Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2018, 12:19 AM   #3581

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: California
THOR #3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMo View Post
Oooo...I like the looks of that! I think I had something similar years ago that I used for filling lanterns with white gas. I'm assuming that you get it into position and then apply downward pressure.

Great tip! Thanks!

Kent
Yes it looks like you just push it down the one I use you have to give it a twist I believe I got it from Walmart it had a tube hooked to it that I took off it also works

Richard

FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:25 AM   #3582

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
https://smile.amazon.com/ScanTool-OB...1_2_sspa&psc=1

I've been using this brand for several year on my vehicles, just swap it between them. Give fuel usage in several way, instant, average and long term. This one is android and Windows, they my one for iOS but it costs more..
Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:40 AM   #3583

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Does the oil pour out of the container quickly?
The one i use twists and if you squeeze the container it does

Richard
FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #3584

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Kent
For the oil fill I use a funnel. I put a 6" piece of water hose on the end of the funnel. Used black electrical trade to secure the hose to the funnel. Just a safe guard to insure the hose didn't fall into the oil tube. Doing this keeps the funnel in place without worrying about the funnel falling out while pouring the oil in. I but quart oil and slowly pour it in. Only takes a few minutes with no mess.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:37 PM   #3585

THOR #3156
Kent,
Forgot to wish you a great trip. Post some pics on the way

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 09-30-2018, 11:40 PM   #3586

Model: Windsport 35C
THOR #8449
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Kent
For the oil fill I use a funnel. I put a 6" piece of water hose on the end of the funnel. Used black electrical trade to secure the hose to the funnel. Just a safe guard to insure the hose didn't fall into the oil tube. Doing this keeps the funnel in place without worrying about the funnel falling out while pouring the oil in. I but quart oil and slowly pour it in. Only takes a few minutes with no mess.

Jerry
Thanks for sharing the hose idea, I'm gonna add that to my maintenance arsenal
Old 10-01-2018, 12:36 AM   #3587

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Kent,
Forgot to wish you a great trip. Post some pics on the way

Jerry
Will do! Have a great time at the balloon festival -- and thanks for the funnel tip, Jerry.

Cheers!

Kent
ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:52 AM   #3588

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #2757
Quote:
Well, now that my wife officially retired 2 weeks ago, we're getting ready to hit the road. Heading across the northern parts of Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma -- and then returning to SoCal with a more southern route (never been to Carlsbad Caverns). Taking about a month.

I wanted to take a moment and thank Dave, Jerry, Dino and many others for tips on preparing to take such an extensive trip. At 3,500 miles, I decided to do the first oil change. Installed a Fumoto valve (can't wait until next change to use it!) I also found that the most difficult thing I've done yet in all of the things I've done (CHF, front and rear, snap pads, etc.) -- was to add the dang motor oil!! Holy cow! What an engineering nightmare!

I remembered that Dave had mentioned in the past using a hand-pump that connected right to the 'can' of oil. A tad tedious, but no more laughable mess (or was I crying...?) In fact, for you 29M owners, if you get one of these pumps -- mine was from AutoZone for $10 -- the fill tube fits right into the dipstick tube. This allowed me to rest the oil container on top of the grill and pump away. You do want to keep a close eye on the fill tube to make certain it doesn't pop out of the dipstick tube during the pumping process. That did not happen to me. I swear. Thank you, SuperD !!

I will post if I come across things to look for with our rigs...or to confirm ideas already brought up. Said it before, but I'll say it again -- what Jerry started here has made a positive impact on all our lives. Comfort, convenience and safety.

To those of you heading to the balloon festival...enjoy! I'll wave as I go by!

Kent

Have a great time Kent and you are welcome!!!!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:39 AM   #3589

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Well, now that my wife officially retired 2 weeks ago, we're getting ready to hit the road. Heading across the northern parts of Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma -- and then returning to SoCal with a more southern route (never been to Carlsbad Caverns). Taking about a month.

I wanted to take a moment and thank Dave, Jerry, Dino and many others for tips on preparing to take such an extensive trip. At 3,500 miles, I decided to do the first oil change. Installed a Fumoto valve (can't wait until next change to use it!) I also found that the most difficult thing I've done yet in all of the things I've done (CHF, front and rear, snap pads, etc.) -- was to add the dang motor oil!! Holy cow! What an engineering nightmare!

I remembered that Dave had mentioned in the past using a hand-pump that connected right to the 'can' of oil. A tad tedious, but no more laughable mess (or was I crying...?) In fact, for you 29M owners, if you get one of these pumps -- mine was from AutoZone for $10 -- the fill tube fits right into the dipstick tube. This allowed me to rest the oil container on top of the grill and pump away. You do want to keep a close eye on the fill tube to make certain it doesn't pop out of the dipstick tube during the pumping process. That did not happen to me. I swear. Thank you, SuperD !!

I will post if I come across things to look for with our rigs...or to confirm ideas already brought up. Said it before, but I'll say it again -- what Jerry started here has made a positive impact on all our lives. Comfort, convenience and safety.

To those of you heading to the balloon festival...enjoy! I'll wave as I go by!

