Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #3241

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
On my coach, when it is lightly loaded (16,200 lbs), the Sumo springs make the small bumps more noticeable, but the coach sway is reduced somewhat. If the coach is maxed out (18,000 lbs), they really make a difference, as the coach now does not hit the bump stops with breaks in the pavement. Coach sway is reduced so that leaving a filling station with raised ramps is no longer a problem. Opinion: depends on what worries you. If you expect a smoother ride increasing the coach's spring rate (that is what they do) won't help. Just like the CHF the Sumo will reduce sway somewhat.

Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:34 AM   #3242

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I dont need installation credit because my time isnt worth anything

BUT I do want the new sumos. Hopefully they are a stand up company and do the right thing by sending me the new system.

Ill let you guys know what happens after I talk to them tomorrow

Jerry
Yes, they completely removed the 1 part springs and the only ones for any F53 from 2012 - 2018 are the two part design. either SSF-170-40-2 or SSF-173-40-2.

I had them on my 2016 Hurricane and loved them, they make a difference from the first time you roll out the driveway. Put them on my 2018 Challenger and same thing.

You need to talk to them and get the new design. The rears are still 1 part in all models.
2018 Thor Challenger 37KT
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:41 AM   #3243

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
On my coach, when it is lightly loaded (16,200 lbs), the Sumo springs make the small bumps more noticeable, but the coach sway is reduced somewhat. If the coach is maxed out (18,000 lbs), they really make a difference, as the coach now does not hit the bump stops with breaks in the pavement. Coach sway is reduced so that leaving a filling station with raised ramps is no longer a problem. Opinion: depends on what worries you. If you expect a smoother ride increasing the coach's spring rate (that is what they do) won't help. Just like the CHF the Sumo will reduce sway somewhat.
I agree with the above. You feel the bumps more but the side to side roll is reduced
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #3244

Model: 2018 Windsport 29M
State: Alabama
THOR #9405
Hi Everyone, I'm having a problem with my coach being level once I open the slide. Its a 29m and after setting the jacks to level with the auto level function I open the slide. But, when the slide is fully open and we look at it or walk around it feels and looks tilted (my granddaughter walks around in it like she's drunk). I was told not to try and re-level it once the slide was out, because it could twist and screw up the slide functioning correctly later on. Any suggestion would help!
Old 07-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #3245

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Start the engine, turn the leveling system on, select manual and raise the right side. When you find a level spot, you can always reset the auto level to raise the right side about 0.2 degrees high and that usually will correct the problem I have two slides on the right and reset the auto level the coach is always tilted with the right side high with the slides in. If I am on grass, I use my 18"x18"x3/4" plywood squares under my Snap Pads before I auto level.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #3246

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrasp58 View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm having a problem with my coach being level once I open the slide. Its a 29m and after setting the jacks to level with the auto level function I open the slide. But, when the slide is fully open and we look at it or walk around it feels and looks tilted (my granddaughter walks around in it like she's drunk). I was told not to try and re-level it once the slide was out, because it could twist and screw up the slide functioning correctly later on. Any suggestion would help!
Level the mh using manual not auto. Once it shows level, raise the side a little bit that feels lower when the slide is out.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #3247

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrasp58 View Post
I always level manually (before putting the slide out). If anything, I cheat just a hair and have the head of the bed (passenger side on the 29M) a bit higher. I used the auto-leveling feature once but it ended up like you describe. I just haven't taken the time to do the reset.

Good luck!
Kent
ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #3248

THOR #3156
I talked to sumo today. They asked me to send pics to warranty department. Waiting for the response back from them

The customer service guy i spoke said they usually give the option of the same spring or the rebel spring.
He also said they still make and sell the spring i have but it wasnt an option when i put my mh info in their product search.

Ill post sumos response when i get it

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-05-2018, 11:02 PM   #3249

THOR #3156
New sumo rebels on their way to me. They estimate a wednesday delivery date.

Stand up company and helpful employees

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-05-2018, 11:41 PM   #3250

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
I have the same issue and resolve it by manually readjusting it using a 4’ level on the counter. No problems so far. I need to recalibrate the system
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #3251

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:

Jerry
That’s great that they are so willing to make it right for you! Will you be getting a different model or the same one?
Old 07-06-2018, 12:48 AM   #3252

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
THOR #6863
Quote:

Jerry
I'm glad they're coming through for you. That was kind of weird how it all happened...and that you can't even find the set that you got which said it was for the 29M. I'm assuming that the Rebels are the 2 piece system?

Anyway, glad that you're going to have the correct springs now.

