RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #3341
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,702
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatrackRV View Post
Just took our first trip in our new THOR ACE while flat towing a Ford C-Max Energi. Went great!!! Drove from central Indiana to Raymond New Hampshire. So I have some questions for you experienced drivers of a motor home on a Ford F53 chassis. 1. I had the Tow/Haul button depressed and when slowing down the motor home, it would shift into a very low gear and really wind out the engine. Is this normal?? 2. Going up hills with cruise control on, the engine would sometimes shift into lower gears, as it should, and really wind up to 4000+ rpms as it attempts to maintain speed. Its really screaming. Can this engine run in a sustained fashion like this up a hill? I would disengage the cruise control and just take the hill more slowly. Do you all do the same thing? 3. Generally the ride was pretty good but some highways in America are in rough shape and the ride can be pretty difficult. I have Sumo Springs and a Safety Plus installed. I would just push through the rough ride. Is this everybodyís experience as well? Thx for the advice.
Tow use tow haul mode all the time except on the freeway when I'm using cruise control. Having the tranny down shift will save your breaks

When climbing I turn off cruise. I can get a better feel of the incline with my foot.

From everything I've read the Ford motor was made to rev high so no worries about that
__________________

__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:48 PM   #3342
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
Posts: 29
THOR #11100
Thx so much Jerry. Do you experience a rough ride on highways in need of repair in your Hurricane?? What do you do, just push through?
__________________

__________________
2018 THOR A.C.E. 29.3
Cmax Energi Toad
SumoSprings, Safety Plus
HatrackRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:54 PM   #3343
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,702
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatrackRV View Post
Thx so much Jerry. Do you experience a rough ride on highways in need of repair in your Hurricane?? What do you do, just push through?
yep just push through. But the ride hasn't been that rough. Sometimes if it real bad I'll slow down a bit
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:00 AM   #3344
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 2,333
THOR #6411
The engine rpm is computer limited to a max of 5,200 rpm. It will up-shift if that limit is reached regardless of the transmission selector's position. Max Hp is 320 hp @ 4,000 rpm. The engine's torque is basically flat a 400+ftlbs from 2,750 to 4,100 rpm. (at 4,000 rpm the engine is producing 420 ft lbs of torque). Ford list the engines life at 200,000 miles with scheduled maintenance. This engine has been used in Fords larger trucks and vans since 1997. Detroit Chassis started using Triton V-10 in the F-53 chassis which it manufactures for Ford in 1999. Noisy at high rpms, yes. Will 5,000 rpm continuously hurt the engine, no.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:49 AM   #3345
Senior Member
 
DenverTransplant's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
Posts: 388
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatrackRV View Post
Just took our first trip in our new THOR ACE while flat towing a Ford C-Max Energi. Went great!!! Drove from central Indiana to Raymond New Hampshire. So I have some questions for you experienced drivers of a motor home on a Ford F53 chassis. 1. I had the Tow/Haul button depressed and when slowing down the motor home, it would shift into a very low gear and really wind out the engine. Is this normal?? 2. Going up hills with cruise control on, the engine would sometimes shift into lower gears, as it should, and really wind up to 4000+ rpms as it attempts to maintain speed. Its really screaming. Can this engine run in a sustained fashion like this up a hill? I would disengage the cruise control and just take the hill more slowly. Do you all do the same thing? 3. Generally the ride was pretty good but some highways in America are in rough shape and the ride can be pretty difficult. I have Sumo Springs and a Safety Plus installed. I would just push through the rough ride. Is this everybodyís experience as well? Thx for the advice.

We use Tow/Haul mode just about all the time - towing a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. We tow a lot in the Rockies and have lots of occasions to get the engine up around 4500 RMP. That gets me up the grades to the tunnels on I-70 at around 40 MPH. Going down we run a lot at 4500 RPM which keeps the speed down to around 50 MPH with only having to occasionally tap the brakes as we go down from 11,000 ft to the kinda-sorta 5280. (For those who care about such trivia, there are two 5280 markers that I know of - one on the state capital steps (which is actually off by a few feet), and at Coors field the purple row of seats in the upper deck is at 5280)
__________________
Rick
2017 Thor ACE 30.1
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #3346
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
Posts: 105
THOR #8716
Found the reason I wasnít getting power through the wire from the splitter. Had blown 5 amp fuse way up in the left corner of the the driverís side block. There was much rejoicing and care taken not to blown the dang thing again. Connected the quad monitor to red wire for power and the white is the ground. Didnít have time to run a check to see if that cured the refreshing issue on the screen, will do that this weekend. Thanks for all the input.
__________________
Steamboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:55 PM   #3347
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,692
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
Found the reason I wasnít getting power through the wire from the splitter. Had blown 5 amp fuse way up in the left corner of the the driverís side block. There was much rejoicing and care taken not to blown the dang thing again. Connected the quad monitor to red wire for power and the white is the ground. Didnít have time to run a check to see if that cured the refreshing issue on the screen, will do that this weekend. Thanks for all the input.
Glad you found it, hope that fixes your problem
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #3348
Member
 
