Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #3321

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
About 8 one morning I was eating breakfast and heard a terrible crunching and grinding noise outside. When I went to investigate I saw the MH next to me had tried to drive off with his jacks down, he made it about 20 feet! (this was before all the safety interlocks we have now). All four jacks were bent backwards, not just a little, a LOT!!! The owner said he heard a noise before he tried to drive off, the alarm, but didn’t know what it was so he ignored it!!! Cost him a big chunk of green stuff to have the jacks removed by a mobile tech! Some people shouldn’t be allowed to own MH’s!

Old 07-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #3322

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
About 8 one morning I was eating breakfast and heard a terrible crunching and grinding noise outside. When I went to investigate I saw the MH next to me had tried to drive off with his jacks down, he made it about 20 feet! (this was before all the safety interlocks we have now). All four jacks were bent backwards, not just a little, a LOT!!! The owner said he heard a noise before he tried to drive off, the alarm, but didn’t know what it was so he ignored it!!! Cost him a big chunk of green stuff to have the jacks removed by a mobile tech! Some people shouldn’t be allowed to own MH’s!

I’m a bit more forgiving....I haven’t made that particular stupid error but I’ve made quite a few that were nearly as dumb but fortunately not costly.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:47 PM   #3323
Red

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Ohio
THOR #10451
Rear View Monitor

Hello

I have a question or two about power for the Review Monitor Mod.

I have installed it and it works great (same unit that Jerry and a few others got). Until we turn the fans on over the front seats that are attached to the bottom of the front cabinets under lowering bed. Then the monitor with flick to a blue screen and back every so often, no pattern. During the day it's just annoying but at night it's unusable . I've installed an inline filter on the power line and it helped a little, but not enough. Has anyone else had the issue and if so how did you work around it?

Rear View Safety recommend finding a dedicated line. I'm using the power line that went to the OEM switch and connected to the ignition. I want to keep it connected to the ignition if possible. Open to suggestions.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kevin (AKA Red)
2011 BMW M3 Convertible
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:09 AM   #3324

THOR #5196
Red, I have my power hooked up to the wiring that went to the original switch box and have not experienced any problems. I run my fans frequently when driving and have never seen any type of flicker or blue screen.

Since you have tried adding a filter to the monitor you might try adding filters to the fans. Interesting problem, let us know if it gets better and what you did.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:08 AM   #3325

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Same for me for the power. No problems.

THis may be a dumb suggestion but have you checked you connections to the cameras power. Assume you use butt connectors is it possible you didnt crimp properly and the problem is coincidental to your usage of the fan

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #3326
Red

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Ohio
THOR #10451
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Same for me for the power. No problems.

THis may be a dumb suggestion but have you checked you connections to the cameras power. Assume you use butt connectors is it possible you didnt crimp properly and the problem is coincidental to your usage of the fan

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
Not a dumb question at all. Seeing that I can leave the fans off and there is no issue and as soon as I turn them on, the screen flashes. And it's all of the cameras at the same time. It has to be the main power. I did check all the connections to be on the safe side and didn't find anything.
Super D suggested I filter the fans. That may be my next move, it's not much of an investment to do so. I did find one loose green wire under the dash, though am not sure it's powered. That is worth a look as well in hopes that it is an isolated line.
Please keep the suggestions coming and thanks to all.

Red
2011 BMW M3 Convertible
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #3327

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
I’ve installed a Rear View Safety 10in quad view monitor in our 17 ACE as well. I’m hoping this discussion thread will provide give me some insight as to why my monitor is constantly going to a black screen and then defaults to the quad view even when I had it on a full screen single view. I have tried the aux power outlets below the radio and also the power going to the heater fan but get the same result. Wanted to use the power line that was attached to the Switch Box but for some reason it doesn’t seem to have juice to it (could there be an inline fuse). Rear View thinks there may be some type of power fluctuation that is causing the monitor to refresh. I’m not aware of another power source in the cab area to try that wouldn’t be connected to the chassis system. I am not electrically inclined and welcome any guidance.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #3328

THOR #5196
Try tapping into the cigarette lighter plug. Lighter plugs are usually not tied into anything else due to their current draw, I would then ground directly to the MH frame in a location somewhere away from the dash.

This is very interesting since many of us have installed new monitors using the factory switch box wiring and have not had any problems.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #3329

THOR #8716
Super D.....Since I couldn’t get power from the switch box supply, I attached the power and grd from the monitor wiring harness to wires on a aux plug that goes into the cig lighter and plugged it in. Are you saying to tap into the hot wire that goes into the cig lighter and grd somewhere else? Looks like there is a central ground spot on a piece of framing that is inside the dash and forward toward the firewall. Several white wires going to that spot. Do you think that would be worth a try. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #3330

THOR #3156
why couldn't you get power from the original source, the splitter box????