Kent
ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:13 AM   #3253

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
That’s great that they are so willing to make it right for you! Will you be getting a different model or the same one?
They gave me my choice of the same model, maxums, or the new style,Rebel.

I oped for the new style.

There was no hesitation on their part when I called and after sending them the pics. They stand by their product.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #3254

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
AC Major leak fix

This definitely applies to ACE coaches and I assume it may be all the Thors.

Today I decided I was going to line the inside of the front cap with reflectix and stuff it full of insulation. Its 80 outside and the rv is in my building so I decided to turn the AC on for comfort. While working up in the cap area I though, Man those ac vents really push some air up here, then I though "WAIT A MINUTE" I pulled the round vent closest to the drivers seat down and found out that they did not block the tunneling for the ac at the end of that vent, a HUGE amount of the ac was actually blowing up into the cap area!
I blocked it with some foam board and tape, the single AC now has the inside down to 67*, granted it is not sitting in the sun but this has to be a major help, it definitely helped the flow from the vents. The vent in the bedroom is also not blocked but it seems to dead end against a board. I am still going to block it just past the vent.

So in the pictures, I took one looking down the vent towards the front of the cap with just the flash, then I tried it using a flashlite shinning towards the front and then to confirm my find I put the flashlite up between the ceiling and the roof and took a picture looking forward down the tunnel and you can see the flashlite. The last picture at least I think it will be the last is looking towards the rear of the coach from the furthest rear vent. About 20" from the rear wall.

DANGIT! Of course it rotated all my pictures 90*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2864.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	11268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2865.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	11269  

Name:	IMG_2866.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	11270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2868.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	11271  

Name:	IMG_2871.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	11272  
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #3255

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Looks like another Thor oops that was owner repaired!!! Glad you found the problem and it was an easy fix!
Old 07-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #3256

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
Thor 293: I’m new to this RVing thing and trying to do some modifications on our 17 ACE 30.4. If you don’t mind, I would like to get some additional information on your insulation project.
Does your house AC have rectangular ducts going to the vents? Although I haven’t gotten into mine, I was under the impression they used flex-duct from the house AC to the vents. And, when you said you were going to insulate the cap, do you mean the “brow” in the cab? I apologize for the newbie questions but inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks Steamboat
Old 07-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #3257

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
Thor 293: I’m new to this RVing thing and trying to do some modifications on our 17 ACE 30.4. If you don’t mind, I would like to get some additional information on your insulation project.
Does your house AC have rectangular ducts going to the vents? Although I haven’t gotten into mine, I was under the impression they used flex-duct from the house AC to the vents. And, when you said you were going to insulate the cap, do you mean the “brow” in the cab? I apologize for the newbie questions but inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks Steamboat
No they do not use flex duct, when the roof is made they rout out the AC tunnels in the styrofoam to make ducts or they lay them up with strips of stryofoam. I included a pic from their brochure, although they show they put aluminum ducts in none of mine are, they are just cut out. Simply take the 4 screws out of one of your rounds ducts and look at the cavity and you will get a pretty clear picture. There is no need for the duct to go past that last duct behind the drivers seat. No you could add an additional duct above the drivers seat by cutting it in and then blocking the duct from going into the cap there.

Remember, the pictures I posted previously rotated on upload so turn your screen to get a better feel for it. The very last picture is looking down the bedroom duct towards the rear cap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 5.08.22 PM.png
Views:	113
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	11278  
Old 07-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #3258

THOR #1620
My next project(s) is to insulate the stairwell and storage compartment. A LOT of cold and heat comes in there. I am gonna cover it with 1-1/2" foam and seal with aluminum tape .

The project after that I am really looking forward to, as you may have seen in my previous mods, we removed half the fold down bed to make it into a shelf. Well the wife made some curtains and I put a rod up but now I have decided to box that in. Build a facia frame and attach to ceiling and the bed, I am going door shopping in Elkhart next weekend and hopefully can find some the size I want 20" x 20" preferred but will settle for close. Gonna put three doors on, dividers and at least one shelf and maybe 2 using adjustable shelf rails. So when you look at your front cubby holes each one of those would end up being a cabinet. Since we are going back on the road next year for 6-9 months at a time we need storage. Perfect place to find it right there and the drop down bed was a total waste for us. Never been used in 3 years and dont see it happening in the future either When I get under way with that I will post pictures.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:59 AM   #3259

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #2757
Quote:

Jerry

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:14 AM   #3260

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #2757
New tow dolly

Took the new tow dolly on it's initial run today and it worked flawlessly. Followed the instructions to the letter and had no problems with loading and unloading our tow vehicle!

Let the road trips begin!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tow dolly 001.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	11283   Click image for larger version

Name:	tow dolly 002.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	11284