jdharrington's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M, 50Amp
State: Texas
Posts: 76
THOR #10418
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrasp58 View Post
I saw a post about using Dynamat on the engine cowling, so I tried it and it does make a big difference. I took off the original insulation that Thor had on the cowl (which wasn't on properly) and replaced it with Dynamat, then put the original stuff over that. I also placed Dynamat under the drivers and passengers floor, from under the MH. Between both of those additions it sounds about half as loud, we can have a normal conversation and when I'm on the phone thru the MH the person on the other end can actually hear me clearly. I would recommend this to everyone.

Tony
Hi Tony,

We have the same problem with the noise level and I would like to do this mod. Could you provide information on how you removed the engine cowl. Was it difficult to remove and reinstall after you installed the Dynamat?

Thanks in Advance!
__________________
JD & Eva H.
2018 Thor Windsport 29M
Good Sam Elite Member
USAF Veteran
jdharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:59 PM   #3349
Member
 
jdharrington's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M, 50Amp
State: Texas
Posts: 76
THOR #10418
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelDolan View Post
I swapped out my DVD player to a WiFi enabled Blu Ray player and watch Netflix on HDMI 3 in the dining area, HDMI 2 in bedroom and I assume HDMI 1 outside.
Just wondering if anyone has tried getting a thumb drive with music files to play on the outside TV and speakers using the DVD player? I've been able to plug the thumb drive into the outside TV USB plug and play a few music files, but the Sieki TV does not recognize most music file types.

I also have not been able to get a DVD to play on the outside TV or the bedroom TV.

Thanks in advance
__________________
JD & Eva H.
2018 Thor Windsport 29M
Good Sam Elite Member
USAF Veteran
jdharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:29 PM   #3350
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,702
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdharrington View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tried getting a thumb drive with music files to play on the outside TV and speakers using the DVD player? I've been able to plug the thumb drive into the outside TV USB plug and play a few music files, but the Sieki TV does not recognize most music file types.

I also have not been able to get a DVD to play on the outside TV or the bedroom TV.

Thanks in advance
hmmm. Why do you want to play the music through the TV. The outside speakers "B" work fine with the TV off

Your DVD player should be connected to the switch box over the dining table. Make sure its on. Might need to push the selector button. The box is two channel I believe

I bought a separate DVD for the bedroom and never used the outside TV to watch a DVD. So I guessing on this

Let us know if you get it working

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #3351
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,702
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdharrington View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tried getting a thumb drive with music files to play on the outside TV and speakers using the DVD player? I've been able to plug the thumb drive into the outside TV USB plug and play a few music files, but the Sieki TV does not recognize most music file types.

I also have not been able to get a DVD to play on the outside TV or the bedroom TV.

Thanks in advance
Reread your post. Sorry my answer was bad info. And I can't help you. Good luck
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:03 PM   #3352
Member
 
jdharrington's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M, 50Amp
State: Texas
Posts: 76
THOR #10418
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
hmmm. Why do you want to play the music through the TV. The outside speakers "B" work fine with the TV off

Your DVD player should be connected to the switch box over the dining table. Make sure its on. Might need to push the selector button. The box is two channel I believe

I bought a separate DVD for the bedroom and never used the outside TV to watch a DVD. So I guessing on this

Let us know if you get it working

Jerry
Thanks Jerry,

Not really trying to play the music through the TV, but instead I'm trying to get music to play on the 2 outside speakers.

I was able to get the music to play on the outside speakers by plugging the thumb drive into the outside TV USB port, changing the source on the TV to USB. Then I selected the "B" output in the bedroom stereo system and I could hear the music from the USB on the outside speakers. But, as I said the TV outside did not recognize most of the music file types.

The DVD player has a USB plug and I was hoping that it would play there and recognize the file types, and I would be able to set it up to hear the music on the outside speakers.
__________________
JD & Eva H.
2018 Thor Windsport 29M
Good Sam Elite Member
USAF Veteran
jdharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #3353
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,168
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdharrington View Post
Thanks Jerry,

Not really trying to play the music through the TV, but instead I'm trying to get music to play on the 2 outside speakers.

I was able to get the music to play on the outside speakers by plugging the thumb drive into the outside TV USB port, changing the source on the TV to USB. Then I selected the "B" output in the bedroom stereo system and I could hear the music from the USB on the outside speakers. But, as I said the TV outside did not recognize most of the music file types.