That's where we got the power. If yours is dead you should trace the wire back to find the problem and check the ground

If your screen goes black then comes on to quad view I'd say you either lost power or lost ground. So something isn't hooked up right

If your cameras worked with the radio before the quad view then quad should work with the same wires

Don't know if there are any inline fuses. I'm sure there's at least one in the fuse panel

Good luck

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #3331

THOR #8716
Halfprice: Not sure why the power is out that powered the splitter box. After I disconnected the box, could not get power in the line. Thor tech told me the white wire is power but I’m not sure that is correct. I don’t have power in any of the wires that were connected to the box. I removed the radio face to look for an in line fuse but couldn’t find one and all of the fuses in the driver side panel seemed to be ok. I could deal with the refreshing but defaulting back to the quad view is aggravating. Thanks
Old 07-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #3332

THOR #3156
Here's the wire color code for mine

Check yours they could be different. Make sure the ignition key is on accessory

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180725-101449.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	11752
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #3333

THOR #3156
what I did was cut all the wires from the box then I crimped a butt connector on all the wires. Using my volt meter I checked them all. Once I determined power and ground. Ground probe stayed in ground. Pos probe got moved to each connector until it got power, left, right signal and reverse.

Again key has to be on for this

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #3334

THOR #3156
and the radio has nothing to do with the monitor.

You have three coax camera cables and the power harness from the box. One rca type wire going to the radio. The rca isn't needed.

The gabess wires are power, ground, left signal, right signal, reverse, and audio if you have a mic in the rear camera
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-25-2018, 08:23 PM   #3335

THOR #8716
I will run another check of the wires . Don’t have a blk/grn, just black but I would assume that is the reverse wire.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:34 AM   #3336

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
I will run another check of the wires . Don’t have a blk/grn, just black but I would assume that is the reverse wire.
Never assume anything My wiring and I believe Daves were the same. Dinos was different.

So put butt connectors on each wire individually then test with a volt meter.

Good luck

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #3337

THOR #5196
Here are the wiring codes that Dino wrote down, hope this might be helpful when checking for power. I did not hook up the turn signal triggers on my coach, just the reverse, I didn’t like the view changing when using turn signals. Since you can view all three cameras at the same time I don’t see any need to have trigger wires hooked up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E4EFA906-1047-4AA7-83B0-FE70164B1C74.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	11779
Old 07-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #3338

THOR #8716
Super D: Thanks for reposting. I had taken a screen shot of your wiring diagram several months ago when I first got the monitor and tried the sequence but a couple of wires on mine didn’t work the same as yours . I tend to agree with you about the turn signals, using the mirrors for the sides is sufficient. I will try again using the switch box wiring and hopefully I can get power to the monitor that way. I wish I had paid more attention in Electric Shop now. Thank you.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #3339

THOR #11100
Advice driving the Ford 53

Just took our first trip in our new THOR ACE while flat towing a Ford C-Max Energi. Went great!!! Drove from central Indiana to Raymond New Hampshire. So I have some questions for you experienced drivers of a motor home on a Ford F53 chassis. 1. I had the Tow/Haul button depressed and when slowing down the motor home, it would shift into a very low gear and really wind out the engine. Is this normal?? 2. Going up hills with cruise control on, the engine would sometimes shift into lower gears, as it should, and really wind up to 4000+ rpms as it attempts to maintain speed. Its really screaming. Can this engine run in a sustained fashion like this up a hill? I would disengage the cruise control and just take the hill more slowly. Do you all do the same thing? 3. Generally the ride was pretty good but some highways in America are in rough shape and the ride can be pretty difficult. I have Sumo Springs and a Safety Plus installed. I would just push through the rough ride. Is this everybody’s experience as well? Thx for the advice.
HatrackRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:15 PM   #3340

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
Super D: Thanks for reposting. I had taken a screen shot of your wiring diagram several months ago when I first got the monitor and tried the sequence but a couple of wires on mine didn’t work the same as yours . I tend to agree with you about the turn signals, using the mirrors for the sides is sufficient. I will try again using the switch box wiring and hopefully I can get power to the monitor that way. I wish I had paid more attention in Electric Shop now. Thank you.
I originally had the trigger wires hooked up but the delay really bugged me so I cut them off. Seeing all three cameras at one time is good enough
FMCA # F464385