Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 04:24 AM   #3281

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classictint View Post
The Sumos look good Jerry ! I’ll be at Kern next week I hope you didn’t catch all the trout [emoji1]
And are you going to rivernook again. If yes what site number do you like there

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:31 AM   #3282

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I left you a few. I caught several with a gold kastmaster but my main rig was 1/4 egg weight with carolina keeper 2-3ft above a power mouse tail in reg egg nightcrawler color tail

Jerry

I haven’t used a Kastmaster in a very long time ! I used good ole salmon eggs and did pretty good . I can’t wait for Kern there’s 35+ people in our group [emoji1417]

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:37 AM   #3283

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #4312
Jerry's Hurricane mods

Quote:
And are you going to rivernook again. If yes what site number do you like there

Yes Rivernook again ! We have had spot #421 a few times (partial hookup). I’m sure there’s better spots but it’s nice . I follow Rivernook campground on Facebook and won a raffle for a free weekend there out of over 3000 people !Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0405.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	11365

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:37 AM   #3284

THOR #3156
I get a little bored using bait.
Quote:
I haven’t used a Kastmaster in a very long time ! I used good ole salmon eggs and did pretty good . I can’t wait for Kern there’s 35+ people in our group [emoji1417]
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-12-2018, 04:41 AM   #3285

THOR #3156
Quote:
Yes Rivernook again ! We have had spot #421 a few times (partial hookup). I’m sure there’s better spots but it’s nice . I follow Rivernook campground on Facebook and won a raffle for a free weekend there out of over 3000 people !Attachment 11365
I like 424 and pull in sideways not backed in. That way we have a great view of the water
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #3286

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Dino,
Its just the angle of the pic plus i raised the front end up a lot to level. Whem lowered the line up great

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #3287

Model: 2018 Windsport 29M
State: Alabama
THOR #9405
Quote:
New sumos installed. Took about 30 minutes. Plus sibce i was under the mh i added dynamat to the under side floor driverside.

New sumos raised the front end only 1/2" didnt check the rise with the other set i had.

Pic is with the coach lifed to level it in the driveway. We raised and lowered it several times. The sumos line up perfectly while lowering.

Not very good pics of the dynamat. I went to the very front of the cab to the rear. Maria said it made a big difference in floor heat on her side duribg out trip to and from kernville. Outside temps were 100* i felt some heat but since i wear shoes while driving it didn't bother me much. But maria said i should do all of it so i did. Should help my feet also

JerryAttachment 11360Attachment 11361Attachment 11362Attachment 11363
I did my doghouse and under the floor on the drivers and passenger side and it did make a big difference for heat and sound. I removed the cheap installation that Thor used and replaced it with Dynamat, then put the original stuff back over that and taped the edges with Dynamat's tape. Looked great and made a big difference, probally one of the cheapest fixes I did.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #3288

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
No they do not use flex duct, when the roof is made they rout out the AC tunnels in the styrofoam to make ducts or they lay them up with strips of stryofoam. I included a pic from their brochure, although they show they put aluminum ducts in none of mine are, they are just cut out. Simply take the 4 screws out of one of your rounds ducts and look at the cavity and you will get a pretty clear picture. There is no need for the duct to go past that last duct behind the drivers seat. No you could add an additional duct above the drivers seat by cutting it in and then blocking the duct from going into the cap there.

Remember, the pictures I posted previously rotated on upload so turn your screen to get a better feel for it. The very last picture is looking down the bedroom duct towards the rear cap.

Thanks for the reply. Went to the rig this morning and performed some of the mods to the AC that you had posted. Removed the most forward vent and saw the duct runs are indeed square foam and with plenty of debris. In some home hvac systems, the duct runs are extended about 3 to 4 feet past the last vent to produce back pressure which equalizes volume coming out of the vents. Was wondering if the duct is extended for that purpose. Wait, it’s a Thor, nope just flows into infinity and beyond. Keep the mods coming, gets me out of the house.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:12 PM   #3289

State: Colorado
THOR #4597
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
I think I will check out that stuff at Lowes... Hate to tell you but the curtain liner stuff Thor uses is paper, it will disintegrate on its own within a year. I went to a fabric shop and bought real sun block curtain liner, then had a friend sew them on for me/ It makes a big difference. I also added heat film to the underside of the driver and pass areas and engine area to help keep the heat from engine heating up the cab

I like the idea of adding heat film to the cab area. Thanks for a great tip!
Old 07-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #3290

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
THOR #6863
CHF update

Just got back from our week-long trip down to Julian (in the mountains, northeast of San Diego). I gotta tell you, doing that CHF really made a huge difference in the handling of the rig. I was very impressed. On this trip, there are a lot of winding mountain roads -- to give you an idea, it takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to go just 108 miles, with the first 45 miles at normal highway speed on the interstate.