The DVD player has a USB plug and I was hoping that it would play there and recognize the file types, and I would be able to set it up to hear the music on the outside speakers.
Do you have a laptop that you can bluetooth pair with the bedroom stereo system? Should be able to play anything that way.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:22 PM   #3354
Member
 
jdharrington's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M, 50Amp
State: Texas
Posts: 76
THOR #10418
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Do you have a laptop that you can bluetooth pair with the bedroom stereo system? Should be able to play anything that way.

Thanks Jamie, I don't have a laptop but should be able to find something that would connect with bluetooth to the bedroom stereo and that has a USB port.

Thanks for your help
__________________
JD & Eva H.
2018 Thor Windsport 29M
Good Sam Elite Member
USAF Veteran
jdharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:35 PM   #3355
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 2,333
THOR #6411
Plug your thumb drive into the BOMB (the box of many buttons), and select the outside TVs HDMI cord and turn the TV on. At the back radio, select speaker B and aux input. You should now hear the thumb drive on the outside speakers. That is the way Thor wired my coach in Nov 2015. It is a good chance your coach is wired differently.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:42 PM   #3356
Member
 
jdharrington's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M, 50Amp
State: Texas
Posts: 76
THOR #10418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Plug your thumb drive into the BOMB (the box of many buttons), and select the outside TVs HDMI cord and turn the TV on. At the back radio, select speaker B and aux input. You should now hear the thumb drive on the outside speakers. That is the way Thor wired my coach in Nov 2015. It is a good chance your coach is wired differently.
Thanks Jim, I actually had the USB plugged into the DVD box. Is there a USB port on the BOMB? I tried selecting different buttons on the BOMB but could not get the music to play on the outside. Do you know if there a way, other than tracing the cables or trying a DVD and the switch for each TV, to find out which button on the BOMB controls each TV?
__________________
JD & Eva H.
2018 Thor Windsport 29M
Good Sam Elite Member
USAF Veteran
jdharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:02 AM   #3357
Senior Member
 
BandG's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 222
THOR #10254
Officially Retired

I retired from my company after 22 years last week.

Today, I worked on the RV, cut the grass & got in a 30 minute work out.

I had to replace our Rayzar-1 antenna...got damaged somehow.
I did notice on the original that Thor didn't have the tab labelled "Front" pointing to the front, so I had to drill some new holes to get it lined up properly, but it's good as gold now.

I have some golf planned for tomorrow.

Getting ready for our next road trip (Bar Harbor, Maine) next week.

So far, I'm loving the retired life!
__________________
Bryce, Gracia & Shadow (4 yr old mini-Daschund mix)
US Army vet- 82nd Airborne Div
BandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:15 AM   #3358
Senior Member
 
thor293's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
Posts: 610
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandG View Post
I retired from my company after 22 years last week.

Today, I worked on the RV, cut the grass & got in a 30 minute work out.

I had to replace our Rayzar-1 antenna...got damaged somehow.
I did notice on the original that Thor didn't have the tab labelled "Front" pointing to the front, so I had to drill some new holes to get it lined up properly, but it's good as gold now.

I have some golf planned for tomorrow.

Getting ready for our next road trip (Bar Harbor, Maine) next week.

So far, I'm loving the retired life!
Congrats! I have till next June then I am calling it quits at 62 and 6 months! Have a great life man, you are gonna love it!
__________________
2015 Thor A.C.E. 29.3
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Ohio FMCA 317123
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:18 AM   #3359
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
Posts: 980
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandG View Post
I retired from my company after 22 years last week.

Today, I worked on the RV, cut the grass & got in a 30 minute work out.

I had to replace our Rayzar-1 antenna...got damaged somehow.
I did notice on the original that Thor didn't have the tab labelled "Front" pointing to the front, so I had to drill some new holes to get it lined up properly, but it's good as gold now.

I have some golf planned for tomorrow.

Getting ready for our next road trip (Bar Harbor, Maine) next week.

So far, I'm loving the retired life!
GOOD FOR YOU! I love doing my projects around the house & motorhome. We (DW & I) still tell each other "Oh wait, we don't have to wait til the weekend!"
__________________
Pat & Becky & now Katie
Wenatchee, WA
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:19 AM   #3360
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 2,333
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdharrington View Post
Thanks Jim, I actually had the USB plugged into the DVD box. Is there a USB port on the BOMB? I tried selecting different buttons on the BOMB but could not get the music to play on the outside. Do you know if there a way, other than tracing the cables or trying a DVD and the switch for each TV, to find out which button on the BOMB controls each TV?
The HDMI cables in the back off the BOMB are color coded. If you can get to the back of the TVs you can see what the color code is. I have it my Thor book in the coach but I did not commit them to memory. That button needs to be depressed along with the input selector button. The operating manual for the BOMB is on the Internet.
__________________

__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×