Kent
Kent, hope you have a GREAT TIME, and a SAFE trip!!! Post pictures if you have time, would love to see them!
Old 10-01-2018, 02:15 AM   #3590

Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
I've got to find the "Oil Buddy" for my M29. That will make my first oil change much faster and less messy.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #3591

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I have an F-53 chassis and the oil filler tube is too high and in an awkward location. I tried using a screw-on plastic hose on a one quart oil container, but that took much too long. The last time I changed oil, I bought the oil in five quart containers and poured the oil into a one quart oil container with the small diameter opening. I was careful not to overfill the quart container and was able to pour the oil into the filler tube without spilling a drop. Filling the quart oil container was easy because I used a funnel.
Walmart has a nifty little flexible red plastic spout that fits a quart container perfectly. About a buck. Works great.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:43 AM   #3592

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
My ACE 30.1 has almost no clearance above the oil fill spout. I use one of these to get oil from outside the engine compartment into the engine without spilling a bunch of oil.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UZHFO4FIDNZR74
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:20 AM   #3593

Model: 27k
State: Missouri
THOR #13292
Took a week to read 180 pages but got it done! One thing I don’t find is anything on f53 rear air bags. I installed a set with remote fob, sumo’s up front and safe t. Also did lug centric centering sleeves. World of difference. My thought was bags offered more versatility to varying weight etc and serves similar purpose as sway or trac bar. Thoughts? As for my 2015 Hurricane 27k we bought it with 9500 miles thinking it was a good deal. Floor in slide replaced due to leaking outside light, new hydraulic pump and various adds like tpms, digital hd antenna, and auto level. First 20 miles new wiper fell off. Pinched the metal hook and ordered better ones. Generator doesn’t have oil pressure shut off so have a new one now after 366 hours on old one. Expensive lesson to learn that 4000kw needs oil changed every 100-150 hours. Onan In race trailer is 5500kw so I assumed incorrectly about oil concerns. front dash dropped 2 inches on drivers side. Fixed with extra support and screws but looks tacky. Rear axle flange for leaf springs was welded 1/2 inch off. Finally fixed and aligned now. Seats flaking and other small quality issues. All can be fixed but poor value for the money IMO. Removed center console that no cups fit and screwed down a center console from eBay that has storage and cup holders. Going to do CHF and dynamat next. Blew hydraulic line last week. Anyone have a red hose running the length of the rv that looks like air hose? Couldn’t repair so CW is installing new one. Should be a braided line that’s repairable. Put rain gutters on to stop the runs. Anyone have an issue with the window seals between the top and fixed bottom side windows? Sealed with rv caulk. Holding for now. Sorry many things in one thread but we do love the layout and rv is awesome traveling with the kiddos. I’ll try to post pics but still learning the site.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #3594

THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bowe View Post
Walmart has a nifty little flexible red plastic spout that fits a quart container perfectly. About a buck. Works great.
Thanks, Tom! I'll check it out.

Cheers!

Kent
Old 10-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #3595

THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
My ACE 30.1 has almost no clearance above the oil fill spout. I use one of these to get oil from outside the engine compartment into the engine without spilling a bunch of oil.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UZHFO4FIDNZR74
Thanks, Rick!

Kent
Old 10-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #3596

THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStuart View Post
Took a week to read 180 pages but got it done! One thing I don’t find is anything on f53 rear air bags. I installed a set....
Welcome to the forum. Post some pics when you figure it out. I'm especially interested in what you found for the center console.

Cheers!
Kent
Old 10-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #3597

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStuart View Post
Took a week to read 180 pages but got it done! One thing I don’t find is anything on f53 rear air bags. I installed a set with remote fob, sumo’s up front and safe t. Also did lug centric centering sleeves. World of difference. My thought was bags offered more versatility to varying weight etc and serves similar purpose as sway or trac bar. Thoughts? As for my 2015 Hurricane 27k we bought it with 9500 miles thinking it was a good deal. Floor in slide replaced due to leaking outside light, new hydraulic pump and various adds like tpms, digital hd antenna, and auto level. First 20 miles new wiper fell off. Pinched the metal hook and ordered better ones. Generator doesn’t have oil pressure shut off so have a new one now after 366 hours on old one. Expensive lesson to learn that 4000kw needs oil changed every 100-150 hours. Onan In race trailer is 5500kw so I assumed incorrectly about oil concerns. front dash dropped 2 inches on drivers side. Fixed with extra support and screws but looks tacky. Rear axle flange for leaf springs was welded 1/2 inch off. Finally fixed and aligned now. Seats flaking and other small quality issues. All can be fixed but poor value for the money IMO. Removed center console that no cups fit and screwed down a center console from eBay that has storage and cup holders. Going to do CHF and dynamat next. Blew hydraulic line last week. Anyone have a red hose running the length of the rv that looks like air hose? Couldn’t repair so CW is installing new one. Should be a braided line that’s repairable. Put rain gutters on to stop the runs. Anyone have an issue with the window seals between the top and fixed bottom side windows? Sealed with rv caulk. Holding for now. Sorry many things in one thread but we do love the layout and rv is awesome traveling with the kiddos. I’ll try to post pics but still learning the site.
Tony,
Welcome to the club
Looks like you've done some work. Please post pics and more details as it helps everyone understand what you did.

I haven't seen or read much on air bags and not sure about the "red air hose"

Sometimes its easier to take a pic and ask about it only. Lots of knowledgeable people on here

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #3598

THOR #13292
I’m trying to add photos. Bare with me! Appears I can only load one at a time.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #3599

THOR #13292
Dash photos

You can see a screw in one pic. That was OEM. The board and four new screws are working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1FD4C8B6-1E70-4BD1-9AE0-A2E004A06CD1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	13207   Click image for larger version

Name:	895A297F-88AF-4E39-8E1E-F0A3510E3489.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	13208  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AEF35A92-450E-4D85-B186-BFA2B99591A1.jpg