Before the CHF -- seasick. Now -- much more like driving my F250...and we're pulling a toad. I can only imagine that after installing the Safe-T-Plus things will be even better. In fact, I'm not too sure that I'm going to worry about the rear trac-bar install. I was hardly getting any push or pull when getting passed in either direction by semis or other large MH's.

I've got a question -- If I remember rightly, some of you have posted under-carriage pics showing blue and yellow shocks (maybe that was yours, Jerry). Are those Bilsteins? When doing the CHF, I noticed that mine seem to be all black. Does anyone know what these stock shocks are?...and did you feel the need to replace them?

Anyway, if you're reading this and you haven't done the CHF and you have the F-53 chassis, I highly encourage you to do it. Much less driving stress and, IMHO, much safer for all aboard.

Cheers!

Kent
ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #3291

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Kent,

The blue and yellow shocks are the OEM Bilsteins, which many folks find unsuitable. I upgraded to Koni FSD's (gold color) after the first season and they made a significant difference in stability going over bumps in the road.

Also you should consider a rear track bar that locks the coach rear axle to the frame and prevents tail wag in the wind or caused by passing trucks. Makes a really, really significant difference in handling. We no longer get blown around by passing trucks.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #3292

THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
Kent,

The blue and yellow shocks are the OEM Bilsteins, which many folks find unsuitable. I upgraded to Koni FSD's (gold color) after the first season and they made a significant difference in stability going over bumps in the road.

Also you should consider a rear track bar that locks the coach rear axle to the frame and prevents tail wag in the wind or caused by passing trucks. Makes a really, really significant difference in handling. We no longer get blown around by passing trucks.
I'll still be considering the track bar -- but I may wait until a more lengthy trip to see if the current set-up is sufficient or if I need to pursue that angle.

As for the shocks, I wonder what I have? They are definitely not the blue/yellow that you say is OEM...unless Bilstein makes a shock that is black. We're the first owners.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #3293

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Personally I don't think a rear track bar does much if you are not towing. With a 11.5' rear overhang, I really notice the dolly pulling the coach around on winding roads. A rear track bar really helped the rear twitch when towing. I suppose if you carry a lot of weight being the rear axle a rear track bar might be useful when not towing.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:27 PM   #3294

THOR #3156
I got pushed a round real bad and thats before i started towing the jeep. Rear track bar was the best mod ive done
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #3295

THOR #3156
Kent,
If you get the track bar i can help install it. Its probably a 1 to 2 hour job

Jerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMo View Post
I'll still be considering the track bar -- but I may wait until a more lengthy trip to see if the current set-up is sufficient or if I need to pursue that angle.

As for the shocks, I wonder what I have? They are definitely not the blue/yellow that you say is OEM...unless Bilstein makes a shock that is black. We're the first owners.
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #3296

THOR #6863
Quote:
Kent,
If you get the track bar i can help install it. Its probably a 1 to 2 hour job

Jerry
I truly appreciate that, Jerry. I may take you up on that down the road. I really do want to see how things go when we take a trip across the southwest this fall -- going as far east as Pawnee, OK where Pam's mom lives. That should be a good test of how things are (plus up to June Lake in about a month).

What about the black shocks I have? Any ideas as to what they are?

Kent
Old 07-16-2018, 11:19 PM   #3297

THOR #3156
I have no idea on the shocks. Can you see any numbers or writing on them.

Doing the track bar in cooler weather is good.

I want to do june loop also. Never been there.

Do you fish Kent. My favorite js big bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMo View Post
I truly appreciate that, Jerry. I may take you up on that down the road. I really do want to see how things go when we take a trip across the southwest this fall -- going as far east as Pawnee, OK where Pam's mom lives. That should be a good test of how things are (plus up to June Lake in about a month).

What about the black shocks I have? Any ideas as to what they are?

Kent
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 PM   #3298

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #2757
Current rv set up

Quick pic of our current RV and Toad setup!! I love the RV Cover we had installed one year ago last February. We purchased a pair of 22" wheel covers for the tow dolly.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windy and Stormy and Tow Dolly.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	11519  

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:04 AM   #3299

THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Quick pic of our current RV and Toad setup!! I love the RV Cover we had installed one year ago last February. We purchased a pair of 22" wheel covers for the tow dolly.
I sure wish I had that kind of space -- that is awesome! Your exterior will last so much longer. Great set-up.

Kent
Old 07-17-2018, 12:13 AM   #3300

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post

https://giphy.com/gifs/looking-good-z7u8nWDwpQB32
FMCA # F464385