dashcam also. Im trying to see if anyone has introduced a USB Hub to power all the other devices. I'm thinking that I could route all the wires from the dash mounted devices to a central hub and have an organized, neat appearance. This would also leave the dash power supplies free for other uses like cell phones etc. However, I am trying to figure out how these current factory installed chargers are wired. Perhaps directly to the batteries in which case I would think one power source could easily power multiple devices. Just don't wanna overload any circuits. Haven't requested the schematics for my coach from THOR yet as suggested in this thread, perhaps that is the next step. Thanks so much for a great forum here, very helpful.
Most of those additional devices are low-amp devices so I think you will not overload the circuits

Old 04-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #2836

THOR #2757
Quote:
Did a little work today. I got tired of having my dash cam power wire running over the dash to a 12 vt supply. Also i have a booster for my tpms up front in the engine area. When i installed it i hooked it directly to the battery with a toggle switch to turn it off and on. I always forget to turn it on.

So today i rewired the booster bringing the wires up from the engine area, through the floor into the dash. I connected the tpms wires to the power ground of the camera monitor. I also added a 12 vt power plug under the dash to the same wire connection of the tpms and monitor.

Bought a new power suppky plug for the dash cam. Plugged this into the 12 vt supply plug. Run the other end out of the dash just in front of the windshield. Now all i need to do is take the camera out of my truck and plug it in.

The dash cam and tpms booster now only runs when the engine is running. No more forgetting to plug in and no mire wires over the dash. It also frees up a 12 vt plug at tge dash.

No pics taken but if anyone wants to see the new 12 vt supply i can easily post a pic.

Jerry

ps: livingroom sound bar going in this weekend and im looking at installing a swiveling tv mount to make it more comfortable to watch from the new comfortable recliners

Well done!!!!

Old 04-13-2018, 11:42 PM   #2837

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnyfolks View Post
I had a busy day today
  • Completed the CHF for the front and rear
  • Installed rear SUMO Springs
  • Installed a USB charging panel in the bedroom.
Here's a pic of the USB charging panel, it lights blue when the power switch is turned on. The USB port in the lower right are defective, that's why is isn't illuminated, I have a replacement on its way from Amazon.
Attachment 9702

Attachment 9703

Here is a pic of the rear SUMO Installed, it's an easy install but those tires are heavy and I'm going to be feeling that for a few days.

Here is where I put our 12V/USB hub in our bedroom:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171019_075409.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	9709   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171019_075617.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	9710  

Name:	20171019_075644.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	9711  

Old 04-14-2018, 12:24 AM   #2838

THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Here is where I put our 12V/USB hub in our bedroom:
Looks good.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:34 AM   #2839

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnyfolks View Post
Looks good.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #2840

THOR #11100
Dino, can you charge iPhones/Androids on a 12v USB? I was reading that its not a good idea as not all of the devices can utilize the newer "fast-charge" protocols which use 12 volts over 5.2 volts. I am trying to research this because I will be using some older iPads for my dash apps which specify 5.2 volts for charging.

I am considering buying this device for my dash power.
"DROK DC-DC Buck Power Supply Module 9-36V to 5V Low Voltage"

Any thoughts??
HatrackRV is offline   Reply With Quote